Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hottubbrad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I am having an issue with some form of OSX autofill feature that is filling in forms on my web browser(s). For example, I have Safari autofill turned off in the app but every time I open one particular website, somehow it adds a ZIP code to a form.

I have erased history/ cache/ cookies so it can't be the website doing this.
I have shut off autofill in Safari.
I shut off Keychain access for Safari.

The fill problem happens in Firefox with the same Zip code.

I even downloaded a fresh version of Navigator and it did the same thing.

Obviously it is an OS issue.

HELP please.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Autofill isn't an OS X feature, it's per browser. Turning off the feature in Safari won't affect Firefox - you'd have to disable it in each browser (and I'm not sure how to turn it off for non-username/passwords in Firefox). You can clear private data in Firefox and I think it will forget what it knows but it'll start autofilling again as you use it. I consider that a beneficial feature...not sure why you don't want it autocompleting. You can still type whatever you want instead of its suggestions....

hottubbrad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
time to overanalyze i guess.....

• I entered a Zip Code into a search form on a website. (searching for cars)
• Now I can't get rid of the zip...its not the website as I have tried manually removing it and it comes back on refresh.
• I like autofill most times BUT this time I need to remove the Zip to get an expanded search zone for vehicles
• The fact that it appears as the same ZIP in all browsers (especially the one that I downloaded this morning) points to the fact that it is OS based and not browser based.

Somehow OSX see the question ZIP?? and puts in the answer "25375"
Whay would this happen in all browsers. Especially if I only entered this ZIP in Firefox. (My zip is different so i know I only entered it one time in Firefox to search for cars in one area.)

Kind of a weird situation - but some mac head knows the answer.....
THKS

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It's possibly cookie related, although that doesn't quite explain the cross browser link; however, if each browser has the same 3rd party cookie (doubeclick, etc.), it's possible. Also likely is that they're using your IP address to guess a zip code. That's my bet. If you post a link to the site, I can see if it 'knows' mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.