Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2000
I've confirmed that the 85W power adapter for the MacBook Pro works fine with the MacBook Air even though it ships with a 45W adapter. It will not "over drive" the battery. Ditto for the 65W adapter.

Caveat: The statement above is based on info from someone with electrical engineering expertise and familiarity with Apple products. However, when I tried out an 85W adapter on our MacBook Air, it got rather warm on the left underside -- subjectively warmer than when using the 45W adapter. We're going to run further tests and actually measure the enclosure bottom using both a temperature probe and Hardware Monitor and report back to you.

rogair

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
Been using Powerbook adapters to power iBooks for years now. Same thing with the 85w powering the Macbook. Nothing new here, but thanks for the tests.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
Good post... I have been doing this since I bought my MBA. In my office at work I have a Griffin Elevator (the stand that makes your laptop eye-level) on my desk for my MBP. I gave it a shot to see if the power brick would work with my MBA and luckily it did. Only problem is that the angle of the MBP adapter is not like the MBA. It is not a problem if I charge the MBA on the stand, or slightly hanging off the desk.

tcmacintosh

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
I recently asked an apple technician at the repair centre and and he said to me it doesnt matter. He said the voltage is reduced if you used for example a macbook pro charger on a macbook or macbook air. He said the reason apple doesnt just have one standard charger for all the notebook is because of size issues of the battery pack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.