Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papegaai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Brisbane Australia
Hi Everyone, I haven't had a Mac since one of the first in 1983 and am about to buy an iMac. I am a teacher and I create a lot of large A1 or bigger posters. I do this on my PC in Coreldraw. Sales people for the Mac are telling me that I can do this in Adobe, but no one can show me. I am wanting to check that I can actually do it. I have an A3 printer and Coreldraw allows me to print tiled images i.e print as many pages I want and stick them together to form the large poster.

Can anyone help, please? I want to pick up the new Mac tomorrow.:)

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
if you are asking if Adobe lets you tile images...the answer is yes. I do it all the time to show clients what their poster will look like printed. It probably won't be the exact same process, but yes it does it.

-JE

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
if you make a large layout in one of the programs like InDesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop etc etc - if you can't do it directly from them, which you might be able to do, you can do it from within Acrobat. Where it lets you choose to shrink to fit printer margins etc, you can also choose to 'Tile Large Pages' and it will show you a little preview.

bbeers

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Maryland
Yes it can be done.

I don't know how familiar you are with the Adobe products but it is possible. You can always selt up slices in Photoshop and save those slices to seprate jpgs. Then simple print the the sperate jpgs and trim them and line them up.

If you need more help with doing that just PM me and I would be glad to walk you through it.

dmz

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
Canada
Yes you can

Since I've used all the products you mentioned to create large-format posters, I can soundly tell you that Adobe Illustrator or InDesign or PhotoShop can all do this, with Illustrator being closest to Corel Draw, and best overall for large-format printing. You can tile to your heart's content and show/hide the tiling gridlines. The print dialog will also allow you to preview the job before you send it, or save it to any number of formats - native, eps, pdf or TIFF being the most desired in approximately that order.

One thing I will credit Corel Draw with is their print preview - it is fantastic compared to any Adobe products, you will miss it a bit, but everything else about Illustrator is superior to Corel Draw in my opinion.

Ignore the "slicing" advice - wrong approach entirely.:rolleyes:

dmz

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I use a program called Tiler (v2, MindCad LLC, try macupdate.com). It can take any PDF and tile it to whatever size you want. That way I can work in whatever software I like.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
I avoid tiling by printing large posters on large paper. ;)

BTW, "tomorrow" for the OP is two years ago!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.