Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noetus

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
I do have one question for the people with the other screens that aren't as bright. Are you using the MBP inverter or the one that came with the screen? Would an inverter that drives more power make the screen brighter, blow it up or not change anything (i.e. does the screen just draw what it needs?)?

If I understand the way LCDs are backlight correctly (certainly no expert here), a different inverter won't change the brightness of the display. The inverter supplies a fixed voltage and the current is controlled via a different circuit. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

ShadarJP

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
The inverter supplies a fixed voltage and the current is controlled via a different circuit

So...would that mean that either ALL inverters supply the same voltage or that we should match the inverter to the screen rather than the machine?

I have ordered my screen, it should arrive on Wednesday/Thursday. Would I be better to try to hunt down a Lenevo inverter to go with it?

purlah

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
10.5.2 stil happy with ATIInject on upgrade?

has anyone using ATIInject tried 10.5.2 yet?

edit: answering my own question... update to 10.5.2 and Graphics Update working with ATIInject with no problem on MBPRO C2D 2.3G

morffius

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2007
10.5.2 works great with my setup, though I am not using ATIinject or any such program. I did the sleep/wake method.

noetus

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
So...would that mean that either ALL inverters supply the same voltage or that we should match the inverter to the screen rather than the machine?

I have ordered my screen, it should arrive on Wednesday/Thursday. Would I be better to try to hunt down a Lenevo inverter to go with it?

I believe all inverters supply the same for the backlight - that it's an industry standard. But I would like someone who knows more about this to comment.

I believe most people on this thread used the MacBook inverter (and that's what I did) when they installed the higher res screen. But you're using a screen that's not really been tried before, so.. not sure.

ShadarJP

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Hmm, it's not going to get here as quickly as I expected.

ebay:laptopangels may say 3-5 day international delivery but when it takes them 4 days to post something I think it would be expecting too much to get it tomorrow.

If the backlights are standard then the inverter won't make a difference, but shouldn't physically brighter screens need more power?

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Updated to 10.5.2. No problems. Screen seems a couple notches brighter. Is that possible?

Still haven't had to use any injects or workarounds (sleep/wake methods). Mine "just works". Am I the only one? :)

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
Bryanus,
Do you have the core duo, or core duo 2? What model screen are you using?
Craig

Updated to 10.5.2. No problems. Screen seems a couple notches brighter. Is that possible?

Still haven't had to use any injects or workarounds (sleep/wake methods). Mine "just works". Am I the only one? :)

blaznc

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Can anyone post the applebacklight.kext from 10.4.9 or email to blaznc at yahoo.com? Thanks and keep up the good work!!

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
You guys using the ATIinject...do the backlit keys and screen brightness work? Or are you using "Shades" for dimming?

ShadarJP

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
It Lives!!!

The LG screen works!

I used the sleep method, wouldn't just boot even on Leo.

For those who are wondering, it doesn't have to be a 1900x screen, I just used an old 15" we had floating about at work. Hit "Detect Displays" after the swap and it bumped me up to HIGH res!

The brightness controls work fine, I've not had a chance to play with it (the machine is still in bits while I try to fix my iSight cable, Doh!) but it seems as bright as the one I replaced.

I'll post pictures and answer any questions when I get home.

EDIT

Ok, Got my iSight working again. The screen is just about as bright as the standard Apple one after calibration but the viewing angle is a lot less forgiving. Got to be right in the sweet spot or the brightness tails right off. But the increase in screen real-estate more than covers it.
I've restarted, slept and everything is working fine. I'm surprised at how well it went, apart from the minor iSight screwup.
Unfortunately I left the memory stick with the pictures of the back of the LCD board in my desk so no pictures of that 'tll tomorrow. Just one of the desktop as it is now.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 423

zhixingzhao

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
ShadarJP - good job!

I have a couple of questions, answers / comments appreciated: Where do you get the LG panel and what is the exact part number?

Are all the LG panel with LP154WU1(XX)(XX) part number the same specifications? I believe you have done some research before, are all the LG panel "LP154WU1" of the same brightness - 210 nit - as shown on the LG website?

http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd300_j_e.jsp

The brightness of the Samsung panels are 175 nit instead.

jeeb75

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
Re-Install - ATI Inject not required anymore

I just completed reinstalling Leopard and no Mods were required to have the screen run properly. I have the Samsung L-04 screen. I am wondering if the others who have had the high res screen working without any mods on Leopard have use ATIInject at least once in the past.

I am wondering if a PRAM reset will break the functionality.

ShadarJP

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
@zhixingzhao

I got a second hand LP154WU1 A1 K6 that came out of an IBM Lenovo z61p from an ebay shop called "laptopangels"
They weren't the best; slow to ship and the screen arrived really dirty. But it was only $200 and I didn't want to pay too much when I wasn't sure it would work.

As far as I can tell the different (xx) (yy) codes tell you what machine they are built to fit. The A1 K3 seems to be for Dell machines and has special brackets built in that you have to remove. Other than that I couldn't find much information on the different panels. People selling "replacement" (i.e. not LG) panels for the LP154WU1 _seem_ to sell the same one for all the codes.

I'm not sure about the brightness ratings, sorry.

bungle

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
Leopard Graphics Update 1.0

anyone done this? Does it break anything with our nice functioning 1920x1200 samsung panels?

Matt

morffius

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2007
anyone done this? Does it break anything with our nice functioning 1920x1200 samsung panels?

Matt

I have updated everything except the latest Quicktime. It all works great. The graphics update does not reset the PRAM, i believe it is just driver updates.

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Definitely DO NOT reset the PRAM. I know that messed me up so many times before Leopard. There's really no reason to do PRAM resets that I can see. Avoid it at all costs!

I just completed reinstalling Leopard and no Mods were required to have the screen run properly. I have the Samsung L-04 screen. I am wondering if the others who have had the high res screen working without any mods on Leopard have use ATIInject at least once in the past.

I am wondering if a PRAM reset will break the functionality.

noetus

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
@zhixingzhao

I got a second hand LP154WU1 A1 K6 that came out of an IBM Lenovo z61p from an ebay shop called "laptopangels"
They weren't the best; slow to ship and the screen arrived really dirty. But it was only $200 and I didn't want to pay too much when I wasn't sure it would work.

As far as I can tell the different (xx) (yy) codes tell you what machine they are built to fit. The A1 K3 seems to be for Dell machines and has special brackets built in that you have to remove. Other than that I couldn't find much information on the different panels. People selling "replacement" (i.e. not LG) panels for the LP154WU1 _seem_ to sell the same one for all the codes.

I'm not sure about the brightness ratings, sorry.

Shadar, thanks for your brave try and congrats on the success! It means I too will try this screen. Did the one you ordered (from T61P) come with the brackets or without? I would like to try and order one without - I've tried panels both with the brackets and without and the former are a huge pain. Also you risk damaging the screen getting them off.

ShadarJP

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
@noetus

The one I got came with no brackets, I saw it from the pic on ebay. That's why I went with this one. I didn't want to mess about with the brackets either.

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
@jeeb75

Now that you are running Leopard and don't need any extras like ATIinject or anything else (like me!), are you also running BootCamp?

If so, do you get funky colors in Bootcamp? Last time I tried to use Bootcamp I got funky colors, so i ended up just getting rid of it and using Fusion instead.

Prior to my Leopard install, I was able to use Bootcamp without anything like PowerStrip and never had funky colors...but my OS X screen was a mess of patches and injects...so i'm much happier now with Leopard...just wondering if maybe the 10.5.2 update might have fixed anything perhaps.

UPDATE: OK, last night I installed XP again using a different XP install disc and didn't get any of the "hal.dll" issues I had before. But I still get the crazy funky colors on the Windows side. Can anyone post their Powerstrip settings? Will using PowerStrip affect the Mac side? TIA.

zhixingzhao

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Please help

I notice that the interface of the LG panel LP154WU1 is "LVDS 2 port". Any idea what the 2 port means? Will this work with the original MBP LVDS cable?

Jeeb75 - How about your LG panel?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.