Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tony25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
I updated my macbook over the weekend which i didn't experience any problems with until last night. I turned it on and i heard scheme and the screen with the apple logo came on with the thing under it turning like it's going to load up. But it never did. I tried the PRAM reset, taking off the battery and holding down the power button for 5 seconds, I tried reseating my memory just in case and it's still stuck on that one screen. I didn't bring my disk with me so I'm stuck having to borrown another buddy of mine's OSX cds to bring up disk utility. I was able to do so and run that application to check if there was any problems. I verify permission and disk and they were all fine. But still not able to get pass that screen. I even left it running all last night to see if it'll get anywhere....that didn't work. Now I'm stuck til this weekend when I'll be home to take it in.

Any other ideas????

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode?

Did you verify the disk as well? I wouldn't suggest borrowing OS X discs from someone else unless they have an identical Mac or they are retail discs of a later operating system.

Tony25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
I'm at a blue screen now with the progress indicator flashing on and off....what is going on? :confused::confused:

Tony25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
I did a verbose mode just to see what it showed me and this is what i get at the end of it:

"Feb 20 10:44:08 Macintosh ReportCrash[91]: Saved crashreport to /Library/......"

so looks like it crashed huh??

Tony25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
guess i'll be taking the macbook in this weekend then...i dont' know what it's acting up

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I had this problem in mid-November, I took it into the Apple Store and they told me that it was a HD failure, that is what yours sounds like too. After a few complications with returning it, we found a way to get it replaced (I ended up getting an entirely new unit). I would see if you can bring it in to the Apple Store when you get home. Be sure to make an appointment ahead of time.

Tony25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
I had this problem in mid-November, I took it into the Apple Store and they told me that it was a HD failure, that is what yours sounds like too. After a few complications with returning it, we found a way to get it replaced (I ended up getting an entirely new unit). I would see if you can bring it in to the Apple Store when you get home. Be sure to make an appointment ahead of time.

Yeah i've already made an appt. But the only problem is that the hard drive T have in it right now is an aftermarket one which I replace myself. I still have the one that came with it at home. So I doubt that apple will cover this hard drive.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Yeah i've already made an appt. But the only problem is that the hard drive T have in it right now is an aftermarket one which I replace myself. I still have the one that came with it at home. So I doubt that apple will cover this hard drive.
When you get home, throw in the original drive and see if it works (although it should because of what this problem sounds like). I don't think that there is any basis for Apple to fix the drive, as they didn't supply it. Are you using time machine on your current one?

Tony25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
When you get home, throw in the original drive and see if it works (although it should because of what this problem sounds like). I don't think that there is any basis for Apple to fix the drive, as they didn't supply it. Are you using time machine on your current one?

No that's another problem, I didn't use time machine on this one. But majority of my stuff on here are on an external hard drive so i can recover almost everything besides some of the most recent stuff I have added.

Ninja Guidan

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
No that's another problem, I didn't use time machine on this one. But majority of my stuff on here are on an external hard drive so i can recover almost everything besides some of the most recent stuff I have added.

If it's an aftermarket hard drive, check and see if it's still under warranty. At least you'll be able to get it replaced then.

Tony25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
Yeah i'll have to look into that hard drive.

But now after turning it on, it goes thru the scheme, shows the apple logo and then directly to a blue screen with my mouse cursor on the top left corner...:confused::confused::confused:

Natman

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
I had the same problem this morning, it was my first problem ever with the macbook (got it in December). I closed the lid & opened it and the desktop appeared as if nothing happened. Scared the crap out of me & I hope it's not an indication of a more serious problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.