Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlvx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I returned my Air today and got a full refund (they felt it was no bueno too). Over the last two days, it began getting slower and slower, the fan would never quit and the heat was incredible. The battery also would only last about ninety minutes.

Personally, I think there is something in Leopard that needs to be patched. This started occuring after I installed Fusion and started using a windows XP VM Machine. I dont know if it is related to Fusion or not... I cannot prove it one way or the other since this was also the time I really started to use the Air heavily with multiple apps like Illustrator and Office at the same time.

I replaced it with a ThinkPad X61. I really had high hopes for the Air and Leopard. Unfortunately, I think Leopard could actually learn a few things from Vista about reliability and speed. Maybe 10.5.2 will change things. :(

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Unfortunately, I think Leopard could actually learn a few things from Vista about reliability and speed. :(

You really mean that? You don't realize that just opened you up to a barrage of attack. I'd recommend you do some research on the internets and come back to edit your comment. Meanwhile, I'm gonna grab some popcorn and enjoy this.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Good for you! Amazing it was working fine and you were happy until you put WinBLOWS on it.

I'm kind of sorry to see you not buying more Apple laptops since you return them and I buy them from the refurb store as evident by your MBP and now MBA displeasure.

Vista vs. Leopard? I could have understood if you were partial to XP but VISTA?? Total garbage.

Now move along and play with your new toy. Buh-Bye....

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I remember the bright red nipple-mouse on the Thinkpad back in the mid Nineties. It was surprisingly responsive to my touch, and easily controllable.

If only there was some similar input device these days.

Oh, wait. Found one.

instant hit

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
Personally, I think there is something in Leopard that needs to be patched. This started occuring after I installed Fusion and started using a windows XP VM Machine. I dont know if it is related to Fusion or not... I cannot prove it one way or the other since this was also the time I really started to use the Air heavily with multiple apps like Illustrator and Office at the same time.

I replaced it with a ThinkPad X61. I really had high hopes for the Air and Leopard. Unfortunately, I think Leopard could actually learn a few things from Vista about reliability and speed. Maybe 10.5.2 will change things. :(

i think you expected too much out of a product that was not meant to run fusion and osx at the same time -- and on battery power no less. also, adobe apps are notorious for eating up gobs of ram. it also seems to me that most work is being done in the virtualized environment -- did you expect it to run both osx and xp as fast as you had hoped while still giving you more than 2 hours?

now, i run multiple osx NATIVE applications. here's a run-down of what i'm running this very moment: itunes, word 2008, safari, mail, entourage 2008, adium, quicksilver, dashboard, finder, google earth. and you know what? i can net 3 hours at the minimum.

i dare you to install vmware on your x61 and run a virtualized os x(86) session while running office and illustrator at the same time in vmware. come back when you get more than 90 minutes of life.

i'd have to agree with toomuchmac here -- another FUD-related post.

/rant

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008

Reliability in Vista? ROFLMAO

You're a comedian, right?

Do you know what the #1 Upgrade for a Windows VISTA computer is????

The #1 upgrade for a Windows Vista PC is installing Windows XP. ( yes it's true this is a very common upgrade )

I know a little bit about Windows!

Gary S.
MCP ID #1990266
MCP MCP+I MCSE since 2000

:rolleyes::D:p:rolleyes::D:p:D:D:D:D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Why is it that no one can mention an issue with an Apple product without being called a troll?

I see nothing that marks the OP as a troll. They bought a system that is advertised as Vista compatible, and they had problems, as many have had, with Leopard and with the MBA - running a Mac version of a VM and running Vista in that. I don't have an MBA, but my MBP is more troublesome in many ways since I went to Leopard. I too hope for 10.5.2 to bring some relief.

Why does that post mark them as a troll?

Mr. Mustard

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
CO
I think Leopard could actually learn a few things from Vista about reliability and speed. Maybe 10.5.2 will change things. :([/QUOTE]

Are you in the right place? vistarumors.com?

rowath

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
I don't understand it when people return their macs to the store and then pickup PC's. There must've been a reason you chose apple in the first place. It seems to me that you would've been much better served with a MBP and not an air.

If this was your first Mac, then I think you really just picked the wrong machine for what you were hoping to do with it.

johnlvx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
You really mean that? You don't realize that just opened you up to a barrage of attack. I'd recommend you do some research on the internets and come back to edit your comment. Meanwhile, I'm gonna grab some popcorn and enjoy this.

I think I may have to join you in that popcorn hotsauce. I am suprised here. I am by no means a mac zealot and by no means a windows zealot. Computers are tools... and now that mac's ARE PC's (X86 intel platform).. we can run all sort of neat OS's on all sorts of neat hardware. I am just trying to figure out why so many people wrap their personas up in a product. They are just machines... and in my case, the Air turned out to be a machine that didnt meet what I think was a very conservative expectation (running software). The machine was most likely defective and the Genius that helped in the return also thought so.

I also am amused that Windows XP is some kind of prodigal son now.

And to the guy who threw out his MCP no's... If I list my MCSD and MCPD:EAD no's, do my posts automatically trump yours?

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I don't understand it when people return their macs to the store and then pickup PC's. There must've been a reason you chose apple in the first place. It seems to me that you would've been much better served with a MBP and not an air.

If this was your first Mac, then I think you really just picked the wrong machine for what you were hoping to do with it.

He's already bought, ripped on and returned a MBP too. Read previous posts.

johnlvx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
He's already bought, ripped on and returned a MBP too. Read previous posts.

So, I buy a $2000 machine, the screen is bad... I am supposed to be happy about it anyway?

I buy another $2000 machine, which can barely even perform... and I am supposed to be happy about it anyway?

I am starting to think that maybe this IS a cult... What is wrong with you?

In my experience, quality control is miserable on these things... I am not just gonna roll over on it in some sort of weird dedication to the brand. It is BECAUSE of my like for the brand that I am going to demand excellence for that much money.

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Reliability in Vista? ROFLMAO

You're a comedian, right?

Do you know what the #1 Upgrade for a Windows VISTA computer is????

The #1 upgrade for a Windows Vista PC is installing Windows XP. ( yes it's true this is a very common upgrade )

I know a little bit about Windows!

Gary S.
MCP ID #1990266
MCP MCP+I MCSE since 2000

:rolleyes::D:p:rolleyes::D:p:D:D:D:D

I like this kid.

etorres

macrumors member
May 26, 2007
I dont think the OP meant to be a troll. He most likely simply expected too much from his laptop and decided it was the computer's fault that it didnt give him what he wanted. Running a virtualized OS (be it windows or Linux) on ANY laptop with Adobe apps and other programs open on battery power is a bit of a stretch.
Most likely he just didnt know any better and this being his first experience with a mac went back to his comfort zone in windows.
By the way I upgraded my windows vista running on VmWare to windows Xp.

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
So, I buy a $2000 machine, the screen is bad... I am supposed to be happy about it anyway?

I buy another $2000 machine, which can barely even perform... and I am supposed to be happy about it anyway?

I am starting to think that maybe this IS a cult... What is wrong with you?

In my experience, quality control is miserable on these things... I am not just gonna roll over on it in some sort of weird dedication to the brand. It is BECAUSE of my like for the brand that I am going to demand excellence for that much money.

what did you expect from a "MAC" forum
were all Apple ppl here.. of course were going to be defensive about it
espcially the part where vista is better than leopard

and i agree with other ppl here.. that you prob just expected too much from the macbook air.. it was never meant to run vista.. it's not a "pro" machine

Spritey

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
Canada/Norway/USA

Eeeeh...

Calling from Vista right now, which is the biggest piece of crap the world has seen. The only reason I've been running Vista for a year is because I can't find that goddamn XP disc and don't want to spend money on a new copy. XP was like pure heaven compared to vista, ESPECIALLY with respect to speed and reliability.

My computer used to be fast for my use, but with Vista sucking up 40% of the RAM at all times, bye bye speed.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm running Vista on a PC, not through bootcamp or anything

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Why is it that no one can mention an issue with an Apple product without being called a troll?

I see nothing that marks the OP as a troll. They bought a system that is advertised as Vista compatible, and they had problems, as many have had, with Leopard and with the MBA - running a Mac version of a VM and running Vista in that. I don't have an MBA, but my MBP is more troublesome in many ways since I went to Leopard. I too hope for 10.5.2 to bring some relief.

Why does that post mark them as a troll?

I don't think the post is a troll, but it does feel like astroturf. That said, I think the OP's problems are related to choosing the wrong machine for the job. Running numerous Adobe apps and VM Fusion will tax the machine's processor, this will create lots of heat, and thus the machine will run its fans.
This may be indicative of a problem, but currently, referring to the information above, it seems like the OP chose the wrong machine.

Personally, I love my MacBook Pro and Leopard has been a joy to use. I can't say enough good things about the combination.

watermelon

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I think its pretty dumb that your criticizing it, when your trying to run two operating systems at once on an ULTRAPORTABLE. This isn't meant to be a speed machine! Maybe the reason its been slowing down is because you've been installing software. Its to be expected that a computer slows down as you add new stuff to it. No computer is ever going to be as fast as it was the day you bought it.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I'm not going to even comment about the OP because I already know what he's about .:rolleyes: This post is to some of you including the moderator that think that it's okay for someone to come the Mac forum and put down the Mac OS and expect the forum members to be understanding.

Please if I went to a Windows forum and said, " I was going to buy a new PC but found Apple's Mac computers better and furthermore Vista could certainly take lessons from Mac OS X Leopard".
The response from the Windows forum would be sooooo cruel it would bring anyone to tears.
I would first get the usual ignorant response in regards to market share being small on Mac OS X, then I would get the ignorant response about limited software on Macs then I would get ,"You'll be back, Macs are retarded".
Someone comes to a Mac forum and tells us that he had a defective Mac, returned it and bought a Windows machine and then mentions that Leopard has problems and could take lessons from Windows Vista. So are we suppose to suck ass and be nice about it? There's really no reason for the OP's post, he's back to using Windows and no one was really helped here. :p

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
What is your intention to post that you prefer the ibm instead of the macbook air?
Are you looking for some mac fans to cope with your bad experience?
So we write here that you did the right thing?

New products always will have issues, and after some good quick improvement cycles get better.

It's sad to have big expectations from a mba that wasn't designed to run like a pro machine.

Anyway I have been always satisfied with the quality of my :apple: products and haven't needed to repair them, I hope my experience remains the same for my future purchases.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
I really would wait to return the MBA till atleast seeing the new leopard update.
I am convinced fan, battery, heat issues are all software related, especially after today's incident with my MBA. They are even ok to deal with right now if you play around a bit.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
VMWare for dummies:

- Virtualization requires high amount of RAM and high CPU usage.
- High CPU usage will slow down the rest of the system.
- High CPU usage will decrease battery life.
- High CPU usage will heat the computer.
- High heat will cause the fans to run.
- Happens even with MBP.

Lack of understanding of basic computing requirement is not a Leopard problem.

As the OP said "This started occuring after I installed Fusion and started using a windows XP VM Machine." Captain Obvious says DUH!!!

By the way:

Vista Slow and Dangerous
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2007/tc20070315_101834.htm

Vista named #1 biggest tech disappointment of 2007
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140583-page,5-c,techindustrytrends/article.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.