Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
Got Apple TV up and running and i'm really happy with it apart from one thing, the volume for the music is way too high...

My surround amp keeps complaining that the input is too high. TV Shows, Podcasts, Movies are fine but music it seems is being output too high.

With Apple TV there is no volume control so how do I sort out this music problem?

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Have you noticed your music way louder than your TV Shows and movies?

Thanks, Snapper

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
I have to remember to reduce the volume on my crappy HT unit by 25% or I get blasted out of the room. Literally.

And it's tough to watch something on :apple:TV when you're sitting on the street, deaf.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Got Apple TV up and running and i'm really happy with it apart from one thing, the volume for the music is way too high...

My surround amp keeps complaining that the input is too high. TV Shows, Podcasts, Movies are fine but music it seems is being output too high.

With Apple TV there is no volume control so how do I sort out this music problem?

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Have you noticed your music way louder than your TV Shows and movies?

Thanks, Snapper

Do you have sound check on in Settings>Audio?

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Do you have sound check on in Settings>Audio?

I don't. Will that cut the volume of all output to a reasonable (balanced) level? Or will it equalized/normalize the level of all sources from within :apple:TV?

My cable box is set on max, and the HT volume is set at 35.

When I switch to :apple:TV, I have to reduce the volume to (approx.) 20 to not get blown back by the remote control's clicks. Are you telling me that sound check will effectively reduce the output to (the equivalent of) my cable box's output?

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I don't. Will that cut the volume of all output to a reasonable (balanced) level? Or will it equalized/normalize the level of all sources from within :apple:TV?

My cable box is set on max, and the HT volume is set at 35.

When I switch to :apple:TV, I have to reduce the volume to (approx.) 20 to not get blown back by the remote control's clicks. Are you telling me that sound check will effectively reduce the output to (the equivalent of) my cable box's output?

Soundcheck equalizes the volume - it should make the music all the same level audio.

While this is for iTunes - the same holds true for AppleTV in my experience:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61655

How it works

When Sound Check is on, iTunes scans the songs in your library and computes characteristics of their playback volume. As new songs are added, iTunes computes this information in the background. This data is stored in either the "normalization information" ID3 tag or the iTunes Music Library database. The audio data in your music files is never changed. If you encode or "rip" a song with iTunes, the sound check level is stored in the song's ID3 tags. For songs that were encoded with iTunes 1 or iTunes 2, or another application, the sound check levels are stored in the iTunes Music Library database.

When Sound Check is off

If you turn Sound Check off, the Sound Check data stored for each song is ignored, but not removed from the iTunes Music Library or the ID3 tags.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Yeah, well, this is my problem, as is the problem of the OP:
Individual songs/tv shows/movies are not louder than their cousins... rather, they are especially loud in comparison to any other source. The problem doesn't reside in relative volume levels being output by Apple TV, but, rather, all output from Apple TV, including the sound effects, relative to all other sources.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
I'm not going to sweat this for now. I have no AV Receiver -- I have to feed the audio via HDMI through the TV, which then feeds into some junk HTIABox unit.

A new AV Receiver is on my list for next purchase, and as long as the optical out works correctly, I'll make sure that I look for that as an input.

Thanks for the info.

esoh

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008

Thanks, Snapper

I have this same problem too. It manifests itself by making it very difficult to control the volume of music coming through my receiver. Because the input levels are so high, a micro adjustment on my receiver's volume makes the volume on music too loud, so I find it extremely difficult to get the proper volume. Thinking about it this way, on a volume knob from 1-10, if I go from 1 to 2, it goes from being too soft to too loud.

I suppose there are some receivers that can address this problem, but mine can't. Any thoughts out there?

TIA.

Ed

prefabsprouter

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
I'm having the exact same issue. Every time I listen to music on my AppleTV, I have to turn my TV from volume 12 all the way down to 4 (out of 20) . The output volume on the AppleTV is so high that it sounds like it's distorting on my TV, even though it's only at volume 4. It's been 8 months since the last post. Did anyone find a solution?

BTW, I don't have an AV receiver; I listen to the TV speakers. My AppleTV connects to the TV via HDMI.

esoh

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
2.3 Update

The new 2.3 update supposedly has music volume control which could address this issue. I haven't had a chance to load it and test it, but I'll let you know if when I do.

The real answer to your question though is "no," this hasn't been solved yet pending review of 2.3

stefanjobs

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Surrey, UK
My new Apply TV with 2.3 has a music volume option.

Hey guys. This caught me by surprise too. Put on some soft music to chill out and my apple tv seemed to think i wanted to rave.

I found the volume option in Settings > Audio & Video > Control Music Volume (on or off)

Then you can use the volume up/down on remote. God bless apple to allow us to control the volume of our music. (in the 3rd minor release of the 2nd major release)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.