Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Hello,
I have recently reset my iPhone, and all my contacts are not syncing into the iPhone. I have the sync all contacts in iTunes on. And I have checked to make sure I'm in ALL GROUPS but there are entries in my address book that are not in my iPhone. Help any idea why. I don't want to retype my address book, or hand enter into the phone. Any ideas???

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
i haven't got the answer. but i have two address book contacts that will not sync to my iphone.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
yeah I called apple waste of time, while they had me on hold I just restored my iphone resyncd and it worked perfect no idea why but don't care if it's working :)

ModernArtMuse

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
Same issue

I registered to this forum just to let you know I am having a very similar problem. :mad: It seems that I can not update/sync my contacts to the iPhone from the Address Book. It will not add in the new ones. I have tried checking the box under the Advanced tab that says something to the effect of 'replace information on this iphone.' No avail. I called Apple. They told me to reset as well. I did, and same problem persists, so "Can I put you on hold, ma'am?" ...(ten minutes later)... dialtone. Great help.

I would love to hear you get a solution~ maybe it will fix mine, too.

rdelarosa

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
i had the same problem. i resolved it by updating missing contacts from my my macpro and then synching the iphone.

xserveG5.PB.G4

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2006
Doylestown, PA
Addressbook NonSync

I've had my iPhone since June 07(day they went on sale) and initially Addressbook and iCal syncing worked fine. For me, this seems to be a more recent problem caused by one of the updates. I've tried everything in the interface and I'm reluctant to go into the Library as I had with my Palm for syncing issues. I was using Missing Sync at the time.

I'm going to ProCare this weekend and see if I can get a better solution and I'll post what I find out. For the moment, this worked: RE-set the iPhone, in Settings>General>Reset>Reset All(wipe out iPhone). Connect to your Mac(I'm using a MacbookPro now)and Select>Restore>Set Up as New iPHone, don't restore from any backups. Now new contacts should be synced.

Let me know if this helps, I'm still going to ProCare, because this is just a ridiculous waste of time to get new contacts into the iPhone and vice versa.

wrkn4livn

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
New iTunes update killed my iPhone

I've had my iPhone since June 07(day they went on sale) and initially Addressbook and iCal syncing worked fine. For me, this seems to be a more recent problem caused by one of the updates. I've tried everything in the interface and I'm reluctant to go into the Library as I had with my Palm for syncing issues. I was using Missing Sync at the time.

I'm going to ProCare this weekend and see if I can get a better solution and I'll post what I find out. For the moment, this worked: RE-set the iPhone, in Settings>General>Reset>Reset All(wipe out iPhone). Connect to your Mac(I'm using a MacbookPro now)and Select>Restore>Set Up as New iPHone, don't restore from any backups. Now new contacts should be synced.

Let me know if this helps, I'm still going to ProCare, because this is just a ridiculous waste of time to get new contacts into the iPhone and vice versa.

I uploaded and installed the latest iTunes. Tried syncing and iPhone is now phones is caught in a loop and will not even restore from iTunes. It's cooked. Not hacked (I don't have those kind of skills. I'm a plug and play type). What kills me is that I just converted from 20 years of MS. Bought the MacBook after having the iPhone for several months. Sync'd with MS XP with no problems. Tried with iCAL and Address Book (MAC) and suddenly, no more iPhone. Not a good learning experience with MAC. Still like the interface much more than MS so I'm not going back. Just frustrating. I guess there is no hard-reset function on the iPhone. When it's in this state, the only option sounds like taking the phone into an Apple Store...?
Thanks
Paul

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
To 'hard reset' while its plugged into iTunes (whether its recognised or not), hold down the power and home button (you might see the 'Slide to power off' but keep holding) till the screen cuts out, keep holding, when you see the apple logo, let go of the power button, but keep holding the home button.

Eventually, iTunes should say something along the lines of 'Detected an iPhone in recovery mode, you need to restore it before you can use it'.

If your having problems getting it to restore with iTunes, that should help.

wrkn4livn

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
To 'hard reset' while its plugged into iTunes (whether its recognised or not), hold down the power and home button (you might see the 'Slide to power off' but keep holding) till the screen cuts out, keep holding, when you see the apple logo, let go of the power button, but keep holding the home button.

Eventually, iTunes should say something along the lines of 'Detected an iPhone in recovery mode, you need to restore it before you can use it'.

If your having problems getting it to restore with iTunes, that should help.

Thanks. Didn't work. I did get the 'recovery mode' message. But after it tried to restore, I get the "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (9).

I'll take to the Store today and see what's up.

I'll let you know the results. Thanks for the reply.

Bickity

macrumors member
May 25, 2007
If you are using a Mac, go to iSync in Applications > open > go to preferences > click Reset Sync History > then sync iPhone. Worked for me.

wrkn4livn

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
Working now

If you are using a Mac, go to iSync in Applications > open > go to preferences > click Reset Sync History > then sync iPhone. Worked for me.

Plugged into MacBook. Tried again. Worked this time. Life is good.

Thanks for the help/advise
MacNewbie
Paul

xserveG5.PB.G4

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2006
Doylestown, PA
Addressbook NonSync

The solution I proposed worked on syncing with my Macbook Pro. Moreover, the fix seems to have stuck, so I won't be going to ProCare - can't replicate problem. Here's what I did (I don't know if this will work with a PC).

On your iPhone>Settings>General>Reset>Reset>Reset All Settings. Now make sure everything has been wipe from your iPhone. If not, go back and select, "Erase all Content and Settings" Everything in your Address book should be gone, except your name and phone no. Everything else should be gone to.

Now in iTunes, connect your iPhone, there should be two options, Restore from backup or Set up New Phone. Pick Set Up New Phone. Once it's finished, then manually sync your iPhone. If it all doesn't come over - music etc., change a setting such as, Manually Manage Music (don't recall exactly) and hit Apply and it should sync and everything should move over.

I think the problem may stem from a corrupted back up. iTunes creates a backup everytime you sync your phone, so since that's what's used to Restore the phone, the corruption never gets fixed when you use the Restore feature.

I'll keep testing to make sure the fix sticks, but so far so good.

nodakjones

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008
Clearing iSync History Worked!

I tried the process suggested about deleting all iPhone data. For some reason this did not work for me. I then tried the above instructions from a previous post and now my contacts are syncing perfectly!

McRumourMonger

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
iPhone won't sync with Address Book

I've tried all posted recommendations including resetting sync history, resetting iPhone, trashing ../Library/Application Support/SyncServices, etc but to no avail.

I've found that, while Mac's Address Book will not yield its data, Entourage's will if linked to the former (check >Preferences>SyncServices>Synchronise Contacts with Address Book and .Mac on Entourage).

So, as a 22-year past MS Windows user who has sworn off it after a weekend's intro to Mac, I have done the unthinkable! I've exported my Address Book cards to MS Entourage's Address on My Computer and syncing backwards to iPhone .... WORKS!

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I can't even see any contacts in my iTunes. They are in my Address Book.
I don't get it.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
contacts issues.

Im also in the middle of a contacts issue.

Last weekend my 1st gen iphone (not hacked or jailbroken) had a problem where i had been using shure headphones and mic adapter (as i have since i bought it) and i'd made a few calls via this while listening to the ipod. When i took off the headphones whenever i made or received a call it was muted. The other caller couldn't hear me and i couldn't here them.

Anyway, after a few turn on/turn offs i then restored the phone from an earlier backup. Still no joy. I finally found out that it was an issue with the headphone jack, so all is ok on this front the audio.

The main problem: I noticed a few days ago that my contacts have reverted to an old version as all my recent phone calls and texts were now just listed as the number, not the contact name. It looks as if the phone is now not recognising the link between text/call details and the contacts i have.

Ive tried resyncing via itunes, i've gone into prefs and made sure my contacts are the right ones, which they are and it still wont update my contacts. Ive checked my address book on my macbook and thats the up to date version and also my contacts on MobileMe are the right ones. It just wont update?!!

I also just imported the SIM contacts but thats just taken an even older version (no email details etc). This was a bad decision! Is there a way of deleting all my contacts and starting again?

ewiley28

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Austin, TX
I know this sounds dumb, but how am I supposed to remove a number from my contacts? I use my iPhone, address book on a MBP and MobileMe to sync them. I've had no trouble with numbers I've added appearing right, but when I try to delete numbers for a contact from my phone, they pop back up (I'm assuming from MobileMe.

If I want to delete or change information for a contact do I need to initiate the change on my laptop? Or does it need to be on the web based app of MobileMe? Or is there some way to indicate that I mean the change I made on my iPhone?

sorry for the basic nature of this, but it's really frustrating me and I'm hoping someone will be able to easily help me out.

Sojourn

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
I was also having a problem with syncing my contacts, though my problem was a little different in its specifics. I had gone and added a bunch of new contacts to Address Book (effectively doubling my total number of contacts). When I synced my iPhone via iTunes, most of them were copied over -- except about twenty of them, which just didn't show up. Very strange, as it seemed fairly arbitrary which ones went over, and which ones didn't.

I tried the iSync reset suggestion, though, and when I went back to re-sync through iTunes, it worked like a charm. Now, all of my contacts (I checked by looking at the stated number of contact "cards" in Address Book, then looking at the stated number of contacts at the bottom of the iPhone's contact list) appear on my iPhone, and I don't have to worry about this anymore!

If I have to add any more, though, I guess we'll see what happens. ;)

Take care,
Sojourn

leemac

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
California
version 10.5.6 fixed my iphone sync issue

I had tried syncing more contacts from Address Book to my iphone 3G and could not get the new ones in. I tried a couple of the things i read about here and they did not work. I was running 10.5.5 OS. I updated to 10.5.6 and that fixed the problem

McRumourMonger

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
iPhone Sync problems cured by OSX 10.5.6

Yup, all my woes with calendar and address book sync between my iPhone, MacBook Air and gMail gone with the MAC OSX 10.5.6 update!

macidiot55

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
iPhone and contacts

I have a first gen iphone... apple macbook.... running mac os X 10.4.11.

I have had great success with the two of these hardware items working together.

All of the sudden my address book won't sync my contacts with my iphone. My mail and calendar sync fine but any new contacts I add will not sync to iphone.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any fixes?

irie00

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2009
iPhone synch merging 2 Yahoo Address Books

I just bought my wife the iPhone and I already have one. I have always used Yahoo Contacts to manage my iPhone contacts. She wanted to do the same.

The problem is iTunes is merging the contacts from our Yahoo accounts both on the phones and on Yahoo, even though we sign in through different Yahoo user names when you hit "Configure" and then synch.

We share an iTunes account but I did not think that would matter.

Is it iTunes Software or I am doing something wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.