Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bayol05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Yo!

I've had this recurring problem with Leopard's Finder. I'm running a Mac Pro. The Shared section keeps showing me machines or routers that either aren't there or aren't accessible. Look at the image I attached, I sold the MacBook Pro a week ago, and its been showing up in SHARED even though its long gone. And this second 'airport-extreme' listing is confusing me. Obviously the top airport extreme is the real one, but what's with this second one showing up?! Its even showing it as a PC! I have restarted many times since the MBP was here. Oh man, I hope someone out there can shed some light on how to get these two rogue "shared devices" outta my finder...

Bring the miracles please!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 48,069

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Is YOUR Airport Extreme secured? Are those other entries other machines wirelessly connecting to your network?

-Kevin

bayol05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Is YOUR Airport Extreme secured? Are those other entries other machines wirelessly connecting to your network?

-Kevin

Yes, the Airport Extreme Network is secured with WPA2. The 'gateway-pc' and 'kyle-pc' are my roomates' computers, i.e. they are supposed to be there. But the 'MacBookPro' is definitely the MBP I had and sold a week ago. There is no way that it is someone else's because even when I try to connect to it, it fails without even prompting for user name & password. And the second airport-extreme, same thing, fails to connect and I have no clue why its there. They both seem to be old aliases, and I would love to find a way to delete them or even refresh the entire Shared section.

Thanks

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Yes, the Airport Extreme Network is secured with WPA2. The 'gateway-pc' and 'kyle-pc' are my roomates' computers, i.e. they are supposed to be there. But the 'MacBookPro' is definitely the MBP I had and sold a week ago. There is no way that it is someone else's because even when I try to connect to it, it fails without even prompting for user name & password. And the second airport-extreme, same thing, fails to connect and I have no clue why its there. They both seem to be old aliases, and I would love to find a way to delete them or even refresh the entire Shared section.

Thanks
Try disconnecting from your wireless base station, and then go to Finder > Preferences, click on the Sidebar item and uncheck everything under "Shared", then click on OK, go back to the Finder preferences, click "Sidebar", and re-check the items under "Shared", and reconnect to the network.

You can also select what shared things you want to see here (computers, shares, devices, etc).

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I've searched and searched online and I see lots of people WITH the problem. But not one has yet to solve it.

Let us know if you get it solved.

-Kevin

bayol05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Hey Guys, thanks for the responses...

So iCeFuSiOn, I tried that and its funny, the MacBook Pro is showing up when I enable/disable Back To My Mac in the Finder Prefs...very weird. When I sold the MBP, I erased the hard drive therefore breaking that .Mac connection for Back To My Mac. Yet it still shows up...

Mr Todd

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
I think I got it

I had the same deal. My mac mini kept showing up even though it had been turned off for about 2 weeks.

Finally I got it to go away by turning off "back to my mac" in system preferences .mac

Now I don't see it anymore...

nerdie

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
The macbook showing there is a back to mac issue, try de-registering your macbook from the .mac preferences panel (Sync/Advanced button). That should solve it.

The airport extreme appearing twice is a weird behavior of Leopard, when you share a drive in airport extreme for both macs and pcs, then you get two icons, one for mac, the other for windows.

Apachestyle

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2008
Similar Problem

Yea so i search for anyone to have a problem like mine and yours is the closest so far... the only difference is that im getting random phantom computers showing up on my secure and hidden network. as you can see in the picture i have four other computers on the network and the time capsule. then theres that random mac address i guess it would be. i get more than one of them. say on my mac pro and imac i have one phantom mac address and my macbook pro i have none. then the powerbook and mac mini have 2. there is only two of the addresses but inconsistently showing up and disappearing on each computer. does anyone have any idea what the could be from or are? the only other things that use the network are a ps3 and two iphones. and maybe my two printers... the ps3 is off the majority of the time and when i power off the iphones they addresses still stay. im so lost and just want to get rid of them! i would greatly appreciate any information or help from anyone - applecare was clueless and not to knock them but i get more answers from the web. thanks in advance

Attachments

• Mac Mini.png
    Mac Mini.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 47,451
  • Powerbook.png
    Powerbook.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 346
  • Macbook Pro.png
    Macbook Pro.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 47,471
  • iMac.png
    iMac.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 47,462
  • Mac Pro.png
    Mac Pro.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 364

Digital Louie

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2006
I too had a similar problem to Apachestyles. I found a lengthy name of jumbled digits starting with Mac. I also found that it was a NETBIOS name and was able to be changed in System Preferences... It's still there, but shows the new name anyhow. Have no idea what it is, does, or how the heck to get rid of it. Now I show my MacPro as a Mac server and a PC server. Confusing

MacBeast

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2008
I have recently started experiencing something similar. It took me a few minutes, but finally realized that the extra Shared devices were things on my network, but were being recognized differently than usual.

Two of them are network printers that never use to show up here before. One is my Airport Extreme (n) that does not have a disk attached, and never used to show up here either. The icons for all three are the generic PC icon.

Other Macs on my network use to show up with the normal Mac icons. That still happens initially, but after a little while they change to the generic PC icon too. I don't know what changed, other than my machine has locked up a couple of times, requiring me to do a hard restart.

great57

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Could be your ISP

Until a few days ago, I NEVER saw anyone elses machines on my shared network. Now I see people's machines come and go throughout the day. I have even been able to access some people's machines and download documents from them. This is a serious security problem. I have confirmed that it is the TWC Roadrunner that somehow is letting Mac users see one another's machines on the network.
I am NOT talking about wifi either, I have the same issue when my G5 is plugged directly into the cable modem. This is not a Leopard issue, I have included a screen shot for my MBP running Tiger as well, same problem.
The machines that are mine are 'book' 'five' and 'kitchen'. Since many of the network names include people's real names. I have even looked them up in the phone book and called them, one has confirmed that he can see the same people's names in his network as well.
I have also seen other people's iTunes libraries showing up in iTunes and have even been able to play music from them over the network.
I am in the Rochester, NY area. If you are too, please feel free to contact me. Better yet, contact Time Warner Cable if you have Roadrunner. It took me days to convince them that this was there problem.

Attachments

• shared4.jpg
    shared4.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 322
  • shared3.jpg
    shared3.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 46,982
  • shared2.jpg
    shared2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 47,012
  • shared5.jpg
    shared5.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 46,950

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I'm getting this too -- can't get any access to the oddball device.

My big question is this -- does having a device show up this way suggest that one's own network is insecure or that someone else has configured a device improperly?

Benicio10

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
the same thing happened to me when i changed the name of my aiport express device. now i see a shared computer with my old airport name.

i also changed my computer name and now i have the old computer name showing up in shared.

the mac00uyr82u48723o4 showed up too.

Force Quitting finder didn't work for me!

UPDATE: I'm on 10.5.5 and the extra shared computers ended up disappearing.

nick8718

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2007
my problem: under shared I suddenly found my AEBS under its original name and my AEBS under a name i'd given it. I couldn't connect to the original name but couldn't get rid of it either. I went back into utility and renamed the AEBS to its ORIGINAL name .. and now there's only one entry!

I'm afraid i haven't a clue how you can use the same solution to cure the MBP problem - but have you tried downgrading from 7.4.1 to 7.3.2 just to see if that makes any difference - BUT REMEMBER TO SAVE OFF YOUR OLD SETTINGS IN CASE IT ALL GOES PEAR-SHAPED.

Good luck

Nick

geoffrow12

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
finder ->shared ->all ???

hi i have this thing where all these network neighbourhood icons keep showing up in my finder what does this mean?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-01 at 1.43.46 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-01 at 1.43.46 PM.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 855

blkhwk1

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
I found out what to do

Since the Shared column uses a sort of metadata to find the name of the connection, the name is stored onto the list. But it is supposed to delete it once the connection is terminated. As it was said in an earlier post, you have to go to the finder prefs. Before you do this, you need to terminate your internet connection, and turn off airport. Then you go to Finder>Preferences>Sidebar and uncheck Connected Servers, Back to Mac, and Bonjour Computers. This should reset the Shared list and the Computers should no longer be there. If they are, then it is a network security problem

caprigayle

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
same thing

I'm having the same issue .. resetting the sidebar prefs did not resolve. there is no network security issue .. how can this still be an issue for several years?

David796

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
No shared items

I too have a problem. Have been speaking o MAC support about it.
Have a netgear Router and have just installed an Airport Extreme with intention of hooking up a hard drive so I can tun Time Machine. Airport Extreme is running and can "see" the drive when plugged in via USB, BUT my iMac cannot see the drive and when going to Finder there is nothing shown for shared devices!! The techie at Mac got me to put a startup boot on the external drive to see what the Mac looked like with a virgin/fresh boot (to rule in/out interference from software on my HD installation. Booted this fresh and still no sign of hared items.
So I have an unusable Airport extreme.
NB when the External drive is connected direct to the iMac it can be seen OK so there seems to be a Share problem.
I await Apple's response and will share resolution if I get one, OR there will be an Airport Extreme for sale!:confused:

18thole

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2010
Shared Users: Finder SideBar Shared

With regards to the FINDER SIDEBAR SHARED folders issue had occurred on my recent travel when I used the Las Vegas, NV airport free wifi network identified as McCarren. When I opened up FINDER I saw all these other, what appeared to be, MAC computer users in the airport on the same McCarren wifi network. It sort of scared the “you know what out of me”.

I called Apple Care at 800-275-2273. I was directed to Click the APPLE Icon top left hand corner. After the APPLE window opens, CLICK PREFERENCES, CLICK SHARED Icon. Another Window opens up identified as the SAHRED window. Within that window you have printing sharing, website sharing, network sharing, and other types of sharing. CLICK ON FILE SHARING and a side window shows 2 columns with left column identifying the HOST Computer name and the right hand columns identifying the files you are sharing. The sharing could be either read/write, read only, or blocked. At the bottom of the Left column CLICK the “-” (minus sign) to remove the Host name. When the Host name is removed you will no longer be visible to other persons in the network.

The Apple Care person says the shared files will always come up when you are in a public network because that is the way MACs are structured unless you opt out of WIFI AIRPORT (not Las Vegas airport but MAC AIRPORT), meaning turn your AIRPORT OFF. At least know one else can see you. Now if you want others to see you according to the Apple Care person, all blocks on the Left Column are to be DE-Checked so no one can access you without your permission.

Do not forget if you enter known private networks (friends or business) and you want to share you will have to go back to file sharing and enter your computer Host Name into the left hand column.

I am not completely satisfied with names showing up and disappearing, but as long they cannot see me I am good with this situation. Hopefully this helps for all.

eriddler

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
Network USB Drive

Dredging up an old post I know but...

Recently have been updating my network, and on my network I had a USB drive connected to my router with the name ReadyShare. It showed up in the Shared area in Mac's Finder.

I have since changed that setup and no longer have the Readyshare USB drive connected. I ejected it properly and it is not connected to the network, but readyshare still shows up in Finder. When I click on it, it shows Connection Failed (obviously, since it is not there).

I cannot get rid of it whatsoever. I've tried the tips located in this thread to no avail. Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks!

mark-in-seattle

macrumors newbie
Why has Apple not Fixed ghosted SHARED List ?

Searching for a solution to this ghosted SHARED list problem has revealed it has been a multi-year ongoing issue for Mac users without a fix for the vast majority of suffers. APPLE SUPPORT can not seem to fix this either for folks....

WHAT IS GOING ON with APPLE networking ????

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Seeing this problem in Lion. Had a USB stick attached, ejected it properly, now I an entry under SHARED in Finder that won't go away related to the USB stick. Also got rid of my Mac Mini and not that too has changed to some number and will no go away.

Anyone know how to clean up the SHARED list in Finder??

fmotta

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
Good tip

Since the Shared column uses a sort of metadata to find the name of the connection, the name is stored onto the list. But it is supposed to delete it once the connection is terminated. As it was said in an earlier post, you have to go to the finder prefs. Before you do this, you need to terminate your internet connection, and turn off airport. Then you go to Finder>Preferences>Sidebar and uncheck Connected Servers, Back to Mac, and Bonjour Computers. This should reset the Shared list and the Computers should no longer be there. If they are, then it is a network security problem

This worked! thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.