Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soquickwitit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Ok, i have videora for apple tv. it works, but it takes like 12 hrs.

I used gotsent. works really quick, like an hr or so. I added the file from gotsent to itunes, and it plays. but for some reason wont sync or stream to my apple tv. says it not recognizable format? please help.

I'd like to use the fastest converter with good quality. I'm also a windows user. thx

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I would assume that this re-packages compatible streams into .mp4 files without re-encoding, if possible. This doesn't work on the Apple TV because MKVs using H.264 tend to use High Profile instead of Main Profile, so you have to re-encode the video for it to play. The Xbox 360 and PS3 support H.264's High Profile, so they don't have issues.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I would assume that this re-packages compatible streams into .mp4 files without re-encoding, if possible. This doesn't work on the Apple TV because MKVs using H.264 tend to use High Profile instead of Main Profile, so you have to re-encode the video for it to play. The Xbox 360 and PS3 support H.264's High Profile, so they don't have issues.

I think you nailed it ... a majority (if not all) of the hi-def MKV's in the wild on the internet all have H264 encodes that are not compatible with the ATV and will not sync via itunes (even though they play in quicktime)

soquickwitit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
In itunes, i right clicked the file i converted that wouldnt play. And it says "convert for apple tv" so i did that, it's going pretty quick. but it didnt work!!

someone please help. thx

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Based on the previous posts, I do not think it is going to work. You will need a different encode of the file you have. Given that it is pre-encoded, and the nature of that process, it is currently not possible to convert that to something that will work. You would need the source file and encode that in a compatiable format.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Oh, it's quite possible to transcode the file to the proper format, you'll just have to re-encode the video from an already reduced-quality bitstream, thus reducing the quality further.

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
been trying to figure out a shortcut the past two days. I'm back to re-encoding stuff in visualhub. Taking hours... considering a mac mini at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.