Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Last night my Apple TV went completely mad - here's what happened:
I tried to watch a movie from my iTunes library on it and it blanked out for about 10 seconds and came back with an error that the movie couldn't be played. It then went back to the list of movies and every one said 'unknown' as the title with no artwork or anything. I then restarted iTunes and the Apple Tv.
Once they'd restarted, the Apple TV showed no content at all anywhere. On my computer I could see the Apple TV and it showed no content on the HD at all. Even though it was setup to show all content, it clearly wasn't working. The only way I could sort this out was to delete the pairing to my computer and re-add it. Everything now seems to be working again, but my question is whether anyone else has had a similar problem and if anyone has any idea what caused it?
what made it worse was all this happened while I was demonstrating how cool the Apple TV is to a sceptical friend!

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)
(snip)my question is whether anyone else has had a similar problem and if anyone has any idea what caused it?
what made it worse was all this happened while I was demonstrating how cool the Apple TV is to a sceptical friend!

First of all, you should know the rule: never demonstrate anything to anyone. Just use it in front of them.

To answer your question seriously for a moment, it has happened to me. Part of my problem, I believe, is having part of my iTunes library on an AirDisk.

Does this happen with the new version on iTunes, too? I just downloaded and installed it, but have not had a chance to check it as I had to leave for work. It was busy resyncing all of my music to the Apple TV.

Sigh. It used to just work. Now it's a mess.

IdiddidI

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
I had a similarly weird issue a few days back. ATV showed my whole streaming music library, including artwork, but when I tried to play a song, it would say "Apple TV cannot play the currently selected song." I restarted ATV and iTunes, but the problem persisted. I had to disconnect from iTunes and then repair. It fixed the problem, but I really hope it doesn't happen again.

macbookProSF

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2007
same issue

all of the movies I purchased from iTunes appear in my movies. The ones I ripped are gone. They are selected on my Mac to load these movies but it will not work. Also the alban artwork is missing I now show a gray film strip.

I have done nothing to change this. Just returned from a trip and I have a ghost in my apple tv

Help anyone

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
First of all, you should know the rule: never demonstrate anything to anyone. Just use it in front of them.
You're not wrong there!

To answer your question seriously for a moment, it has happened to me. Part of my problem, I believe, is having part of my iTunes library on an AirDisk.

Does this happen with the new version on iTunes, too? I just downloaded and installed it, but have not had a chance to check it as I had to leave for work. It was busy resyncing all of my music to the Apple TV.

Sigh. It used to just work. Now it's a mess.

My iTunes library is all stored on the local HD of my Mac Pro. I've upgraded to 7.6.1 and it seems OK at the moment, but it was fine before it went screwy before...
It definitely sounds like a bug in the Take 2 software - I never had a single problem before I upgraded. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it (and not demonstrate it to anyone again :D)

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
I had a similarly weird issue a few days back. ATV showed my whole streaming music library, including artwork, but when I tried to play a song, it would say "Apple TV cannot play the currently selected song." I restarted ATV and iTunes, but the problem persisted. I had to disconnect from iTunes and then repair. It fixed the problem, but I really hope it doesn't happen again.

Yep. Me, too. This has happened a few times.

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
Yep. Me, too. This has happened a few times.

Something very similar is happening to me. I attribute this to the new iTunes because that is the only thing that has changed and it was all working fine before.

I posted elsewhere before I saw this thread.

For me, two major things happened.

I was listening to music streaming from iTunes, controlling from the AppleTV. It stopped all of a sudden, and TV went black. I tried to change screens, etc. After a few minutes it just started back up.

More problematic. The TV shows I have in iTunes keep "disappearing" from the AppleTV. It says no content is synced to AppleTV and it is not associated with iTunes. This is a mess, as everything else (movies, music) is showing up to stream. Just not the TV shows. What is odd, they were there, then they weren't. All of a sudden.

I am connected via Ethernet, so it shouldn't be a connection issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.