Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHNguyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Hello,
I recently bought a replacement keyboard on ebay for my MBP and just installed it. It's been about a week, and just today, I noticed the capslock key doesn't work.. I'm not sure if it has been this way, or if it recently just stopped. The light doesn't come on at all.

I was curious if this was a common problem? If not, is their anything I can do as a substitute for caps lock? Another key perhaps? Or, a button on the task bar or something?

I can't really do anything about it. I don't know if it was damaged when I bought it, or if I damaged it when installing, or if I just installed something that made it stop working all of a sudden.

snsless70

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2008
I also just bought a replacement keyboard from Ebay and my caps lock key does not work. I was very gentle and have some experience with replacing the keyboard so I don't think it was anything I did.

I wonder if this has something to do with the num lock and caps lock problems that some other people have reported with Leopard? I tried resetting the PRAM as some of the other forums have suggested for that specific problem, but it didn't clear up my problem.

I checked and my caps lock key is enabled in the keyboard preferences. I tried disabling it and the re-enabling it. It still doesn't work.

Anybody else having this problem? Anyone have any ideas?

riggzby

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Hi there,

I've also got this very same issue - even gone through the process of buying several keyboards in order to check that its not a keyboard-specific problem.

Has anyone had any success in rectifying the problem with the caps lock key?

Thanks,

Simon

andrebu

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
17 inch keyboard cable differences affect caps lock

I had exactly the same problem after replacing my keyboard. It turns out that I had bought one for a core 2 duo 17 inch. They are NOT compatible with early 17 inch models like mine. There were some cabling/mapping changes made starting with the core 2 duo. They sell both versions at pbparts. If you install the wrong one, your caps lock key will be dead as a rock.

Quoting from a 2007 service source:
"Changes between the MacBook Pro (17-inch Core 2 Duo) and MacBook Pro (17-inch) keyboards were improved backlighting, and the re-programming of the caps lock key to fix a developer keyboard mapping issue. Thus, the keyboards among all 17-inch MacBook Pro models are not interchangeable."
The entire document which is the best I've ever seen is at:
http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/old/Macbook/MacBook%20Pro%20(17-inch,%2017-inch%20Core%202%20Duo%20and%2017-inch%202.4GHz)%2007-06.pdf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.