Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
I was playing around with the ringtone settings and i just couldnt find the standard 'ring' (not that I want it). go and watch an iPhone commercial on youtube, and towards the end of the ad it ringed like a normal phone, and of course, it's not available in the iPhone.

Apple's making fake ads hey? LOL just kidding.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Not sure what specific ad you're referring to, but I think you might find the user in the ad is dialling out and the tone you hear is the outgoing call sound you hear after you dial (i.e. when the other person's phone is ringing, not yours).

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
it's one of the first things I noticed when I got my phone in June. it's a standard ringer the ad people put in, though I wish apple would include such a ringtone (what phone doesn't?). marimba is fun and all, but I just want to hear a phone ringing.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

almost every character on the Chuck tv show has an iPhone and their ringtones are all old Ericsson ringers. I guess the sound editors just grab any stock ringer they have on file.

constant L

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
another discrepancy i noticed and others probably as well is that when some one calls it shows the contact picture in the bar on the top. when i have incoming calls it puts the pic on the whole background...including outgoing calls. But when i dial my own number it displays it like in the commercial..weird

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
another discrepancy i noticed and others probably as well is that when some one calls it shows the contact picture in the bar on the top. when i have incoming calls it puts the pic on the whole background...including outgoing calls. But when i dial my own number it displays it like in the commercial..weird

it depends on where the pic is added from. if you set the contact photo on the phone it shows up as wall paper. if it is added in say address book on a mac, it will show up like they have it in the commercial. i hate that i wish i could pick. i like the way it shows in the ad a lot better but i usually add my photos on the phone

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
If you go into the sound effects in garage band there is an effect called "Cell Phone Ringing" and it sounds almost identical to the one in the ads. I put it on the phone and it also sounds louder than most of the other ringtones.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
The song is called perfect timing just download that and use garage band to make it into a ringtone, thats what i did.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
The song is called perfect timing just download that and use garage band to make it into a ringtone, thats what i did.

I've got that song :) yeah and I meant (to below) the standard ringtone that just about on every cellphone in the world that rings towards the end of the video.

myphone

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
USA
I've got that song :) yeah and I meant (to below) the standard ringtone that just about on every cellphone in the world that rings towards the end of the video.

BTW, puke means really bad word in our language and I cannot post it to this forum.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I Googled it and was able to find it. I have it installed on my phone and it works well (by renaming the file to .m4r, it makes it into a ringtone).

If you search hard enough, you'll find it.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
FYI the "cell phone ringing" effect file is here:

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/iLife Sound Effects/Work - Home/Cell Phone Ringing.aif

Drag into Garageband, convert etc. and you're away.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
Can someone upload it somewhere, or would that be too naughty :p
I don't have garageband installed on my machine right now...

Ed

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I was able to buy the iPhone commercial...

online, then take it to GB and "poof" I use the ringtone as my Default Ringtone. Took it to Macworld and everybody was really impressed with it. Make sure you turn the volume up while in GB! :cool:

ajpegg

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Thanks - I've been trying to find this for ages.

I've converted it to m4r format and reposted it here for convenience.

philMBP

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2007
I'm glad I found this thread. Thumbs up.

While I think you guys have indeed found the exact ringtone, I wonder if the commercial version isn't in a slightly higher pitch?
I've played back several vids on YouTube and the pitch seems a tad higher.
That said, if you play back the m4r file, you'll notice that it is polyphonic...the higher pitched sound can be heard if you listen closely.
I wonder if the tv ads (tv audio being low def) simply play back one voice from the recording?

Meh, I like it ;)

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
im bringing this thread back but thank you thank you thank you! ive had this ringtone since my original iPhone and i recently did something to my iPhone 4 and lost it. i couldnt find it for the life of me, thank you thank you thank you!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.