Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nadleeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
hi guys, im new to this forum! i bought my iphone quite some time ago and i up until now, i cant seem to get my wifi working at home. the iphone shows that im connected to the home network but i cant surf the internet through wifi because it says it cant find the server. i checked my settings already and found out that its because the iphone has been reading a wrong ip address from the home network. anyone has any idea how to help? please advice. i tried googling for it before but to no avail. please help

Pennine

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
Glossop UK
hi guys, im new to this forum! i bought my iphone quite some time ago and i up until now, i cant seem to get my wifi working at home. the iphone shows that im connected to the home network but i cant surf the internet through wifi because it says it cant find the server. i checked my settings already and found out that its because the iphone has been reading a wrong ip address from the home network. anyone has any idea how to help? please advice. i tried googling for it before but to no avail. please help

same here please help us

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
What do you mean the iPhone has been reading a wrong IP address?

Do you have other computers that are working on your wireless connection?

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
I would delete the network entirely (on your iPhone) and start over.

Settings > Wi-Fi > [Network Name] > Forget this Network.

Or, you should at least try the Renew Lease option. Just push the little blue arrow to the right of the network name and look for the button.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
So do you only have one computer accessing the internet?

Maybe you have a Modem and not a Router. You need a router to be able to have more than one computer access the net at a time...

Do you know if you have a router?

dj420118

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
I had this happening but i kept losing the connection instead of not having internet in the first place...this iphone sure is tricky

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I had the same problem(I think) I changed the password type from something to ASics or something. try that.

ChrisN

nadleeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
yea i have more than 1 computer. im definitely running on a router and not a modem. i tried forgetting the network and trying to connect to it again, i tried renewing lease, nothing seems to work.

rtc05

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
same issue worked 3 days ago 2 computers working wireless i called iphone tech we tried everything im reading the right ip adree but cant find server connects to the router but not the net

nehemiascr

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
Same problem

Hi, I have the same problem. I have an apple airport extreme n router, I have 3 laptops connected to this network with WPA/WPA2 password, 2 iphones connected to this network also, and one iphone doesn't work, it worked for 3 days and after that, stop working. It worked with the firmware 1.1.3 and suddenly stop working, then, I upgraded it to 1.1.4 and it didn't fix the problem, I tried Renew Lease, didn't work. Forget this network, didn't work. and the problem is only with one iphone, not with both.

scottytico

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
Same problem

I, too, have 7 computers on my network and 2 iPhones. One iPhone worked great for 2 days. Then, for whatever reason, I can't connect to the wireless network today. It shows that I'm connected in the settings, but it doesn't show on the top left and there is no IP address populated when I select the blue arrow button to the right of the name of the wireless connection that has a blue checkmark next to it. I see that nobody has been answering these posts, so I'm not sure why I'm writing this -- other than hoping like crazy someone knows what's going on. I sure don't!

billabong

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2004
Have you found a fix for this?

I have an Airport Express with 1 Mac, 1 AppleTV and 1 iPhone using the network. The iPhone works 50% of the time, which is starting to get really annoying. It just keeps on saying "Can't find the server" anyone have advice of this?

Tellegrand

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
Sunny?Cloudy? Midwest
Anyone any ideas on this? We have the exact same problem.... three computers and two iphones wireless on a airport. We both have had no problems getting wireless on the phones for over a year, but after the 2.0 upgrades one works great the other not at all. VERY frustrating!!

andyhofer

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
I have the same problem, my network is recognised with a tick next to the wifi. I have tried everything including forgetting this connection, rebooting the iPhone. I have other Macs and PCs on the wireless router network that work with no problems.

I can't get connections to any other networks either, tried Costa coffee and Cloud at my local O2 shop and still couldn't get a wifi connection.:mad:

The guy in the O2 store tried but with no success, he said call O2 customer support. So got home and called them, after having gone thru all the steps they came up with the opinion that I have a faulty device and I should return to the apple shop to get it looked at. :eek:
The first thing they said I should do is get the apple store to try my sim in another iPhone to see if it makes a difference. :confused:

If anyone has any ideas that would be great...

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Another one here...

Another one with issues of 1 iphone working, 1 not. My husband's iphone has decided it doesn't like WIFI. We noticed the issue when we went to a friend's house, and my iphone happily connected, and his didn't. Back at home, both our iphones connected to wifi on our home network. Out of the home, only mine worked.

Then, we got a new router, and I thought, UH-OH, what if after everything is set up, his phone won't connect to WIFI. Sure enough, his won't connect, mine will. Same settings!

It shows the WIFI bars for a few seconds, then goes to the edge symbol. I had my husband install boss prefs which shows that Wifi is connected, to some WEIRD ip address, that has nothing to do with our home network or ISP.

I'm wondering if the iphone is "stuck" trying some previous IP address for all new connections?

omaruk

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
same issue 2 iPhones one not connecting, tried reset network settings etc no joy. Try this found the solution elsewhere have yet to try as my wife has the problem phone with her

"I initially had trouble connecting to my home wifi network and when I did a few Google searches I saw a few people mentioning that it was a DNS issue on the iPhone.

After connecting to my wifi network I went into the network settings and deleted the values in the DNS field under DHCP and entered a known good DNS server like one of the the ones from OpenDNS <dot> com. I entered 208.67.222.222 and all the problems went away."

Kinaiahi

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2007
Same problem here. Mine worked fine for about a month, then all of a sudden stopped working today. Everything else is fine, just get the "Server stopped responding" message every time I use wifi in my house. Tried deleting the network, renewing the lease etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never mind. I just reset my modem and router and reset my network settings on my phone and it's working again.

jaggunothing

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Bangalore, India
Have you tried opening the wifi>network>fixed ip and setting another IP/DNS etc there.

It worked for me, i have 2 connections one with dynamic IP and that used to work with just password. The second one with fixed IP and DNS, i had to manually correct all the entries and now both work like a charm.

angusangus

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
miracle happened!

After 5 months without wifi on my iphone ever since I used ziphone to unlock my iphone, I finally figuered it out and fix it, here is what I did in summary after many different attempts(tried every solution from online post), here is my 2009 stimulus package for my iphone:

1. I restored to 2.2.1(5H11) firmware and use Quickpwn to unlock it.
2. wifi still not connecting correctly? I reset the "network settings" on iphone, if not work, I set my wireless router to no encryption, then reset iphone "network seetings" again and again until it sticks to wifi connection. First it didn't stick 100%, it was like on and off periodically.
3. Goto "Cydia" downloaded tool call "BossPrefs"
4. Goto app "BossPrefs" turn off the "edge" and keep the wifi. At current stage the wifi still drop connection periodically.
5. Restart wireless router(no encryption still) and reset my iphone "network settings". Go to "BossPrefs" to turn off edge again and keep the wifi because "BossPrefs" reset itself. Now I saw the connection persists.
6. Restart my wifi wireless router and set it to wpa or wpa2 encryption.
7. Reset my iphone "network settings" again(it's a pain but it helps) and type in the password for wifi and a miracle happened, wifi sticks, no more dropped connections, I can even use youtube on my iphone again and leave my itouch collecting dust.
8. I then go to iphone "Cydia" and downloaded half of the ring tone on my iphone and tried it out...awesome!

step43a2jc

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
Change My IP Address in my iPhone

Guys, is it possible to change my IP address in my iPhone? cause the default IP address is wrong so i wanted to change it. will it be possible?

bbwolf

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
fix it!!!

hey guys joined the forum to answer this thread. i had the same problem with my iphone. i was trying to sinc with a comic collector program and it couldn't find the iphone. checked the ip and low and behold i got this huge monstrosity that was no where near the same as my pc ip. guess how i fixed it? come on guess. il wait............... ok ok. POWER CYCLE THE ROUTER!!! unplug the routers power cord for about 30 sec and plug it back in. it will force the iphone to reconnect with the router or just provide it with the correct ip address. hope this works for you.

wolf out:cool:

clonergan

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
I just got my Iphone 4 days ago and didn't realize I wasn't automatically using my home wifi after downloading a million apps and geting a text from ATT saying i used up 145 of my 200MB already. I went to this forum and tried everything and the only thing that worked was to change the IP address.

Here is how I did it:
1.Go to settings
2. Click on the blue arrow next to your wifi network
3. choose Static
4. Enter your IP address, router and DNS (you should be able to get this from your computer, if not call your internet provider)
5. click on the wifi network button at the top left
6. Make sure the ASk to join networks button is OFF

Wait 2-3 minutes and it should work, if not try putting you phone in airplane mode then on again.

I hope this helps you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.