Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chriskotkowski

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
OHIO
Cripple

Sure verizon cripples some phones but its not like u see get it now on the treos or any blackberry they have or anything so screw you all verizon wouldnt put that on the iphone ... and also verizon turned down the iphone and decided not to take it so apple went to ATT .... apple knew that verizon has way better service and has the better internet possibilities on cell phones

kdarling

macrumors P6
Verizon does not cripple the UIs on their smartphones.

The reason they change other phones is because they had the idea that it's easier for people if every phone has the same menus. Good concept, but perhaps poor execution, limited by number of keys, of course.

As for Apple, they approached Verizon after starting talks with Cingular, perhaps with the idea of being on both networks. So the phone could easily have ended up with both GSM and CDMA models, as do others.

After a year of off/on talks, Verizon finally said no to the terms Apple wanted. Mostly they didn't like Apple controlling all sales and repairs. Verizon didn't think it was fair to their retailers like BJ's if only Apple/Verizon stores could carry the phone, for example.

Once Verizon turned them down, Apple went back to Cingular and signed a long-term exclusive deal, something Cingular (now AT&T) is rightfully smug about. Good deal for them.

pab277

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
its verzion's fault for rejecting the iPhone to begin with (or i have heard). And if Apple does happen to switch to CDMA, it wont be for another 3 or so years since Apple and AT&T have an exclusive contract binding them together to an extent of time.

skaterxx

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
indeed, I want to switch to T-Mobile though (Cingular is almost as bad as Verizon minus the crippling phones part). Hopefully Verizon's SMS price hike can get me off w/o etf

Um actually verizon and at&t have the best service and t mobile seriously has the worst they don't even have 3G how lame

runningcameron

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2007
Hi, my name's Cameron and I'm new to posting but I've been reading these forums for quite a while. I normally wouldn't post anything, but it's driving me insane to listen to people act like Verizon made a poor decision in turing down Apple. My dad works for Verizon and was involved in talks about 3 years ago that went on with Apple regarding their new phone. Apple approached Verizon prior to approaching AT&T because of its superior network; particularly its extensive EVDO coverage. Weather people like or not, Verizon's 3G network is literally years ahead of AT&T in terms of market penetration. Verizon really wanted to carry the iPhone, but Apple's demands were insane.

Verizon would have to give 20% of subscribed iPhone's monthly fares to Apple. We all knew that was a factor. However, what people don't understand is that Apple demanded that Verizon shut down its V-CAST services prior to the launch of the iPhone. Verizon compromised and agreed to a 16% deal, but refused to shut down its V-CAST services, so Apple left for AT&T. Period. The End. And Verizon valiantly responded with it's iPhone killer the Ahmazing LG Voyager!!!11!! (lmao)

Now, I'm a HUGE apple fan. I own an iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, and am considering a switch to AT&T to get the 3G iPhone when it's released. However, I couldn't help but throw this all out there when so many people were posting bull they simply can't back up.

maccigar

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Iphone for Verizon on ebay

very good story line....

interesting scam and there are actually bidders....

APPLE IPHONE UNLOCKED FOR VERIZON

DialloM

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
same here. i'm in the Washington, D.C. area.

So what's the problem? I'm in the DC area and I don't think I've ever gone below three bars. AT&T has spectacular coverage in the DC Metro area.

AT&T is expensive, TMOBILE has the sooooo much better coverage than verizon in the DC area, I havent gone below 4 bars. I don't know if it is the iPhone or the GSM call quality but I can hear people so much clearer ever since I switch to tmobile

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Um actually verizon and at&t have the best service and t mobile seriously has the worst they don't even have 3G how lame

Service as in "Customer Service". I'd rather have good prices and excellent people skills that a provider who gets bills wrong and are impersonal. I have T-mobile now and every praise that you read of them is true. True they don't have 3G yet, but they will by 2008's end.

Somethings are better than being "the biggest and baddest".

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
its verzion's fault for rejecting the iPhone to begin with (or i have heard). And if Apple does happen to switch to CDMA, it wont be for another 3 or so years since Apple and AT&T have an exclusive contract binding them together to an extent of time.

Apple doesn't need to switch to CDMA for Verizon. Verizon's switching to GSM/LTE for 4G.

ncavs10

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
CT
when i first looked into getting the iphone, i wanted it on verizon but switched anyway, and now i have no problem with AT&T.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
The switch is not going to happen for at least another 3-4 years. Vzw has not said if LTE will be used for voice, it might just be on the data side only.

Considering the costs of perpetually having dual LTE/EV-DO phones and networks, it makes more sense for Verizon to phase out EV-DO completely.

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Germany
Considering the costs of perpetually having dual LTE/EV-DO phones and networks, it makes more sense for Verizon to phase out EV-DO completely.
Given that virtually all UMTS phones are dual GSM/UMTS phones, it's unlikely that LTE phones will drop GSM and UMTS support. However, GSM, UMTS and LTE are compatible (e.g. they use the same SIM card, there's handover, etc.) and the GSM/UMTS family is supported in every country (there's GSM everywhere except in Japan and South Korea, which do have UMTS).

Ori Blum

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
Looks like not 'til 2012

I have verizon and hope they eventually get the iphone (although i probably won't be able to afford it) but knowing verizon, it will probably be 5 years until they get it. Almost every carrier had the razr before verizon did.
Cingular always gets the best phones first :(
IMO verizon has the best network, but the worst phones.

5 years is exactly right (well, 5 years from the June '07 release). See http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/2007-05-21-at&t-iphone_N.htm .

I don't know the terms of the contract or consequences of an Apple breach -- anyone know more about this or similar (I know, I know: iPhone can't be compared...) agreements with such a 5-yr term?

- Ori Blum

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Given that virtually all UMTS phones are dual GSM/UMTS phones, it's unlikely that LTE phones will drop GSM and UMTS support. However, GSM, UMTS and LTE are compatible (e.g. they use the same SIM card, there's handover, etc.) and the GSM/UMTS family is supported in every country (there's GSM everywhere except in Japan and South Korea, which do have UMTS).

Korea actually dominantly uses CDMA, not GSM. I'm not even sure if they HAVE any GSM carriers.

LTE isn't exactly compatible with UTMS and GSM per se just as UTMS isn't exactly compatible with GSM. 3G phones that support 2G still have both GSM and UTMS radios as the underlying radio is different. They are implemented in a way that uses SIM cards because the GSM Association decided to use UTMS as the 3G solution, just as LTE is the 4G solution.

alekona

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Verizon/Iphone

The simple answer: No. The long of it: I went in to upgrade back in November and they tried to sell me the voyager or the venus (can't remember; the one similar to the iphone) and I said no I'd rather have the iphone. The guy said that Apple went to Verizon first and they said no because they didn't like how the whole warranty issue would be played out. I think that's kind of stupid. But what do I know.

Mr Bean

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
iPhone on the Verizon network! Keep Dreaming.

Verizon does not get the best phones and most likley will not get the iPhone for one reason. Money! Verizon has always and will always be one step behind when it comes to hardware because they go with the cheapest to buy and the equipment that offers greatest profit margin. We verizon user suffer thru it because they have one of the best networks. I have a RAZR Still and there is not one verizon phone that I am excited to switch to. Verizons sad attempt to compete with the iPhone (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3299) is the stupidest thing ever! Also does anyone else notice how much it looks like the (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3056). Ok so it has a smal touch screen on the front whoo hoo. Personally I think Verizon is to big for it's own good. :p And as always this is one man's opinion so DO NOT take this as fact and or suggestion! :p

TJames

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Any talk of a Verizon iPhone?

ModNote™: This post is the OP of a merged thread. --mkrishnan

Hey guys, i'm new to MacRumors, but anyway, i was just wondering if there was any talk of a Verizon iPhone? My phone service is verizon, and i really want to get an iPhone. I heard they are releasing a whole new iphone for verizon, is this true? thanks guys.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
I highly doubt it. They have focused on GSM which Verizon does not use, and I doubt they would change that

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
Verizon had their chance, they wanted to put all kinds of restrictions on it, apple moved on to AT&T. Sucks to be Verizon, stuck with your closed interface....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.