Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YeahIKnow

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Dublin
So here we are almost 6 1/2 years later and my PB still hasn't had the decency to fail me! That extended warranty it wasted? Pfah! How many generations of shiny new Macbook Pros have whizzed past me into oblivion? Please let me play a game, I want to burn a DVD, I want to have more hard drive space than my iPod! Please let me!... But it won't, it keeps spinning that beachball every time I do anything, somehow reminding me that all this technological progress is a hard earned privilege that we now take for granted. In a few years people will gape in awe that something so old still works, then probably wonder at my computer too...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So does the PB need to fail in order to buy a new mac? Today is my PB's b-day IIRC and in a few days it'll be 3 years to the day that the nice fedex guy left it on my doorstep while I was taking the trash out (that one moment I left my house). I'm still happy it runs well. ;)

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Sounds like a ti book. The spinning beach ball can be helped with more ram. It will take a Gig!(about 100) You wanna burn dvd's? Dvd drive could cost you less than 80. And you know what? You can even trick it into running Leopard. No need for a new computer. She has another 3 years at least, for less than $200.

A mac is built to last at least 10 years, didn't you know that? Hell, my SE from 1987 is still great for writing papers, and it can run System 2 through 7. In other words, all software from 1984 until 1998+.

You're just going to have to remember to put it in your will.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Don't wait until your Powerbook kicks the bucket to get a new Mac, just go buy a new Macbook Pro. Just the fact you get a lot of beachballs is the result of the CPU no longer being able to handle the more up-to-date apps. Gosh the new iMovie won't even work on a G4 and watching HD is totally out of the question on a PowerBook. Lastly, while Leopard runs quite well on G4's starting at 867Mhz it's really optimized for Intel processors.

Those reasons alone are just cause to buy a new Macbook Pro. See, I did all your shopping for ya! :D

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2007
What?!?

Don't Hate on the PowerBook

I am looking to buy one for myself right now! Granted it is my second " kick around" mac and Im spending no more than $500! The PowerBook ( im assuming you have the aluminum one at least) was such a groundbreaking design that apple still uses it today in their MacBook Pro!! All that really has been added is an IR sensor, iSight, and a bigger track pad and the rest has stuck for at least 5 years!!! Not that im done reppin' the PowerBooks, enjoy your new MBP:cool: haha. I am jealous, but the powerbook has, Im sure served you well!!
:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.