Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you have an iPhone and plug it in regularly, you will probably agree that the following tip from 37signals.com (via Arstechnica) is extraordinary and possibly groundbreaking for iPhone users.

That's a little bit* of an exaggeration, but the tip on how to prevent iPhoto from launching every time you plug in your iPhone can prove to be quite useful for those who have grown to loathe the inability to disable the feature without also killing iPhoto's auto-launch abilities for "real" digital cameras (myself included).

The tip is implemented in 6 well-documented steps. In short, you copy/paste a small AppleScript into Script Editor, change one line to tell the script what your camera is, and then change an Image Capture setting to no longer launch iPhoto whenever a camera is connected but rather launch this script which will then figure out whether to launch iPhoto.

195624-Image Capture002_500.jpg

If this sounds like your cup of tea, then by all means check out the details of implementing it.

*only a little bit, though

Article Link

kissmyaxe

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2006
Awesome! I've been wanting to disable this for the iPhone since the darn thing came out!

crackermac

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Just wonderful. It does get pretty annoying after a while.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Hasn't been an issue for me in months. I'm not sure what I did, but it definitely didn't require any detailed explanation. iPhoto just doesn't start-up when I plug the iPhone in.

I have to start iPhoto whenever I want to import.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Heaven forbid we open iPhoto preferences.

Ha! I think that's what it was I did. I'm away from my computer right now, but I think there may be a preference for not opening the app when a camera in hooked up.

jackbenimble4

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
Providence, RI
Ha! I think that's what it was I did. I'm away from my computer right now, but I think there may be a preference for not opening the app when a camera in hooked up.

I think the point of this tip is to still open iPhoto when cameras are connected, just not when the iPhone is connected.

williabm

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
using multiple cameras

Does anyone know how to work this so that more than 1 camera will still open iPhoto?
Thanks

Just change the line
if device_is_connected("") then
to:
if not device_is_connected("iPhone") then

This will also eliminate the need to do the usb detection steps.

williabm

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

imacericg said:
Doesn't work. Tried it twice and watched the movie. No luck.

You may need to delete the double quotes in the if statement. If the quotes look angled on the script editor, they will not work. Just delete them then retype them in.

imacericg

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007

You may need to delete the double quotes in the if statement. If the quotes look angled on the script editor, they will not work. Just delete them then retype them in.

Still doesn't work. Here is my exact code:

on device_is_connected(device_name)
set check_for_device to "ioreg -rn " & quoted form of device_name
return (length of (do shell script check_for_device) is not equal to 0)
end device_is_connected

on run
if device_is_connected("Sony DSC") then
tell application "iPhoto" to activate
end if
end run

williabm

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008

imacericg said:

Still doesn't work. Here is my exact code:

end device_is_connected

on run
if device_is_connected("Sony DSC") then
end if
end run

I will post what ihave when I get to my MacBook tonight.

williabm

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008

I will post what ihave when I get to my MacBook tonight.

Here is what my script looks like

end device_is_connected

on run
if not device_is_connected("iPhone") then
end if
end run

imacericg

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Well, we are almost there. With your code, my iPhone doesn't open iPhoto. BUT neither does my camera.

It might be a lost cause

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.