Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

servo-15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Does anyone else think that their iphone has a low call volume? I have a jb 1.1.3 (1.1.2OTB) and think the volume is quieter than on my previous phones. Is this normal, or should I return it while I can?

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Mine seems to be especially low on the bluetooth headset. Using the wired headset is MUCH louder. I have it turned up all the way for bluetooth, and about half way on wired.

It seems like it is lower than it used to be. Don't know if that is just over time, or due to SW updates.

Bluetooth is always fully charged, and the phone could be right next to the headset - still to low...

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I had my orginal iPhone that I bought on July 6 that had a low speaker volume. I could hear everything fine through the ear piece. The speaker volume would fluctuate on it's own. I would turn it on and have loud volume one minute, 10 minutes from now it would be so low I couldn't hear it in a quiet room. I finally had enough and exchanged it about a month ago.

I have had no volume problems on that one ever since, I can hear when SMS come in as well as emails, all while it is in my pocket.

Since then, I have bought two additional iPhones, one a 8GB and the other a 16GB and both have excellent volume as well.

jbuckner

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
Tulsa
I have a new 8GB and the speaker phone is horrible, coming from a Blackberry I really miss the speaker phone option. The speaker phone on the iPhone is un-useable.

nate94gt

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
the earpiece speaker is very loud on mine, however the speakerphone is useless, which is too bad cuz i love speakerphone :(

servo-15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Hmm.... Thanks for the feedback guys.It seems that it is pot luck whether the call volume is loud or not. I've never actually tried the speakerphone because it has always been useless in my previous phones.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I also have a low volume iPhone, I bought it in August '07.
And I have been travelling a lot and haven't have time to go to the :apple: to ask for a replacement.

It would be interesting if you all can post when you bought your iPhones to see if this was only on old iPhones or if it is still happening with current new ones.

The relativity factor of our own deafness will always be there.
________
Yamaha FZ150i history

Last edited:

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I also have a low volume iPhone, I bought it in August '07.
And I have been travelling a lot and haven't have time to go to the :apple: to ask for a replacement.

It would be interesting if you all can post when you bought your iPhones to see if this was only on old iPhones or if it is still happening with current new ones.

The relativity factor of our own deafness will always be there.

Well, I bought my first iPhone on July 6. It was a week 26 iPhone and the volume would fluctuate all on it's own. Every 5 minutes the volume could be higher or lower than what it was 5 minutes before. I exchanged it at the Apple store because of this problem about a month ago and was given a week 1 of 2008 iPhone. No volume problems with the new one.

I also have a week 51 of 2007 and that one has no volume problems
I also bought a 16GB iPhone on Tuesday and it too has no volume problems.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
I had a week 38 purchased in October and it had was appeared to me as low volume, recently got a week 50 to replace that one due to the the screen not responding in the bottom half and it appears to have low volume. The problem is, I don't know if the phone is messed up of if it is just because I am deaf (not legally I don't suppose, but too much loud music in my ears hasn't been good to me).

servo-15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Luckily, I didn't manage to return my phone.
Now the damn thing seems to have a normal call volume! Bizarre. I just hope it stays like this now.

ioriamd

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
i planning to buy iphone this week..
can somebody compare the call ringing quality between 8gb and 16gb?

is it got small , intermidiate or really big diff of volume quality?

pls help me to decide
thanx

larlia

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2008
how I fixed it...

Maybe (hopefully) you've solved the problem by now but anyway... I had the same problem, especially when using the ear piece. I found the call volume was controlled by the ipod volume limit. After raising the limit I was able to increase the volume a lot more with the side buttons.

terp26

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
yea mine was low when I bought it last year, then it became lower to the point I could barely hear anything.

I popped 2 holes in the earpart with a pin, volume increased, while not loud and while i still have to press my phone hard against my ear, a lot better.

I do not suggest doing that , dont wanna be responsible for peoples screwed up speaker:)

john2006

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009
Hi, thought I would join this forum to update this thread.

I brought a 8GB iPhone at the end of January and I have appauling call volume, I can barely hear people talking.

I am going to try and get it replaced and hope for the best, has anyone successfully had theirs replaced becuase of this problem?

rednano74

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
Dover, DE
Does anyone else think that their iphone has a low call volume? I have a jb 1.1.3 (1.1.2OTB) and think the volume is quieter than on my previous phones. Is this normal, or should I return it while I can?

I noticed the call volume is quite lower than my Moto Q I had. But at the same time I have noticed that the call volume also depends on the other end. For the same setting, one person could be low and another person could be louder. :confused:

schoensm

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Clean the earpiece

Use a flashlight and take a close look at the earpiece screen, (the piece that covers the earpiece), hair-gel and other products build up over time on the earpiece. Use a small needle and gently scrape away the gunk. Use compressed air after to gently blow away the loose fragments. Do not blow directly into the earpiece, you could force the debris deeper into the earpiece. I only use about 15psi and hold the air compressor nozzle at about a 45 degree angle. I have to do this about every 6 months.

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
thank you!

Use a flashlight and take a close look at the earpiece screen, (the piece that covers the earpiece), hair-gel and other products build up over time on the earpiece. Use a small needle and gently scrape away the gunk. Use compressed air after to gently blow away the loose fragments. Do not blow directly into the earpiece, you could force the debris deeper into the earpiece. I only use about 15psi and hold the air compressor nozzle at about a 45 degree angle. I have to do this about every 6 months.

This seems like great advice and incant wait to try it. Well worth the captchas and blood samples i had to provide from the iphone!!

-Rafagon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.