Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
I am going to be buying a MacBook soon. I would like to know how to maintain OS X and the Exterior of the MacBook.

What I'm saying is, on XP, I maintain it by regularly running CCleaner to remove caches, internet history, and to clean up the registry. I also use McAfee to "clean up my PC"... and although I'm not sure what it does it makes it fast.

Also, I'm assuming my MacBook will get grimy from use, so can I just take some windex to it?

Thank in advance.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
OS X runs daily, weekly and monthly self-maintenance, which pretty effectively covers most system cleanup tasks. You can also run those scripts manually if you want. I recommend Onyx or Maintidget for doing so. Onyx will also let you adjust hidden settings and perform other maintenance if you want, though it's not really necessary and you should do so with caution. You can clear internet history and caches in Safari and Firefox from within the browsers. OS X doesn't have a direct equivalent to the Windows registry, though you can clear PRAM on occasion (like annually or less) if you're noticing system slowdowns. Google or some forum searches will find you more info on any of the things I mentioned as starting points.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
OK. I'm wondering how long of OS X it will take for me to get out of thinking Windows. OS X is kind of like rehab for Windows users....

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
OS X runs daily, weekly and monthly self-maintenance, which pretty effectively covers most system cleanup tasks. You can also run those scripts manually if you want. I recommend Onyx or Maintidget for doing so. Onyx will also let you adjust hidden settings and perform other maintenance if you want, though it's not really necessary and you should do so with caution.

This is true, however, I believe the system is set to do this at some obscure time, like 3:30 am. If the computer is not on at that time, the maintenance tasks don't run.

Onyx, Maintidget or Cocktail will all do it, although I believe the first two are freeware or donationware.

And while maintenance is good, it's not a good idea to be overzealous about it. The code gurus chose these intervals and systems files/logs for a reason, and being overly judicious about it can result in problems.

MacDann

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
This is true, however, I believe the system is set to do this at some obscure time, like 3:30 am. If the computer is not on at that time, the maintenance tasks don't run.

Onyx, Maintidget or Cocktail will all do it, although I believe the first two are freeware or donationware.

And while maintenance is good, it's not a good idea to be overzealous about it. The code gurus chose these intervals and systems files/logs for a reason, and being overly judicious about it can result in problems.

MacDann

You're right that it's an arbitrary time, and I think it is something like 3:30am. You can actually change that through the terminal or some of the maintenance programs, though, in case you always sleep/turn off your computer overnight...there have been directions for that on TUAW and/or MR forums that I've seen before. Maintidget is useful for monitoring that too since it's right on your dashboard, and if you see that one or more of the scripts hasn't been run as recently as it ought to have been you can just have it run them.

bamaworks

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Lexington, KY
You mentioned the macbook will get grimy, I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser periodically and let me tell you, you'd believe it actually is magic. My Macbook looks as good as the day I bought it, and while others can't get the black wrist spots out, the Magic Eraser can.

(wtf? I sound like an infomercial!)

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Maintidget is useful for monitoring that too since it's right on your dashboard, and if you see that one or more of the scripts hasn't been run as recently as it ought to have been you can just have it run them.

I've used Maintidget before as well. It works great!
However, I currently use Cocktail on my MB. It's payware, but I really like it.
YMMV.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
You mentioned the macbook will get grimy, I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser periodically and let me tell you, you'd believe it actually is magic. My Macbook looks as good as the day I bought it, and while others can't get the black wrist spots out, the Magic Eraser can.

I second the Magic erasers! They're really the only way to keep your white MacBook white. Just don't use 'em on the shiny exterior or screen since they're mildly abrasive and will scuff the glossy surfaces.

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
Cocktail or onyx are all you need to keep your mac as fast as the first day. When I fist switched to mac I was amazed that this was all I had to do. Mine still is as fast as day 1. Enjoy!! :DThen go out and spread the word!;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.