Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Can people still leave voicemail though?

I was in Spain and turned data roaming off, which disables visual voicemail and someone told me that when they called they said my number was out of service. :confused:

chadrob30

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
In front of my Mac.
you have no edge service. the voicemail service uses edge data service

So if I'm at home on my wi-fi but EDGE is down I can't get voicemails? Doesn't make much sense but I guess it is what it is...anywho, I rebooted the phone and I got a whole day's worth of voicemail. All is well now.

akirkorian

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
Solution

After traveling in Europe for three weeks and having data roaming off, I had this issue as well. I tried a number of different solutions that I found on the Internet, but ultimately I was able to finally get it resolved after spending time on the phone with the ATT support tech. The problem seemed to be that the iPhone "forgot" what the features were to access voicemail. Here's what we did:

1. Go to Settings->General->Reset and reset the network settings. The phone will restart.

2. Go to the Phone and open the dialpad. Type in the following sequence on the iPhone and hit the CALL button.

*5005*86*8622513567#

3. After you hit the CALL button you will notice the screen flashes. :)

4. That's it.

After implementing these steps, visual voicemail popped up and worked right away on both 3G and 2G.

Alen

imelda

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
After traveling in Europe for three weeks and having data roaming off, I had this issue as well. I tried a number of different solutions that I found on the Internet, but ultimately I was able to finally get it resolved after spending time on the phone with the ATT support tech. The problem seemed to be that the iPhone "forgot" what the features were to access voicemail. Here's what we did:

1. Go to Settings->General->Reset and reset the network settings. The phone will restart.

2. Go to the Phone and open the dialpad. Type in the following sequence on the iPhone and hit the CALL button.

*5005*86*8622513567#

3. After you hit the CALL button you will notice the screen flashes. :)

4. That's it.

After implementing these steps, visual voicemail popped up and worked right away on both 3G and 2G.

Alen

Dear Alen, It worked just beautiful, I had exactly the same situation after I spent a couple of weeks in Europe. Let me tell you that at first I had my doubts because of the carrier, it is different from mine, but it helped me to solve my problem transparently. Thank you so much for sharing.

Imelda

BeckyA

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
Thank you Alan Kirkorkian - your solution worked great! Beforehand, though, I went in and looked at all my network settings so I could make sure I knew how to configure it again. I had to enter in my wi-fi password again once I got the voicemail working again.

lousley

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
Voicemail unavailable. Unable to connect. Try again later.

[/COLOR]I just bought a iPone 4S and I'm getting the above message every time I try to set up my voicemail. Any ideas?

imswimmin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
I'm having this issue as well on my 4s. It tells me that the voicemail is unavailable. Does anybody know why?

hikeril

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
AMAZING! IT WORKED! I contacted verizon to see what they could do to assist with the problem. They are sending me a new iPhone because they think it is the iPhone that is not working properly. I am amazed that following the steps noted above only took two minutes yet verizon is sending a new phone. Oh well at least it is working. Thanks!!!!!;)

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Still works on iPhone 4s for Verizon

Works great. I did some research and it seems to reset how the iPhone connects to VM system.

DSHoisington

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
WORKED FOR ME: Check if you have an application called Onavo Extend on your phone. I found deleting the profile in Settings > General fixed the error.

Last edited:

Charlie769

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Deleting the Onavo Profile! Genius.

WORKED FOR ME: Check if you have an application called Onavo Extend on your phone. I found deleting the profile in Settings > General fixed the error.

Deleting the Onavo Profile also worked for me. Thanks DSHoisington

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.