Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbill317

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I have the Desktop and Portable certifications. They were pretty easy if you know basic OS X and some of the features.

I also have my MCSE which was a waste of time. I think studying the mac exams was really informative , kinda like the A+

xcapepr

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I'm a n00b still to OSX but as a life long PC'er and IT support person, I want to spread my wings a bit more and get some Apple training.

The ACSP seems like the first step in the right direction.

Are the tests online, are there self study guides - books or PDFs :)D) like the ones for A+, Cisco, etc?

Any info appreciated!

phiberglass

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Are these training classes that you take and if completed by a certain standpoint you get a certification paper?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I was going to sit my OS X Support Essentials test about three months ago, but work matters got in the way. I did a three-day Apple-certified course (paid for by my employers), got the book, booked my exam date, and made a start on studying but back then, it was only for Tiger.

Since then, it seems I'm about to leave my job and other matters have taken priority, but at some point this year I hope to get the proper Leopard book and sit the exam, and then maybe do the ASCP later.

I'm a graphic designer, by the way, who also supports all the Macs at my workplace... not entirely convincingly, I hasten to add. :eek:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
yeah, didn't them worth it.

Only do 'em if someone else is paying.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Was 3/4 through my Apple Certified Engineer (A.C.E.) exams about 14-15 years ago, even had my little Apple Blue Passport of my exams.

I'm trying to convince my boss to let me do all the OS X and OS X server exams so I can start teaching them, (feel I'd get through the trainer certification without any hassle, I've been a Microsoft trainer for 10 years) but the cost of setting up a classroom is hugely expensive and they (the training company I work for) are not convinced it's worth it. But I keep trying.

Note to OP, if you've passed your MCSE it is worth it, there are only just over 100,000 Windows 2003 MCSE in the world, that is compared to the nearly 400,000 NT 4.0 MCSE and to be honest A+ isn't worth the paper it's written on.

zali0n

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2006
Kent, UK
Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)

Has anyone here taken their ACSP for 10.5? I've got the training book coming in the post shortly and hopefully shall be able to study enough to take the exam. From my understand though there is no video CD's or test modules included with the book. Does anyone know of any places where you can obtain these?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I've studied the book, and am taking the exam April 11th. I'm also taking OS X troubleshooting before that, and OS X Server in June.

The book has questions at the end of every chapter. Unfortunately, Apple only has a 10 question test paper online.

JSnellingJr

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
I wish there were more real test type examples. The questions after the chapters will guarantee you know exactly what you're talking about, but doesn't really supply simulation of the exam...

Pesinet

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
9l0-402

I am reading the book right now to prepare for the exam but i can't find nothing on the internet. If any one now somewhere where i can find more info about the exam. BTW any of you has already take the exam, any experinece?

Thanks

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I am reading the book right now to prepare for the exam but i can't find nothing on the internet. If any one now somewhere where i can find more info about the exam. BTW any of you has already take the exam, any experinece?

Thanks

There's a section at the start of the book about the exam, you can also find more info here:

http://training.apple.com/certification/acsp

I took the exam on Friday, next I have to take the 2 for ACMT and then Server Support...fun!

Pesinet

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
Sorry for the double post.

If you took the exam, what is your experience, difficult?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Sorry for the double post.

If you took the exam, what is your experience, difficult?

Not if you know the book;)

Know Chapter 3 (File Systems) inside out, especially all the CLI commands. The startup process is also important (names of processes, what they do etc.)

Pesinet

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
Thanks,
so with the book is pretty much the exams. The exams is now 90 q in 2 h is that true?

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I just took this test yesterday and passed, thankfully. It is true that the test has 90 questions in a 2-hour timeframe. The test wasn't horribly difficult but yes, know your stuff. Read the book and try to do the questions at the end of each chapter.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Just passed my ACSP certification. Very excited, as it's my first certification. When time and money permit, I'll go for more.

Pesinet

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
Mac OS X 10.5 9L0-402

Hi every one, today i took the exam 90 q, 2.00 h. I used the book from peachpit and a practice from P4S. The book was good, the practice was ecxellent.

Good Luck.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I have the Server exam tomorrow... booo!

I have my ACSP done...I'm doing the Server exam tomorrow, then the rest of the SA exams when they're available.

EDIT: Getting my ACMT finally done this Friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.