Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazy88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
as title says my safari opens and it's small how do i make it bigger

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
The green "+" will readjust it to the size necessary to fit all content on the page, and if you want it bigger, drag out the corner until it's how you like it.

Safari will "remember" the last window size so you won't have to do it again.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
why do you want Safari to take up your whole screen? youll just get white spaces either side for most sites and for forums such as MacRumors youll get very long text lines which i find hard to read especially on a wide screen display.

in answer to your question just move Safari to the very top left and drag the bottom right of the window (has 3 diagonal lines) to the right.

you can also use Saft to make Safari windows open full screen.

mediaguru

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2006
The middle of BentFork, TN
The distracting thing is when popup windows (that you launch from a link or otherwise) often resize the browser window.

The plugin Saft ($12 USD) has an option to automatically zoom all new Safari windows to fill the screen.

EDIT: Sorry, richthomas, you beat me to it... :)

crazy88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
The green "+" will readjust it to the size necessary to fit all content on the page, and if you want it bigger, drag out the corner until it's how you like it.

Safari will "remember" the last window size so you won't have to do it again.

Thank you..

Just got imac learning how to use it....

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
The plugin Saft ($12 USD) has an option to automatically zoom all new Safari windows to fill the screen.

But why is this needed? Even on my 15" mbp, I find that having a "half screen" Safari window is just ok. Surely no one needs a full screen window? :confused:

Thank you..

Just got imac learning how to use it....

No problem. :)

A little advice though, maximizing windows is really a "Windows" thing. You'll learn to leave it behind if you give the green + a chance. :)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Full screen, IMO, is not really what's needed. This feature in Saft is the closest thing I have found to forcing a consistent window size every time, however.

But unless you're looking at the same stuff every time, you can't have a consistent window (or you wouldn't want it in any case).

IMHO, the resize feature is really useful because I just tap the + and get an instantly resized window that is exactly how I need it to be.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Windows users like to have it filling the screen because it's what they're used to.

After a few weeks of using OS X and skipping between different programs, you'll realise it isn't necessary and actually a hindrance.

Not to mention that webpages aren't designed to be widescreen, so you'll get two white block on either side on most pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.