Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mykoljay

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Please list games that you've sucessfully run on your MBA.

Don't forget to note whether it required Bootcamp (Windows) or the Superdrive.

And please do not make this a discussion of how the Air is not a gaming machine...we know that.

Thanks!

dahcheet

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
I installed WoW by downloading the files from their site and installing. I haven't actually gotten around to playing it. I logged in and was in a small town (Grom'Gor or something in SV) and it looked great. Fan starting going full blast though. I might try and log in this weekend and see how the game actually plays. We shall see.

vakej

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2006
When the mac mini first came out folks stated that certain games were not ideal to play on it (e.g. WoW). They mentioned the frame rates were slow. Being that the MBA is a much more advanced machine than the first gen mac mini, I would think that it would have no issue playing most games. Unless games have advanced that much more in the last few years....

JWest

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Sins Of A Solar Empire, Call of Duty 4 (Hopefully, gonna try it later today)

HA! Good luck with that... integrated graphics don't really run modern games folks. Even the processor in the MBA is too weak for these games. Have fun trying though... :D

'Course it largely depends on how you define "runs well". I'm more of a hard core gamer, so my standards are a bit high.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
HA! Good luck with that... integrated graphics don't really run modern games folks. Even the processor in the MBA is too weak for these games. Have fun trying though... :D

'Course it largely depends on how you define "runs well". I'm more of a hard core gamer, so my standards are a bit high.

Regardless, unless I've tried it, I'm not going to make assumptions of how it'll run. 30+ fps is good enough in most conditions. Surprising, most games I've played ran pretty well on a GMA950 card.

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Regardless, unless I've tried it, I'm not going to make assumptions of how it'll run. 30+ fps is good enough in most conditions. Surprising, most games I've played ran pretty well on a GMA950 card.

Did you try cod4 yet? lol

ThinkGeek

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
Jakrta, Java, Indonesia
Will Sims 2 run well on it. Coz I really want to play Spore on it when it comes out (and Will Wright said Spore'll take less resources than the Sims 2). Obviously you'll need a SuperDrive to play The Sims 2 or Spore, but will the performance be slower via a USB SuperDrive? Thanks.

grimslade

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
Has anyone tried Age of Empires III? The box claims it will run on the Intel integrated graphics chipset...

rittchard

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
OS X Native:

Warcraft 3/TFT
Diablo 2/LoD
HOMM V

Bootcamp (XP SP2):

Sins of a Solar Empire
Space Rangers 2
Hellgate London

ThinkGeek

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
Jakrta, Java, Indonesia
Can't the integrated graphic chip (the GMA X3100) run Sims. I am aware the MacBook uses that. Can the MacBook run Sims 2. If it can, then maybe the Air can. Is t possible for anyone to test that out.

pumskie

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Please Keep Posting

I am looking for recommendations on games that work on Macbook Air. Key criteria are 1) able to run on the Intel integrated graphics chip and 2) don't need the DVD to play after the install.

Ages of Empire III seems to fit this bill based on the written specs. Can anyone confirm? Any other suggestions?

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
All I have to say is that some of you all have some pretty low standards when it comes to determining whether a game runs or not.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Ok. What about Guild Wars? Maple Story Gunz? Quake 3? Anyone know how these games run?

I heard someone say that the X3100 is worse than the intel 900! Can that be right? Aint x3100 the succesor to 900? is it a driver issue?

hephem

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Hi to all,

I'm really interested knowing if BF2, NBA Live 07/08 or Collin Mac Rallye (Dirt? Nah...) run (well) on MBA. If anyone can help here I would really apreciate it.

Thanks.

Cheers.

jwtadmin

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
Return to dark castle runs, but works MUCH better if you turn off the 30fps option in options-->game.

icchan

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
ive installed the sims2 on my 1.8ghz macbook air and it runs... but it is pretty horrible. i wouldnt consider it to be playable cept maybe the tutorials.

ive got all graphics to the lowest settings but everything feels like its in super lag mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.