Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
i am considering getting Apple TV, but would like to know if i can
view the internet on my TV through Apple TV, on your TV ?

Or is it just iTunes you can view on your TV ?

thanks!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
It does everything basically an iPod can do minus the Calenders and such.

Safari on the Apple TV has been a major feature request, so you never know, but right now nothing.

Having said that, the Apple TV is one of the coolest and best Apple products I have ever purchased. I really couldn't be more satisfied with it.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
i am considering getting Apple TV, but would like to know if i can
view the internet on my TV through Apple TV, on your TV ?

Or is it just iTunes you can view on your TV ?

thanks!

For internet, you can view YouTube, ITMS, Flicker, and .Mac Galleries. While it is internet capable, it does not have a general-purpose browser.

You can view any content contained in your computer's iTunes library.

You can view any/all content in iPhoto (or, on a Windows machine, any specific folder).

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Just iTunes, iPhoto, .mac galleries and flickr galleries.
... and YouTube.

The main difficulty, I would think, with full internet implementation is the lack of appropriate input devices. It'd be awfully painful to try to type in URL's with the remote, and clicking on links would be similarly painful - you could basically just use the direction keys to jump to the next link, but then would have to find a way to separate that from scrolling up/down/left/right. What I'd rather see would be the ability to use the AppleTV as a wireless base station.

aviddk

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
SW Oregon
Safari on the Apple TV has been a major feature request, so you never know, but right now nothing.

Safari would be a great idea. I wonder why they haven't done it yet? The ATV is an Intel processor isn't it? Pair a wireless keyboard and you are done. Talk about couch potato, me with a 42" monitor.

Gaelic1

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
Mountains of No. California
I have to wonder why anyone over 30 would want Apple TV and even the new LCD HD TVs. The hardware is great and functions well but the content is such sophomoric garbage. There are perhaps a half dozen movies each year worth watching. The rest is for teenagers who seem to revel all the shootups and killings that Hollywood serves up as entertainment. This takes nothing away from the young people who view it, but when will they start serving up adult entertainment for adults?:rolleyes:

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I have to wonder why anyone over 30 would want Apple TV and even the new LCD HD TVs. The hardware is great and functions well but the content is such sophomoric garbage. There are perhaps a half dozen movies each year worth watching. The rest is for teenagers who seem to revel all the shootups and killings that Hollywood serves up as entertainment. This takes nothing away from the young people who view it, but when will they start serving up adult entertainment for adults?:rolleyes:

125,000 podcasts.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
when will they start serving up adult entertainment for adults?:rolleyes:

Do you mean pr0n? :D

On a more serious note, there's plenty to use a HD TV for besides Hollywood "blockbusters" - HD documentary content from Nat Geographic, Discovery Channel, BBC etc., HD video podcasts, DVDs from your own back catalogue in glorious widescreen (esp. with an upscaling player). You don't have to watch Die Hard 27 or whatever :)

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
... and YouTube.

...and movie trailers, including HD trailers. It's not much, but as its presented it is unique to the :apple:TV (as opposed to ITMS or iPod, etc), and every now and then it's kinda cool to sit down and check out the new trailers for current and future releases.

I'll second the claim that the :apple:TV is a pretty cool product, and it's one of those things that's much cooler to actually use than it sounds on paper.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles

To each his own. I'm 36 and love my :apple:TV. I don't rely solely on the movies for rent, but have transferred my own movie collection over to it to watch anytime I want. There's also wireless iTunes music streaming, photos, and TV shows to watch on it.

As for LCD TV's, I don't understand why you would wonder why anyone over 30 would want one. Don't get your logic here.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA

As well over 30, I jumped at the opportunity to have all my CDs available at my fingertips That my wife and I could enjoy our photographs on our widescreen was a huge bonus neither of us anticipated. Then, DVDs digitally at the click of a button?

All this with 1.1, never mind Take 2.

Then my wife got this great idea: how about putting together folders of fine art and using them as the images for the screen saver?

700 images later, we can listen to our music, watch the masters' artwork on our HDTV, and later, when we're so inclined, we can enjoy a classic DVD from our collection.

We do enjoy current rentals on occasion, but have yet to rent from ITMS due to its 3X cost. (We're on a monthly plan that gets us rentals for around $1.00 ea.)

If Apple is to succeed in this rental venture, they will quickly realize that there is a backbone of rental income from the classics and, as their success builds, so will their catalog.

Frankly, I don't think many people who are interested in renting Scary Movie X are about to wait the extra 30 days for Apple to post it as a rental. I think Apple's future is in the back catalog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.