Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
New England
OK, now :apple:TV 2.0 is here and it looks good, but I still feel like I need more space than 40 GB, as I really don't want to keep my PC on and running iTunes all the time. So, I guess I have a few options:

• Buy a new/refurb 160 GB unit
  • Upgrade the HDD in mine to 160 GB (or largrer)
  • Revert to 1.0, enable USB and use an external...

If I went with the first option I'd move my 40 GB to the other TV.

What's the largest HDD anyone has successfully used?

B

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
OK, now :apple:TV 2.0 is here and it looks good, but I still feel like I need more space than 40 GB, as I really don't want to keep my PC on and running iTunes all the time. So, I guess I have a few options:

• Buy a new/refurb 160 GB unit
  • Upgrade the HDD in mine to 160 GB (or largrer)
  • Revert to 1.0, enable USB and use an external...

If I went with the first option I'd move my 40 GB to the other TV.

What's the largest HDD anyone has successfully used?

B

I'm looking to add harddrive space to mine, both to stop relying on my computer to be on AND to be able to have a portable library of all of my DVDs. I'm still leaning towards keeping my 40GB and just installing a bigger hard drive. In another thread I started someone posted that 250gb was the largest. I don't know if it's true or not but that's what was said. I wonder why there is a cap (if there is one)? It would seem logical that it can take as large of a hard drive as you can get (I think I saw a 320GB laptop 2.5" drive)

Cave Man

macrumors 604
In another thread I started someone posted that 250gb was the largest. I don't know if it's true or not but that's what was said. I wonder why there is a cap (if there is one)? It would seem logical that it can take as large of a hard drive as you can get (I think I saw a 320GB laptop 2.5" drive)

The ATV takes a PATA interfaced-drive, the largest of which currently sold is 250 gigs. Had Apple put a SATA interface in it you'd be able to put a 500 gig drive in it (soon, from WD and Samsung). Look for it in the next iteration, I suppose.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
New England
FWIW I've even considered making a franken-:apple:-TV to make use of larger 3.5" PATA HDDs. I've got a few DirecTV TiVos that are now unsupported due to the MPEG4 transition, so I already have some cases I could probably adapt to the task that would not look out of place in an A/V rack.

I figure I can probably remote the IR sensor and still manage to put the :apple:TV in the back of the case so the composite and HDMI connectors come out in the "right" place... 2.5"-3.5" adapter and pull power from a separate P/S for the HDD.

This way I could end up with a 750 GB :apple:TV for pretty cheap.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.