Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

severe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2007
I'm a new owner and like what I'm seeing so far with Apple TV. As I've mentioned in another thread, my favorite use so far is streaming online content that I've converted to an iTunes format.

However, I don't understand what advantage (other than taking one's ATV to another location) dumping movies, etc, has on one's viewing and/or storage habits. Am I correct in thinking that once I sync up some selected movies to my ATV I can't remove them from my iTunes library? I was hoping to use the ATV's HD for 'storage' of movie files and trashing the ones from my other drive(s).

Streaming content has been fantastic so far, using my G network. So much so that I don't see the advantage (other than what I was hoping) of having data on ATV's actual drive.

Does someone care to set me straight? How are you guys handling your files?

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
I'm a new owner and like what I'm seeing so far with Apple TV. As I've mentioned in another thread, my favorite use so far is streaming online content that I've converted to an iTunes format.

However, I don't understand what advantage (other than taking one's ATV to another location) dumping movies, etc, has on one's viewing and/or storage habits. Am I correct in thinking that once I sync up some selected movies to my ATV I can't remove them from my iTunes library? I was hoping to use the ATV's HD for 'storage' of movie files and trashing the ones from my other drive(s).

Streaming content has been fantastic so far, using my G network. So much so that I don't see the advantage (other than what I was hoping) of having data on ATV's actual drive.

Does someone care to set me straight? How are you guys handling your files?

It's an option for use during less than optimal network conditions. I wouldn't say it's an advantage so much as it's a Plan B there when you need it. But some people do prefer it as Plan A and streaming as Plan B. Either way, good design.

Alfie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
In my situation, I feel that syncing actually simplifies using the device. I have movies, music and pictures synced to my ATV basically for my kids to use. My wife can start a movie for the kids at any time without wondering:

1. Is the computer on?
2. Is iTunes open?
3. Is the wireless network working?

For geeks like me, these questions are no-brainers, but for the more technologically-challenged out there, they don't want to think about that stuff. They just want to press "Play" and have the movie start.

severe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2007
Thanks for the responses.

So.. it seems to be just a matter of preference. Ok. Works for me.

Alfie... I can surely see how syncing the the ATV's HD would be beneficial to you. I would do the same in your situation, which is probably fairly common.

Thanks again.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
I know for me, since I have a MBP, I need music, some video and pictures on the AppleTV.

This way, if I am away with my MBP, my wife can still listen to music, look at pics or watch a movie/tv show.

For some, their setup would benefit from syncing and others won't. It is nice to be able to use it for your own needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.