Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DAKnits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Has anyone had this problem? 3-4 times in the past month since I bought my phone, my IPhone suddenly, without warning, turns off, in the middle of whatever I'm doing. The phone has been fully charged every time this has happened. It will not turn back on until a few minutes later.

Why would this happen? If the phone is "defective," has anyone had experience with Apple's customer service -- how do they handle these type of issues? Thanks!

rperezfranco

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Iphones turn off or shut downs

Same problem here, this start happening to my Iphone Yesterday.
I have Iphone 1.1.1 Jailbroken and Unlocked
I update the installer 3.0 and I don't know if this could be the reason.
Once it is shut down or freeze(because the screen is black) I need to Restart or reboot pressing the home and power button until mac logo appears.
Any idea about this??

Thanks

DAKnits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Same problem here, this start happening to my Iphone Yesterday.
I have Iphone 1.1.1 Jailbroken and Unlocked
I update the installer 3.0 and I don't know if this could be the reason.
Once it is shut down or freeze(because the screen is black) I need to Restart or reboot pressing the home and power button until mac logo appears.
Any idea about this??

Thanks

When it happens to me, I try and try to reboot, but it takes several minutes before it will. Does anyone have any ideas???? :confused:

sowk4540

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
I upgraded to 1.1.3 and unlocked it, and this is also happening to me every time it hibernates. before i upgraded to 1.1.3 the phone never did this so I am getting frustrated. Does anyone think it might be the 3rd party applications ?

Skoys

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
I upgraded to 1.1.3 and unlocked it, and this is also happening to me every time it hibernates. before i upgraded to 1.1.3 the phone never did this so I am getting frustrated. Does anyone think it might be the 3rd party applications ?

I have uk Iphone with o2. Still locked and a week old with 1 1 3 . I also have the same problem. The battery indicator softwAre seems to be broken. One minute it slightly less than full green bar and then 10/20min later the phone switches of asking for juice. I phoned apple who nothing about it. Luckily mine has a dead pixel so will be getting it swapped on that basis.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
For me after getting the Hardware unlocked, it worked for few days then it went black and gone! I have given it to some one locally (in India) to fix it for me. There is no authorized Apple dealers in India who can fix iPhones but people available here are able to fix issues in no time without Apple’s involvement much at a competitive rates (lot cheaper and efficient than Apple).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
For me after getting the Hardware unlocked, it worked for few days then it went black and gone! I have given it to some one locally (in India) to fix it for me. There is no authorized Apple dealers in India who can fix iPhones but people available here are able to fix issues in no time without Apple’s involvement much at a competitive rates (lot cheaper and efficient than Apple).

Apple products under warranty = FREE REPAIR for defects

How can people that charge a fee be cheaper than free?

jersey

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
My friends was doing this. If he locked the phone, in about 5 minutes, it would turn itself off. Took it to the Apple store, and they replaced it without hesitation, once they witnessed it happening.

So, sounds like its time to un-jailbreak kids, make it factory fresh, and see if it does the same thing.

cmcbridejr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
Never happened to me until I got my iPhone wet.

After that, it randomly turned on and off for the next two days.

Since then, it has been fine.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Apple products under warranty = FREE REPAIR for defects

How can people that charge a fee be cheaper than free?

I have unlocked the phone using Hardware method which means I am screwed up as far as getting it fixed for free from Apple !

If I had waited for couple of more weeks or so, I could have found out a Software Unlock but my bad luck I had waited for almost 2 1/2 months without a software unlock forced me to take Hardware method. But my problem need not have anything to do with Hardware unlock.

I am residing in India and so Apple does not repair its iPhone products here but fortunately, there are geeks here who are willing to sweat out (for hrs I mean) for $10-$30 to fix my iPhone!

iHerzeleid

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
This happens to me too (Virgin 1.1.3, Non-JB).

It turns off won't restart or off or on. Once I connect it to the dock or the computer the screen turns on. Weird.

alexb2008

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
Hi, i think i know what is happening. I bought my iphone about 2 months ago, and it was working perfectly, with all the updates. Never did it ever turn itself off whilst in sleep mode, no matter what the battery level. I live in the UK. However, i just went to France for a 2 week holiday. The day i arrived, i went to show my parents my iphone for the first time, and guess what, it wouldnt turn on. I was like, this has never happened before! It proceeded to be unresponsive in sleep mode throughout my stay. I thought i would need to get a new iphone once back in the UK. I have now been back for one week, and the problem has gone completely, and i've been running the battery literally dead the whole time.

I think the issue is a network issue. In the UK, my iphone is set permanently to the O2 network. In France, in the area i was in, the signal was pretty weak mostly, and as such, it would keep changing between three different carriers, Orange, FSFR and Bougues. I can only think that the iphone gets confused or something when it has 3 network signals to choose from, especially when they are weak.

In conclusion, it cant be my phone because its fixed now, it has to be a location based issue, and network issue. I hope this helps.

orrelse44

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Hi, i think i know what is happening. I bought my iphone about 2 months ago, and it was working perfectly, with all the updates. Never did it ever turn itself off whilst in sleep mode, no matter what the battery level. I live in the UK. However, i just went to France for a 2 week holiday. The day i arrived, i went to show my parents my iphone for the first time, and guess what, it wouldnt turn on. I was like, this has never happened before! It proceeded to be unresponsive in sleep mode throughout my stay. I thought i would need to get a new iphone once back in the UK. I have now been back for one week, and the problem has gone completely, and i've been running the battery literally dead the whole time.

I think the issue is a network issue. In the UK, my iphone is set permanently to the O2 network. In France, in the area i was in, the signal was pretty weak mostly, and as such, it would keep changing between three different carriers, Orange, FSFR and Bougues. I can only think that the iphone gets confused or something when it has 3 network signals to choose from, especially when they are weak.

In conclusion, it cant be my phone because its fixed now, it has to be a location based issue, and network issue. I hope this helps.

Wierd. My phone had never done it--until I last week--when I was traveling, and on a different network. Good catch. Apple needs to know about this.

mistral2099

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2009
New iPhone switching off suddenly

Brand new iPhone from Virgin Mobile (Optus) less than a week ago. Today, while using it -- had just pressed the home button and heard a click through the headphones and it totally powered off. Had to reset it and wait about 2 minutes for it come back again. Battery was fully charged, no hacks, and no new apps even installed yet. So, it's happening with factory fresh units.\

avramreddy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
iPhone 2g switches off by itself

I have run into a strange problem - iPhone(2g) switches off automatically when in sleep mode. You will not know until you press either of the 2 buttons (power or home) on it.
This has the 2.1 ver of software.
I had got it fixed locally and got the battery replaced when there was a black out (it would refuse to switch on no matter what!). After that it worked well for about 10 days without any issues. Then one day I noticed that it is switching itself off without any reason (good network, fully charged battery, not many applications, free memory of 5GB etc.).
I showed it one of the service centers and suggested that a connecting cable be changed. I asked it to be done. But then after about 10 days, the behavior returned. For no reason it switches off.
Folks, any reason that you know/heard of?. Any solution to this?. Please let me know via my e-mail (avramreddy@gmail.com).

Appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

funkoff

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
a fix for you lot on iphone turning off

Hi i have 2g runing cydia installer every time iphonewent to sleep it turns off so i braught a new battery fit it to no avail so looked deeper then found this app you need cydia then download and turn on this through cydia its called insomnia after i have installed and turn,d this app on my iphone has not turnd off during sleep mode at all YAY for us if this helps say thanks hehe hope it doese mines fine now woot woot .:)

Directingart

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
iPhone problem may not be batery

My iPhone also turns itself off. I believe this is not a battery issue. I think it's a combination of phone software and network. I use both a blackberry 3g for work and my personal phone is the iPhone 3g. Both phones are completely different in everyway except for phone carrier (Canada - Rogers) and both phones turn off. Some tech support I've called for my BB say it'd the 3g network others say might be battery. I've swithched battery on the BB and still have same problem. There must be a bug in the network/phone hardware. It's too much of a coincidence that both my phones do this. I wish someone would just come clean. If phones are turning off then they should replace them. I'm wondering if anyone has noticed that in airplane mode iPhone does not turn itself off. So I ask if it's battery ( and yes I know radio pulls more power) when I run stuff let video that drains batery why doesn't it shut off. Come clean people and help people that spent good money on your products get phones that work with networks. If you read this see if your phone stays on in airplane mode too.

mustnotsleep

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
i know this is an old thread, but this just happened to me today. im on a 3gs running 4.0 and for some reason my phone was completely turned off today and took a few minutes before i was able to turn it back on. there was roughly 70% battery and i definitely did not shut it down so this is quite strange. the phone is 2 months old and in new condition. im on tmobile and jailbroken.

derektional

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
i know this is an old thread, but this just happened to me today. im on a 3gs running 4.0 and for some reason my phone was completely turned off today and took a few minutes before i was able to turn it back on.

same happened to me today while I was in the middle of a call.
3GS os 4

LavenderFox

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
Same thing

Same thing happens to me. I bought mine the day it came out. It's not jail broken or anything, it's completely normal. Except for the fact that every once in a while (about 4 times since i bought it) it will randomly shut off completely, and the only way for it to turn back on is by plugging it into a charger. It had been fully charged every time it's shut down like this. I'm thinking of taking it in and seeing if they'll give me a new one.

theGhus

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
iphone shuting down randomly !!!

Hey guys, I've read a couple a thread about this problem and anyone seems to point at the solution or the source.... Fortunately, i think i found the solution for ME !
:apple:
My 3G was working pretty well (except the slowliness after the iOS 4.0, but anyway) but then, it started to shutdown about 3-4 times a day, very anoying..... and last day, all of a sudden, it was find for a entire day !!!! why ?

I removed my LEATHER CASE (with a magnet to close it in the front of the phone) !!!! SO"...... THE MAGNET was the problem, maybe its doing something with the hardware/battery.... but now its fine !!!

solution: dont use case with any kind of MAGNET on it !! ;)

Hope, it'll help someone !! :)

Seeya:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.