Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
hi guys

im getting a little angry here with my iphone as i have to manually prompt it like a little baby to synchronize my GMail IMAP folders by clicking on it. Is there any way i can tell it to synchronize my entire mailbox thoroughly automatically including all folders.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Zain

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
m not 100% sure this is what you meant, but go into mail settings on the iphone and turn on mail check...

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
Hi Zain,
I have the same problem with both gmail and my work IMAP email. The main Inbox syncs up fine, but any subfolders have to be opened in order to force a refresh.

As far as I can tell, there is no way around this.

cquaade

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
On my iPhone, I have successfully set up IMAP with Mac.web, with Gmail, and with Exchange at my office. I see all the folders that I have created on my computer for those accounts. However, to avoid clutter on my iPhone screen, I would like to sync -- and see -- only a limited number of these folders. How can this be managed? I've used DataViz' RoadSync on my earlier Nokia N73, where I in the client could choose what folders to sync. This I'm not able to find for IMAP on the iPhone.

jagardner1984

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
This would be my top iPhone feature request. All my email goes to my .mac account, through aliases etc, and I have Mail running at home, with dozens of rules sifting through the email and putting it in the right boxes. Without this my inbox, if left for a day for whatever reason, can have hundreds of messages in it. With it, iPhone often proclaims I have no new messages until I manually open the folders.

It gets stranger though, as it seems to sync a folder for about a day after I visit it, and then stops again. These new messages never appear in the message count on the home screen, presumably because they are not in the inbox.

So I suppose my request would be two fold, firstly for the iPhone to sync all mail folders, and second for .Mac mail rules to also be done server side, so a mail client does not have to be continually running. Given rules are synced with the server anyway, I fail to see why this is not possible.

James

stevemorales

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Same Here

We use bluehost as hosting provider for our e-mail addresses @ work, I'm experiencing the exact same thing here. I do use IMAP with almost 20 subfolders that are organized trough the server and all mail is distributed automatically to each folder.

When I use Outlook @ Work or Mail @ Home (Mac), everything works great, all mail is synced and transfered to each folder without any issues. Although this is not the case on my iPhone, I need to click each of the 20 subfolders individually for it to synchronize them. If I use POP access, then everything gets screwed up and because I work on several computers, I need to keep everything stored online and not locally.

Please let me know If you guys are able to figure out a way for this to work.

Tedrob135

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2011
Answer

I found a way to sync all your folders. Go into settings and then into mail.
Click on the mail account you wish to sync with.
Scroll down until you see the option named mail folders to push.
Select this option and click on all the folders you want to be checked and save your settings.

This works for me and I have a hotmail IMAP account set up.
Hope it works for you to.
Sorry for any unclarity.

Ted Robinson

iPod touch 4th generation 8gb
iOS 4.2.1
Not jailbroken

tirk

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wimbledon, UK
I found a way to sync all your folders. Go into settings and then into mail.
Click on the mail account you wish to sync with.
Scroll down until you see the option named mail folders to push.
Select this option and click on all the folders you want to be checked and save your settings.

This works for me and I have a hotmail IMAP account set up.
Hope it works for you to.
Sorry for any unclarity.

I *think* this will only work if your are using the IMAP account via Exchange sync. If it's a vanilla IMAP account (which Gmail isn't), there's no option (that I can find) to automatically sync or push mail to subfolders of the inbox other than opening them.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though, hence the thread bump!

Giorgosh

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
Unfortunately unless i open the folder so that it checks for email, it does not show whether there is new email in a folder different than inbox... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.