Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
I am looking into getting myself a new credit card. My current one would still be a back up.
What I am looking for is something with cash back and more importantly zero fees.

Right now my top 2 picks are American Express and Discover. The thing about AMEX that is getting me is they say there is a $5.00 statement copy fee. Is that fee that is charged every month or is that only if I request a new copy of the statement?
Is there some other credit cards I should look into?

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Doesn't AMEX have a yearly fee? Don't get it. There's no reason anymore to have AMEX over any other card.

Discover? Isn't Discover like the red-headed stepchild of credit cards?

But in all seriousness . . . I'd recommend you look into a card through MBNA. They have, or at least used to (before they were bought by Bank of America), a service called ShopSafe. ShopSafe, through your credit card, issues you single-use credit card numbers to use online. Best service ever.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I like my Citi Mastercard. The cash back was decent when I got it (5% for gas, groceries, and drugs and 2% for everything else) but it's gotten weaker since then (now only 1% for general purchases and I think 3% for the other gas/grocery/drug stuff).

Otherwise the Citi card has no fees and it's useful anywhere and everywhere. :)

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
Check out http://www.creditcards.com/ and see what the various rewards offered are and the limitations. I got a new CC recently (old one was just a plain jane card with no benefits) and thats how I decided on my card.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I say Bank of America (or MBNA).

Last year, when my husband lost his job and we used some credit cards to buy gas and groceries (big, big mistake :eek:) because we felt we had no other option... a phone call to Bank of America, explained the situation - they converted our card balance to a 5 year loan at 2% interest! CHASE, otoh, said tough luck plus you missed a payment so we are RAISING your interest rate to 29.99% OUCH. I hate chase, they are worse than the mafia :mad:

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
American Express Clear has no fees of any kind what so ever. AMEX is a much harder company to get a card with, so if you can, thats good, otherwise i love my citi card. I get cash back and no fee.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
American Express Clear has no fees of any kind what so ever. AMEX is a much harder company to get a card with, so if you can, thats good,

But why? A lot of places don't even take it still (especially eateries I've noticed).

What's the advantage to AMEX if there's a fee for some of them, it's harder to get, and not every business takes it? :confused:

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
I use Amex more than any other card. There website and customer service is outstanding. They have a variety of card types to best suit your needs.

Whatever you choose, use credit responsibly. Amex is good to keep you in check when it's the type that requires full payback the following month.

Don't use credit cards for holding long term balances, as the interest rates (after promos expire) will cost you an arm and a leg. Literally. Saw off your arm and send it in.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
American Express Clear has no fees of any kind what so ever. AMEX is a much harder company to get a card with, so if you can, thats good, otherwise i love my citi card. I get cash back and no fee.

I am not to worried about my credit score getting in the way. I have a 756 score. Not bad for some one just out of college

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
I am not to worried about my credit score getting in the way. I have a 756 score. Not bad for some one just out of college

Yeah, i got one and i'm in college, so i think i'm doing well. Look around for one with good cash back, points are really a waste now adays for they don't amount to much.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
The problem with AMEX is that it is not accepted at as many places at MC/Visa. I don't carry cash at all (it is so last century), so I like to know my card will be accepted everywhere.

Capital One has the best cash rewards and consumer friendly policies out there. What is in your wallet?

Citibank is a bunch of dogs. Avoid at all costs.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have 2 Chase cards (one's actually BankOne, which was bought by Chase). One of them is a Volkswagen Rewards Visa, and the other's an Amazon Rewards Visa, and I like them both. Chase customer service has treated me well the few times I've needed to call.

Avoid HSBC like the plague though

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
But in all seriousness . . . I'd recommend you look into a card through MBNA. They have, or at least used to (before they were bought by Bank of America), a service called ShopSafe. ShopSafe, through your credit card, issues you single-use credit card numbers to use online. Best service ever.

MBNA and BofA excellent cards...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.