Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greasyman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Chicago
Can't tell you how many hours of sleep I've lost because of those noise makers that rude and thoughtless people impose on me and others. There are at least four sets of those loud and obnoxious things I can clearly hear in my bedroom at 3 am. If I wanted to hear loud bells in the middle of the night I'd leave my alarm clock on. I don't know why people think it's ok to force others to listen to that obnoxious noise all night, anymore than thinking it's ok to blast their stereo. Some people are just pigs.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
To the defense of people with wind chimes you must have really bad walls/windows if this is truly keeping you up.

BUT, people in Chicago (aka The Windy City) shouldn't be allowed to buy them! It seems as though the subtle tones of them on a hot summer evening would be soothing so say someone who doesn't experience wind often. But Chicago?!!

I would not report them to the police. I would simply ask your landlord if they can drop a subtle reminder about noise or if you do not rent then I would simply go and introduce yourself and see if something cannot be done. Fact is not everything needs to be resolved with local law enforcement, to me that is the same method of thinking when people immediately decide to sue over nothing. ;)

I'll admit I had a windchime once. It was stolen. Something told me it was stolen for a reason. Not because someone else admired my adoring dolphin windchime. ;)

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

If its windy I might understand, but generally they're quite tranquil. Maybe you need to shut your window or get double glazing.

Reactions: WinkWink726

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
To the defense of people with wind chimes you must have really bad walls/windows if this is truly keeping you up.

BUT, people in Chicago (aka The Windy City) shouldn't be allowed to buy them! It seems as though the subtle tones of them on a hot summer evening would be soothing so say someone who doesn't experience wind often. But Chicago?!!

I would not report them to the police. I would simply ask your landlord if they can drop a subtle reminder about noise or if you do not rent then I would simply go and introduce yourself and see if something cannot be done. Fact is not everything needs to be resolved with local law enforcement, to me that is the same method of thinking when people immediately decide to sue over nothing. ;)

I'll admit I had a windchime once. It was stolen. Something told me it was stolen for a reason. Not because someone else admired my adoring dolphin windchime. ;)

well its not as if chicago was named the windy city do to its actual wind. it was called that because of its political atmosphere. but anyways...

my parents have a ton up in the backyard. never really a problem as far as i know. but yes talking to the people is usually the best approach.

the better chimes are relaxing, but the cheaper ones aren't as of good quality and are just noise makers and so i feel your pain. although as others have said your insulation must be bad too if you can hear them with the windows closed still.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
when we moved from town to the country I could not get asleep since it was much to quiet. I got used to it. Maybe you should get used to it, it's meant to be relaxing.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
Can't tell you how many hours of sleep I've lost because of those noise makers that rude and thoughtless people impose on me and others. There are at least four sets of those loud and obnoxious things I can clearly hear in my bedroom at 3 am. If I wanted to hear loud bells in the middle of the night I'd leave my alarm clock on. I don't know why people think it's ok to force others to listen to that obnoxious noise all night, anymore than thinking it's ok to blast their stereo. Some people are just pigs.

Did you ask them if they could take them down? They wouldn't be 'forcing' their wind chimes noise on you if you asked your neighbor's kindly to take them down or reduce the quantity. I know it's frustrating to have that kind of noise, but it's always nice to let them know, in a nice way, that it really bothers your sleep. If they're sane, most times they'll take it down.

Greasyman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Chicago
I asked one neighbor to take some down and she did. I very politely, actually apologetically, asked my other neighbor to and she laughed in my face. I can also loudly hear some from across the street and across the alley on the other side.

Personally I don't get it, I'd never think it was ok to just hang up a device that served no purpose other than to make noise 10 feet from someone else's bedroom window, anymore than I'd think it was ok to put my speakers on my window sill and crank them in the middle of the night, or let my dog bark all night. Some people might think they're tranquil, but other's don't, and they shouldn't impose them on other people any more than they should impose music they happen to like on others. Especially not for hour after hour in the middle of the night. It's just common sense and good manners.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
One person's tranquil is someone else's irritating - particularly if it's the only sound around in the middle of the night.

I confess to being one of those who find the majority of windchimes to be nothing more than a clanging, discordant annoyance.
Yeah, I am going to side with the "anti-windchime" group also.

Not to be too mean, but I find a lot of folks are just plain slow and inattentive and don't notice things like subtle noises. Unfortunately, these are some of the same people that buy wind-chimes. The really irritating thing is that when they are not actively listening to them, they probably can't hear them at all, while people like me are driven insane half a block away.

It's also irritating when you realise that a lot of people get these things for gifts, hook them up, admire them for five minutes and then never "appreciate" or even notice them again. That is until they disappear one day.

Talking to the people is always good, but then when they refuse or laugh in your face like the OP's neighbor, you are screwed. You can't even do a ninja style "wind-chime intervention" in the middle of the night as they will know it was you that did it since you complained previously.

To those that said close the window ... you should know that sleeping in a room without the window open is *very* unhealthy.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
I asked one neighbor to take some down and she did. I very politely, actually apologetically, asked my other neighbor to and she laughed in my face. I can also loudly hear some from across the street and across the alley on the other side.

Personally I don't get it, I'd never think it was ok to just hang up a device that served no purpose other than to make noise 10 feet from someone else's bedroom window, anymore than I'd think it was ok to put my speakers on my window sill and crank them in the middle of the night, or let my dog bark all night. Some people might think they're tranquil, but other's don't, and they shouldn't impose them on other people any more than they should impose music they happen to like on others. Especially not for hour after hour in the middle of the night. It's just common sense and good manners.

i think it depends on what the actual level of noise is. i don't have any chimes, nor have any neighbours with chimes, so i am not sure.

if these are very large cowbell-like noise makers, you might have a point, but if they are the usual chimes, that is nothing like cranking you music out of the windows.

Also, a find it a bit hard to believe that all your neighbors conspire to keep you awake with hellish chimes, so maybe you might be a bit oversensitive and are mistaking what your 'rights' to 'silence' are.

Noise levels are usually regulated, especially in residential areas, by noise ordinances (which should be publicly available). sometimes they indicate actual decibel level limits at different hours, but mostly it has to do with 'reasonableness', which is harder to assess.
Can you hear them clearly during the day? are any of the other neighbors complaining? can you also hear their TVs or when they play music?

You have right to quiet, but they also have right to reasonable activities.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
It's just common sense and good manners.

two things severely lacking by many. but i can't believe your other neighbor just laughed. thats rude.

like i said my parents have a bunch up in their yard, but i don't think they've ever caused a problem. in fact i rarely noticed them when i lived there.

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
In my very first apartment (this was almost 20 years ago) I had a downstairs neighbor who insisted on blaring his bad 80's R&B music. I was playing keyboards back then- and had a pretty huge speaker cabinet I'd made myself- with a 15 inch woofer connected to a 150w guitar amp. One evening I was trying to sleep and his stereo was thumping below. I turned the speaker cabinet face down on the carpet-- this thing was a huge plywood monstrosity-- and started playing very low freq tones at very high amplitude. I was looking for resonant frequencies- trying to get stuff on his shelves vibrating. The beauty was he probably never had a clue where exactly this was coming from. The music stopped... as if he was trying to figure out if a plane had crashed or nearby or an earthquake or nuclear attack or something... then started again. This went on for awhile- back and forth. Finally I just started using a sonic boom sound effect at random intervals. Hey I was 20- at least 2x the ***** I am now. In my old age I've learned to try talking to people first. I'd tell this neighbor the chimes are seriously driving you nuts- it's not personal.

Both my wife and I are pretty light sleepers and I have a hard time falling asleep. It doesn't have to be a big sound- just discrete stimuli. I'm a little paranoid so I don't mind this trait so much but it does suck when I need sleep to wake up to something stupid like a car running over a piece of gravel. My wife put a fan in the room (whitenoise more or less) which keeps discrete stimuli at bay. I can totally sympathize with the wind chime hatred. Even if they were pleasant the nagging disrespect on their part would make each tinkle like a little peck. You should jam some twigs up in the tubes when they're asleep. :)

Reactions: Joe h and 0002378

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Hmm...maybe you should propose a ban on wind chimes. :rolleyes: Get over it or ask the neighbors to take them down. Either way, you sound like someone with way to much time on his hands. There are a lot bigger things to worry about in the world.

EDIT- missed the rude neighbor part. Take the wind chimes down and run over them with your car.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I'm another person who's sensitive to repetitive, discordant sounds when I'm trying to sleep or work. My family thinks I'm a real wimp, but I experience these things very vividly, so I can empathize strongly with your situation.

The best thing I've been able to do to sleep through four years of noisy college-level living is to buy a "sleep machine" that produces random analog noise. The white noise is very soothing, and it's constant so there aren't any patterns in the noise that can drive your brain crazy. It's quite effective at drowning out low-level stimuli.

There's nothing you can do about rude neighbors unless you have something to bargain with. I've learned that most people will not have the empathy necessary to help you. Especially when it comes to loud music or other habits, even if they stop they'll start again in a week's time. Arg!

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
I find that windchimes can be annoying, to me at least, in the middle of the night, especially if you're having trouble getting to sleep. But what really irritates me is the barking dogs in the backyards of the neighbours...

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
I hate them. We have two at my house in RI. They are so annoying, especially during storms.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
How about a wind harp instead? ( Sound HERE )

I am considering hanging a bell on one of my horses, to make a constant sound, but with good reason. I might adopt a horse that has gone completely blind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.