Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcegi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Chicago
Has anyone connected to an outside server through Sonicwall utilizing the VPN built into Leopard. Unfortunately, the utility from Sonicwall is Windows based and I need to access the Company's server while I am out of town. I could access through Windows under Boot Camp and save on Memory Stick and transfer over, but as you can see, this is a huge pain. Any help is appreciated as always. Thanks

MacRight

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
The solution most people use

Hey All!

With previous version of Mac OS X, I could not find any documentation that led me to believe the built in VPN client could sync up with Sonicwalls.

Most people use a piece of software called VPN Tracker from a company called Equinux.

http://www.equinux.com

If you find a way to use the built in client, do let me know!

lekun

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
NetExtender

My company uses sonicwall, but they offer access through NetExtender, which is a Java SonicWall Client (made by Sonicwall). Sonicwall just released NetExtender for the Mac (its still Java) but it works for me now.

Now I just wish I could get my iPhone to get on the VPN... stupid proprietary VPN systems.

cowsniffer

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Ssl-vpn 2000?

Hi All. We're unable to implement use of the Mac version NetExtender at our offices for various reasons. We've taken a look at using VPN Tracker as well, but did not see any support for the SSL-VPN series of devices. Anyone have any ideas/experiences with this? I assume we could create the configuration ourselves, but are unsure of the appropriate settings to do so.

Thanks,
-CS

nre999

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
I can verify that VPN Tracker does indeed work well with our SonicWall VPN solution. Plus it is a nifty little app that does not interfere with another VPN that I use elsewhere. It keeps them nice and separate.

My suggestion is to get one full version, test the VPN, get it working, then buy the VPN player for each person who needs VPN access. That way they just install, hit a button and connect. No configuration needed.

yukio

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
Sure, I do it...

...all the time.

In my case I manage the Sonicwall, so it's probably a little easier for me. Maybe I can be of some small help to you so you can skip some of the steps it took me. <g>

Let's start with the basic question that determines the method - do you know - or can you get from your IT staff - how the Sonicwall is configured for remote access and what it's looking for from an incoming VPN client?

bcegi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Chicago
I was able to successfully connect to the Sonicwall in my Office using the VPN Tracker from equinux that was mentioned in an earlier post. The frustrating part was that need complete access to Sonicwall as an administrator. I tried finding the settings logged in as a user and unfortunately for security reasons that I gathered, only certain tabs/sections are viewable as a user. Once I obtained the admin password to the Sonicwall, I copied over the settings required for VPN Tracker to work. The more amazing part about it is how fast it connects to my VPN and transfer files back and forth. The program issued by Sonicwall crashed my Airport and was horrendously slow. Well worth the $100 cost to pay for VPN Tracker.

dnb

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
Boston Area
NetExtender Client and OS X

Hi All. We're unable to implement use of the Mac version NetExtender at our offices for various reasons. We've taken a look at using VPN Tracker as well, but did not see any support for the SSL-VPN series of devices. Anyone have any ideas/experiences with this? I assume we could create the configuration ourselves, but are unsure of the appropriate settings to do so.

Thanks,
-CS

How do you have the NetExtender configured? I have been using these devices for a while now with great success. Do you have a Sonicwall VPN appliance? The SSL-VPN-200 works quite well for a small office (10 concurrent vpn connections is recommended, but it is an unlimited license)
The SSL-VPN-2000 is recommended for 50 concurrent connections.

Euge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
Hi all,

I'm reviving this thread because we've got ssl vpn implemented for our company, and I can't get NetExtender to work. It works fine from my Windows XP VM.

When I try to connect with the java client, it shows its connecting, and then it flashes an error for a fraction of a second, then returns to the "Connecting . . ." screen. The error flashes every couple of seconds or so. If I squint my eyes and stare long enough, I can see a message "NetExtender disconnected." After about 5 minutes, the app freezes and I have to force quit it.

I did a lot of searching and haven't found any info that might help me fix this. I'm running 10.5.4, and my java version is standard, 1.5.0_13.

Anyone have any ideas?

gtowle

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
Leopard VPN to Connect thru Sonicwall VPN

I'm also unable to use NetExtender with 10.5.4. I was also able to connect via XP VM, but would prefer to not have to launch VM. Would be cool if SonicWall fixed NetExtender to work! :cool:

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
I'm having the same issue. It appears to be something in 10.5.4 that's causing NetExtender to crash (and causing me to lug my work Dell home with me every night :mad: )

We'll have to wait for Sonicwall to release a fix, or Apple, or revert back to 10.5.3.

Hi all,

I'm reviving this thread because we've got ssl vpn implemented for our company, and I can't get NetExtender to work. It works fine from my Windows XP VM.

When I try to connect with the java client, it shows its connecting, and then it flashes an error for a fraction of a second, then returns to the "Connecting . . ." screen. The error flashes every couple of seconds or so. If I squint my eyes and stare long enough, I can see a message "NetExtender disconnected." After about 5 minutes, the app freezes and I have to force quit it.

I did a lot of searching and haven't found any info that might help me fix this. I'm running 10.5.4, and my java version is standard, 1.5.0_13.

Anyone have any ideas?

lukfire43

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
VPN - NetExtender not working

Were you guys able to figure out what caused NetExtender to stop working? I am having the same problem. The connection screen flashes but it won't fully connect.

gtowle

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
For me, it ended up being the version that I originally installed - provided by my client. I ended up downloading a newer version directly from SonicWall and it worked.

lukfire43

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
I've tried looking for a version of NetExtender directly from SonicWall but I haven't been able to find a download. Do you need to log in with a username and password on SonicWalls website in order to download a version directly from them? Could you point me in the right direction?
Thank you.

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
When I asked Sonicwall about their VPN software on a Mac last week, they told me:

For MAC os you need to use Vpn Tracker from Equinox. You need to contact equinox to get the software or for any technical queries regarding the client.

I am going to try IP Securitas since it is free. I only need it when I am away from home since I have a Sonicwall appliance on my home network.

sanjeevani

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
Is it possible to connect to a Cisco vpn through a Samsung Blackjack phone? Has anyone tried this? I am trying to connect to a Cisco vpn server through my Samsung Blackjack phone and can't seem to get it working properly. Has anyone tried this with success? At work we use a special Cisco vpn client to connect so I'm not sure if we need to get something special for the phone. Thanks for any help!

Scrotboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
IP Securitas

try IP Securitas. Donationware, works great.

I've been struggling with IP Securitas, trying to connect to a Sonicwall. Did you get it to work with the Wizard settings from the How To document, or did you have to tweak things a bit?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cyberhawks

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
There is an issue related to Snow Leopard, which restricts pppd access. This command will enable the "setuid" flag on PPPD, as it was in versions of OS X prior to Snow Leopard. If you open a terminal and type this in (and hit enter):

sudo chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd

This will allow the connection.
My problem is once the connection is made, the computer can not see servers, clients, nor pings using smb nor cifs. If the client computer is connected locally it sees the network fine. The user access is set up the same way as all our windows machines on the VPN. Is there anything special related to Mac to see a windows vpn network using Sonciwall's Netextender?

By the way, the latest version of netextender can be downloaded from their Demo site: https://sslvpn.demo.sonicwall.com/cgi-bin/welcome

evanwiley

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Here is the fix from Sonicwall

Article Applies To:

Affected SonicWALL Security Appliance Platforms:

Gen5: NSA E7500, NSA E6500, NSA E5500, NSA 5000, NSA 4500, NSA 3500, NSA 2400, NSA 240
TZ series: TZ 100, TZ 100 Wireless, TZ 200, TZ 200 W, TZ 210, TZ 210 W
SonicWALL SSL-VPN Appliances and Software: SSL-VPN 200, SSL-VPN 2000, SSL-VPN 4000

Firmware/Software Version: 3.5.
Services: NetExtender Version 3.5.634and below

Problem Definition:

Running NetExtender Version 3.5.634 on Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard might give the following error:
"FATAL: Pppd is not setuid-root and the invoking user is not root."

Resolution or Workaround:

Please run the below command in the Terminal. This command will enable the "setuid" flag on PPPD, as it was in versions of OS X prior to Snow Leopard.

sudo chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd

After running that command, NetExtender should work properly.

SonicWALL is working on an updated NetExtender version which will resolve this issue automatically.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
When I asked Sonicwall about their VPN software on a Mac last week, they told me:

I am going to try IP Securitas since it is free. I only need it when I am away from home since I have a Sonicwall appliance on my home network.

IPSecuritas doesnt actually route through a VPN, I was using that free download thinking i was all nice a vpn'd up and secure.

But when i did a traceroute, there was no difference between having ipsecuritas running and not running

What are you all trying to use your vpns for?

klittle32

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
One-time password frequently crashes Netextender

I need to enforce one-time passwords for my users, all of whom connect via SSL-VPN. I and one other user, however, are on Mac OS 10.6.7 at home.

I have been testing the heck out of the one-time password feature, but every time I enable it for myself, NetExtender crashes about 90% of the time following entry of username + regular password. The pop-up prompting you to enter the one-time password never comes, and I just get an error log from NetExtender. This happens with both my Macbook and iMac, but not with any windows machine.

One trick I discovered is to open safari and reset java. Then, I am usually able to get NetExtender to prompt me for the one-time password and connect successfully. This does not work 100% of the time, however.

I need to enforce one-time passwords for everyone to truly comply with payment card industry security guidelines; however, with NetExtender crashing like this, I cannot enforce it for everyone.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Edit: I was able to resolve this issue by logging in to Mysonicwall.com and downloading the latest version of NetExtender for Mac.

Last edited:

fteter

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
But Not With Lion...

Ran into a permissions problem when using Sonic Wall netExtender on Lion: lack the permissions to read/execute 'etc/ppd/peers'. Seems like a local permissions issue, but I'm still working through it. :confused:

Creativity

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
Fix for SonicWall NetExtender problem on OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard

I recently encountered and fixed yet another NetExtender problem on OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) when one of our users unadvisedly installed an older version of NetExtender over version 5.5. Here's the fix:

1. Delete the NetExtender app.
2. Delete the /etc/ppp directory (at Terminal, type: sudo rm -R /etc/ppp)
3. Re-install NetExtender from SonicWall's demo site:
https://sslvpn.demo.sonicwall.com/cgi-bin/welcome

This will get you a working copy of NetExtender 6.0 (the current version at the date of this post). Hope this saves you some time and frustration!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.