Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littlekenneth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
I'd try to play a .exe file from my review course, but I know .exe is a pc format software. I wondered if it's even possible to execute a .exe file in mac OS? Thanks a lot.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
A better solution is WINE

it's amazing how few people know of WINE, i personally like WINE more then crossovers, plus WINE is free. :)

Just google

WINE OS X

you'll get the result you need. :)

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Just to clarify, do you mean play the file, or open the file? Because if this file is supposedly a music or video file then we need to be having an entirely different conversation than what's been said so far.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Just to clarify, do you mean play the file, or open the file? Because if this file is supposedly a music or video file then we need to be having an entirely different conversation than what's been said so far.

Why? If it's just a self-extracting archive (ZIP/RAR, etc...) it should still open just fine in DarWine/Crossover, no? Or are you thinking of something else?

B

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Sounds like it could be a Flash demonstration or walkthrough in a Windows Executable wrapper (which ensures that the end-user can play the video even if the computer does not have Flash installed).

You could use Darwine, Crossover for Mac, or for the best experience if you really need to use a lot of Windows applications on your Mac you could use Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Why? If it's just a self-extracting archive (ZIP/RAR, etc...) it should still open just fine in DarWine/Crossover, no? Or are you thinking of something else?

B

If it's a self extracting archive then it'll decompress just fine in any OS X unarchiver. Same if it's a video file. It doesn't matter if it's a video file that ends .exe just because it's really an avi with an embedded player, if you just change the extension on the file name then you can open it up in any applicable OS X software.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
If it's a self extracting archive then it'll decompress just fine in any OS X unarchiver. Same if it's a video file. It doesn't matter if it's a video file that ends .exe just because it's really an avi with an embedded player, if you just change the extension on the file name then you can open it up in any applicable OS X software.

Sure, if you already know what you are doing. The OP doesn't seem to be quite that "adventurous" shall we say. Running it the way Mark Zbibowski (google it) intended is the only way to make sure you get what was intended...

e.g. what if the self-extracting file contains multiple AVIs, my guess is the player won't know what to do when it gets to the end of the first stream...

B

Wine...

I tried both WINE sights recommended above.

The first one seemed to work fine - at least I have the Wine Icon and folders downloaded onto my Hard Drive - but when I try to run an exe. file with it, the icon pops up in my dock for a moment and then disappears again :mad:

The second one wouldn't let me download, so I don't know what's up with that. :confused: I don't claim to be the most computer savvy guy in the world though.

Any help on what's going wrong here? It's just one exe. program I want to run, so to pay $65.95 every six months just doesn't seem worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.