Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
I have a simple questions (and I apologize if it's been asked before - I did do a forum search).
I have the faster of the DSL options with a Gigabit N router. Will I get a faster connection if I hook up the ATV with a CAT 6 cable or WiFi?
Thanks
Alan

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
I have a simple questions (and I apologize if it's been asked before - I did do a forum search).
I have the faster of the DSL options with a Gigabit N router. Will I get a faster connection if I hook up the ATV with a CAT 6 cable or WiFi?
Thanks
Alan

I believe ethernet is a little faster but it depends whether you have space to run a wire, if you don't then 802.11n looks fine :)

dogtanian

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
Thanks
Alan

Either one should work fine. Either one (ethernet cable or wifi) is faster than your DSL line. I started with wifi on a "g" network, but switched to ethernet and, for me, it has been somewhat less hassle.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
If you have an easy way to use wired ethernet, I would go that way - especially if your iTunes library is on a wireless computer. You will find much faster sync times with the apple TV if both devices are not on the wireless connection.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Just switched to wire from a G networked Wi-Fi connection. I hadn't any issues with Wi-Fi, but my satellite TV receiver has added functionality with an ethernet/internet connection that I just started utilizing. This satellite receiver also has throughput for another ethernet cable. So hooking up my AppleTV was as simple as about a 2' cable from the AppleTV to the receiver.

So far, so good. I do notice faster syncing, but haven't had enough time to check it out any further. So in my case, it was a "why not?" no brainer to wire it up.

smilinmonki666

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
Isn't 802.11n faster than ethernet?

Ethernet is a wired connection & can run upto 1Gbps. Standard n transmits upto 70Mbps (If I can remember correctly). But it all depends on your system(s)/ router & cabling. If your streaming lossless or .WAV audio & video files to your :apple:TV or other device, I would always recommend a direct wired connection. Its also safer security wise. I like to be secure with my network & data, you never know who's out there. But when wired, make sure your router/server has a firewall or your system has one.

If you are unable to use a wired connection, then wireless is still good. But streaming video, depending on the bit rate/ sample rate for audio/visual, it could get chopy & annoying, sync'ing your media to your :apple:TV would solve the problem, but large files, i.e. 3.6Gb, may take a while to sync.

Hope that helps.

smilinmonki666

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
The Apple TV unit currently has a 10/100 Ethernet interface, not gigabit. Typical speeds for 802.11n connections range from 144 Mbps to 270 Mbps. A lot of different factors can affect the performance of a wireless connection and it's stability, but conceptually the wireless connection should be faster in optimal conditions.

My appologies, I thought the :apple:TV had the 1Gb network interface? getting mixed up with Airport Express?!? :p & I miss read the 70Mbs, was getting mixed up with through put which is 74Mbs. They are trying to get a through put of 600Mbs from what I can read here?

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
I ran mine wired for a few months, then unplugged it when I was moving furniture. I keep meaning to plug it back in, but I notice zero difference, so...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.