Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1nteresting

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
I am using Windows XP SP2, (going to switch to Mac as soon as I get enough money!), and I want to know how to install a plug-in in Safari 3.0.4, mainly, Inquisitor.

I've found the "Plugins" folder that is in the Safari application folder, I just don't know whether to put the entire folder there, or a certain file. >_<

Thanks for your help!

If you need any more information let me know.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I am using Windows XP SP2, (going to switch to Mac as soon as I get enough money!), and I want to know how to install a plug-in in Safari 3.0.4, mainly, Inquisitor.

I've found the "Plugins" folder that is in the Safari application folder, I just don't know whether to put the entire folder there, or a certain file. >_<

Thanks for your help!

If you need any more information let me know.

So you downloaded Inquisitor, and it was a .exe? Because I was fairly certain that inquisitor was an OS X only plugin. I didn't even know that Safari for Windows (and why are you using Safari for Windows?) could have plugins...

1nteresting

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Well, After I downloaded Inquisitor, I only got two folders, not even a .exe, or .dmg. I open the folders, only to get another folder named contents... which leads to two other folders and a .dist file.

I'm assuming Safari for Windows can have plug-ins because if you go in the plug-ins folder, there are already two pre-installed.

And... I'm using Safari for Windows because it rocks. In my opinion.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Well, After I downloaded Inquisitor, I only got two folders, not even a .exe, or .dmg. I open the folders, only to get another folder named contents... which leads to two other folders and a .dist file.

I'm assuming Safari for Windows can have plug-ins because if you go in the plug-ins folder, there are already two pre-installed.

And... I'm using Safari for Windows because it rocks. In my opinion.

no, plugin folder is for plugins, defined traditionally as Flash, embed video, java, adobe reader. plugins are essentially part of some webpages, not for the expansion of browser functions.

There are always pros and cons, you think safari for windows rocks, I take it you already considered the realality of its defects as well.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Inquisitor is OSX only, and likely always will be. If Watanabe stretches to another platform away from SafariForMac then it will likely be back to Camino.

1nteresting

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Oh well, thanks for all of your help guys. Just another reason to get a mac. :p

On inquisitors website, to my knowledge, it stated nothing about it could only run on Mac OS X, so I kinda hoped...

About my Safari likings: It used to crash a ton on my PC, but now it doesn't crash as often. Another thing it doesn't have is themes, add-ons etc... and such, like firefox. But overall, I like the feel of it, and it tends to load things faster.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
well, "not crash as often" is indeed an improvement from "crash alot". lol

But yes, it runs much better on OSX than it does on windows, like every piece of app apple written for windows. I have the feeling that apple just doesn't know how to write high quality windows apps.;)

WiseMax

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
I do have the same question... but for MAC.
Just got a plugin to read XML files... but no idea about where to put/install it.
This is for MAC. Any help?

P.S.: Safari for Windows is like Sir CrashALot :p
Safari for Mac is decent... but dull and grayish. FireFox is decent on both Mac & Windows... but still crashes some. Windows Internet Explorer 8 (now in RC1) rocks! :D

Safari has now a v: 4 beta - hope it is less dull and crashes less :eek: haven't tried it yet, but willing to do so soon. :apple:

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Just got a plugin to read XML files... but no idea about where to put/install it.
This is for MAC. Any help?

P.S.: Safari for Windows is like Sir CrashALot :p
Safari for Mac is decent... but dull and grayish. FireFox is decent on both Mac & Windows... but still crashes some. Windows Internet Explorer 8 (now in RC1) rocks! :D

Safari has now a v: 4 beta - hope it is less dull and crashes less :eek: haven't tried it yet, but willing to do so soon. :apple:

Internet Explorer is last in every tested benchmark. There's a reason Firefox became so popular...

1nteresting

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
It's funny that you guys post in my topic when it's been a year... how did you find it?

Anyways, I am excited to announce that I have a shiny new Macbook Pro! So now... I can install inquisitor. Lulz.

tomasio

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
Vienna, Austria, Europe
Windows Internet Explorer 8 (now in RC1) rocks! :D

I was using Firefox since version 0.9 and _never_ switched back to IE. Asides from other disadvantages, Microsoft does not care about HTML/CSS-Standards and is thus a major blocker in making functional webpages. Reason enough to boycott them.

WiseMax

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
@1nteresting:

I got a MacBook Pro too (customized: the fastest processor, double RAM and 7,200 RPM HD):D Nice machine, but super-way overpriced :apple:
Same thing goes for my MacBook Air - but I love the bitch's design and screen (the first one, the non-reflective one). Actually, the screen of the MacBook Pro is my biggest gripe - I really do not need a stupid mirror!... Those reflective covers should be forbidden.

@All:

Well, I still don't know how to add a plugin or add-on (in a Mac) to Safari!... :confused:

Anyone Help?...

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Well, I still don't know how to add a plugin or add-on (in a Mac) to Safari!... :confused:

Anyone Help?...

Almost all plugins come with either an installer (double-click on the install package and it installs) or they need you to copy certain files into certain directorys.

There is normally an explicit help-file which tells you what to do. Which plugin are you having trouble with?

WiseMax

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
BTW, for anyone out there with the same doubt, maybe this is a common answer (check actual plug-in instructions, though!): put it into the Library -> Internet Plugins folder in your home folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.