Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tderemigis

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
I currently have a 2Ghz MacBook core duo as my daily machine and my old ibook g4 set up as a media center. Ive always thought that one day i would replace the ibook with an intel mac mini, bc i would also like that machine to become a dvr (w/ eyetv), and convert video files, which take forever on the ibook.

I recently thought of the idea to get a used 12 inch powerbook to use as my daily machine, and set up my macbook as the media center. It seems crazy to switch backwards like that, but ive seen the power of the intel chip, and know that i need that in my media center plans. but i only use my macbook for safari, mail, adium, and itunes music or video every once in a while.

Ive always loved the powerbooks looks, and i want to know what you experts around here think of the idea.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
Considering that a macmini c2d 1.83 in the refurb store is 499 plus tax and online the user mrstich7? (ebay mac mini 1.83) is selling them for 469 or 489 no tax no shipping AND they actually come (I just got mine today! :) it's great! perfect in everyway!)

I'd say you are better off just buying a mac mini for that, since it is the same if not better then your current macbook, and a decent shape powerbook 12inch is going to run you just about 500 anyway.

Just my two cents... not to mention the mini is built to run like it does, the macbook will get a little toasty running clam shell all the time.

PS. if your ibook is still in good shape and running ok, it should fetch you a nice 300-500 dollars on ebay. People still are snatchin those things up.

tderemigis

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
thanks for the reply.

ebay is where i had been looking at the mac mini's and powerbooks, and even imacs for that matter. i guess ive been figuring that for a little more i could get a computer with a screen too. and i guess ive also been feeling some aluminum envy since the MBA just came out...

ill have to look into that ebay seller you were talking about thought, so thanks for the heads up.

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2007
Im in the same boat!!!

Im glad you made this thread!!!

If you check out my other forum:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/433411/

Im interested in buying a Powerbook as well just for the wireless access to the internet and portability. They are probably one of the best laptops ever made and they will easily get the job done even by todays standards! Im going 15" just because I am in love with that backlit keyboard!!!

My answer is go for it! Just go with the newest one you can afford! Thats what everyone told me and will be the best performing and you will notice the "oldness" the least!!

Welcome! :apple:

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Unless you specifically need PowerPC hardware for some reason, I strongly suggest not spending much money on old PPC Macs.

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
Unless you specifically need PowerPC hardware for some reason, I strongly suggest not spending much money on old PPC Macs.

If the original poster wanted just a machine for (quote) ‘safari, mail, adium, and itunes music or video every once in a while.’, even now, a 12" Powerbook G4 would manage that task very well. I do so with my own 12" PB each day for the past 4 years, smoothly and without any problems. Even the latest Leopard runs great. So I would definitely recommend it for these tasks, with the added benefit of being super-portable for carrying it with you around the house.

I am sure that there are many bargains out there for old PPC computers that still have much life in them. As an added bonus, RAM upgrades, faster HDs and replacement batteries can be found very cheaply too.

One thing to consider is to compare the screen of the Powerbook to the Macbook’s. I have my 12" next to a 20" Apple Display and there is a difference in contrast and colour. I am sure the screen on the Macbook will be much more colourful with more contrast because of the glossy screen. If you are watching lots of movies/video, maybe you need to see them side-by-side before making your decision.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
If you decide to get the PB, keep in mind that their screen is just 1024x768 4:3. Way to small, even for your uses...

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Get an Intel Mini (even if a Core Duo) cause a PB 12" is gonna cost nearly the same, and although they are good machines, they just won't compare with newer hardware. Move forward, don't look back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.