Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
After lurking for a couple of weeks, I spotted an Apple TV in the Apple UK Refurbished Store last night so ordered it straight away (for £135 instead of £199).

Now, what cables will I need? I don't have a modern TV at the moment, so will I be able to use it with an ACD? What cables will I need?

Thanks

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I assume that means no digital inputs (HDMI/DVI), so that only leaves component for cable options. The :apple:tv doesn't have composite (single, RCA type) out.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
I have an ACD. Will I be able to use it with that?

I'm not 100% that it would work, but if you got an HDMI to DVI adapter like this one you should be able to plug your ACD into the :apple:TV and you'd need to plug a stereo or something into the stereo RCA (White and Red) connection from the :apple:TV for audio.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
After lurking for a couple of weeks, I spotted an Apple TV in the Apple UK Refurbished Store last night so ordered it straight away (for £135 instead of £199).

Now, what cables will I need? I don't have a modern TV at the moment, so will I be able to use it with an ACD? What cables will I need?

Thanks

Is there any reason you didn't read the specifications before you bought the AppleTV?

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Ok, I received my AppleTV and bought a HDMi to DVI Cable off ebay, and it works great (on my ACD!!!)

However, it's a refurbished model and it's got the old software on it (version 1.1).

Is this because the new software isn't on ANY AppleTV's yet?

EDIT: Just spoke to an 'Apple Expert' and she said the Apple TV software update is already available. Anyone know this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.