Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldmanFunkytown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Hi,

I just recently got my new Imac and am trying to nail down what my options are for streaming music throughout my apt.

The ideal setup for me would be to have my mac run my music/audio from the bedroom and have airport express stream the audio to a Tivoli model 2 (it only has one aux input) in the living room. If I just use itunes it should be a pretty simple setup, but I have one dilemma.

I listen to a lot of Sirius radio and would like to stream Sirius internet radio to the same speakers. Is this possible with airport xpress?? If not what are some of my other options? If possible I want to avoid buying another receiver and using its fm xmiter, this would probably work fine due to the close proximity to the speakers but not a very ideal set-up.

Any advice/experience anyone has to share would be great, also if there are any issue with airtunes I should know.

Thnx in advancd
Swade

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

Stream anything. Airfoil rocks!

SL

EDIT: I didn't know what Sirius was. I'd assumed it was a software internet radio client for OS X. Looks like it's actually some sort of stand alone hardware device. Right?

Okay then, two options here, may not be what you are looking for but here goes anyway.

1. Connect your Sirius device to your Line-In on the Mac and stream using Airfoil.
2. Surely there is a way of picking up Internet radio on the Mac? How about the radio stations in iTunes. Or the BBC's iPlayer. Both these can be streamed to your Airport Express via iTunes/Airfoil.

OldmanFunkytown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

Stream anything. Airfoil rocks!

SL

EDIT: I didn't know what Sirius was. I'd assumed it was a software internet radio client for OS X. Looks like it's actually some sort of stand alone hardware device. Right?

Thanks for the info on Airfoil!! It looks like it should be able to do exactly what I was wanting to do! Sirius is satellite radio, similar to XM radio but with slightly different programing.
http://www.sirius.com/

Fortunately, Sirius also offers most of their programing on internet radio too. So with Airfoil, I should be able have my ITunes and Sirius all in a nice simple setup!

willvb

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Does anyone else have a streaming problem?

I am currently using Pulsar > airfoil > airport express > upsampling DAC > amplifier to stream sirius radio to my home system. When I do this, the output has a bunch of gaps and skips. However, when I play from pulsar to my desktop it's fine. Any suggestions much appreciated. I'd really like to get sirius working on my home audio...

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Never used Pulsar or Sirius.

However, I use Airfoil to stream a whole load of other stuff. EyeTV, Safari, RealPlayer, Quicktime, etc. I do occasionally get lots of gaps and skips. I put it down to maybe bad wireless network conditions... never fully investigated it. Most of the time it's fine.

How does Airfoil work for you when streaming other stuff?

Cheers
SL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.