Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Hey guys, I just bought my Apple TV yesterday, i synch'd it with all of my songs yesterday and it successfully transferred half of my content to the apple tv. I stopped it from synching as i was going to bed, and was planning on synching the other half of my content this morning.

Now, this morning I turn on my computer, launch iTunes and my AppleTV is not showing up. I've restarted my computer, re-connected my AppleTV to the internet, etc... I've done everything that I can think of doing.

Has anybody had this problem/know what to do?

Thanks

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
I think if you go > Preferences > Apple TV there's a check box to 'search for Apple TVs'. Make sure the ATV is switched on, and they should see each other.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I've also found that with the way I have my firewall set up when iTunes opens a confirmation box pops up asking if I want to allow iTunes to accept incoming traffic. As soon as I click on yes the Apple TV shows up.

Make sure you aren't missing that little window. It can get hidden behind other windows.

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I think if you go > Preferences > Apple TV there's a check box to 'search for Apple TVs'. Make sure the ATV is switched on, and they should see each other.

I just checked, ATV is on and it is recognized. I see it in the box and to the right of it, it says "synching".

However, I still don't see it in my itunes.

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I've also found that with the way I have my firewall set up when iTunes opens a confirmation box pops up asking if I want to allow iTunes to accept incoming traffic. As soon as I click on yes the Apple TV shows up.

Make sure you aren't missing that little window. It can get hidden behind other windows.

I dont have a firewall set up and I dont see a popup box.

:(

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I pulled the plug on the ATV, as per Apple troubleshooting guidelines.

After waiting 30 seconds and plugging the ATV back in, it is now being recognized and synching the remainder of my music.

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Huh? If you see it synching are you seeing that in iTunes or on a TV ?

It said it was synching under the itunes preferences box, however it wasn't showing up on my itunes library.

weird.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
I got this same issue!!! 3 days out of the box....happened everynight.

The only thing that works is unplugging the apple tv box and restarting itunes.

I've done everything from going to preferences>find apple tv ... reinstalling itunes, repairing disk permissions, reinstalling my airport.
I even tried not syncing just streaming and it still did it.

I have no firewall. all up to date software.
After about 3 hours it disappears from itunes if its not being used and won't comeback until i unplug it.
What a pain in the @$$.

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I had a similar situation that I posted yesterday. I still haven't found a solution. My next step is to turn of the software firewall so I can determine if it's the router or the software.

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Good to know that there are other people out there looking into this problem.

Its really upsetting, my AppleTV isn't even 24 hours old. I love the thing thus far, streaming my music and movies to my brand new 50'' bravia is unreal.

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I had a similar situation that I posted yesterday. I still haven't found a solution. My next step is to turn of the software firewall so I can determine if it's the router or the software.

Hopefully its not my wireless router, I have an Apple Airport Extreme...

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I must be retarded...

I think this was the "fix"...when you are trying to link up with your iTunes library make sure you have the ATV on one of the two library options (access share or sync) where the code is displayed. Once I left it on that screen and came back in the room it was in the device list and the screen was waiting for the passcode.

:eek:

oliverlubin

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Hey guys, I just bought my Apple TV yesterday, i synch'd it with all of my songs yesterday and it successfully transferred half of my content to the apple tv. I stopped it from synching as i was going to bed, and was planning on synching the other half of my content this morning.

Now, this morning I turn on my computer, launch iTunes and my AppleTV is not showing up. I've restarted my computer, re-connected my AppleTV to the internet, etc... I've done everything that I can think of doing.

Has anybody had this problem/know what to do?

Thanks

have you seen this?

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20080222120702289

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Thats a good find.
Did it work for you? I will try it and see if my apple tv is still there tomorrow.

Which of these problems are you experiencing?

Currently, my AppleTV just wouldn't show up until I unplugged it and plugged it back in.

The link doesn't really provide any help with that problem... any ideas?

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
Which of these problems are you experiencing?

Currently, my AppleTV just wouldn't show up until I unplugged it and plugged it back in.

Oh i misread it.... I have the problem that you have: where it doesn't show up until i unplug and re plug in the apple tv to get it to show up.

I thought the article was saying hold down shift for it to find the library for the apple tv...but it was related to another issue

hotshotharry

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Hey guys just so you know if you try to restore original firmware to the atv you will lose everything thats on it included purchased tv shows, so make sure you have a backup!

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly

Happens to me (and others) all the time when using a wireless network connection ... other threads here and in the Apple support forums have discussed this problem. It seems to happen to me mostly when my network is saturated (i.e., when I'm simultaneously downloading large video podcast files and syncing the Apple TV at the same time). The Apple TV just drops off the network, and won't rejoin until I power it down and restart it. All things considered, a fairly minor annoyance (happens 1-2 times/month), but since I can get a wired ethernet line to my Apple TV, I will probably do this at some point and hopefully get better stability.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
Mine disappears every night with no network use.
The computer doesn't even sleep.
Last thing i tried was downgrading to 7.6 not 7.61 but it still disappeared from devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.