Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Why would it be that my brand new MBP (2.4 Penryn) gets a far weaker signal than my six-year-old PB G4 Titanium?

I've tried placing each laptop in the same room in the same location on the same desk, and the new MBP will get a very low signal, whereas the TiBook will get a nice strong one.

The new MBP gets a fine signal when it is very close to my router, but from far away it just cannot compete with the range of the TiBook.

Is this normal?

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Why would it be that my brand new MBP (2.4 Penryn) gets a far weaker signal than my six-year-old PB G4 Titanium?

I've tried placing each laptop in the same room in the same location on the same desk, and the new MBP will get a very low signal, whereas the TiBook will get a nice strong one.

The new MBP gets a fine signal when it is very close to my router, but from far away it just cannot compete with the range of the TiBook.

Is this normal?

Does the new one drop the connection or are you just talking about the strength indicator in the menu bar? In Leopard, the indicator tends to show less strength than it did in Tiger, but actual performance remains the same.

porterboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
new mbp penryn not closing well

Hi Guys,
this is my first post. i bought a mbp penryn (2.4gh) last thursday night.
today, friday, i started to configure things and then i realized that the laptop doesnt close well. the left side of the screen is more lifted than the right side?
i mean i just opened it today...its about 2-3 mm ajarred compared to the right side.

will i get an exchange without having to pay restocking fee?

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Hi Guys,
this is my first post. i bought a mbp penryn (2.4gh) last thursday night.
today, friday, i started to configure things and then i realized that the laptop doesnt close well. the left side of the screen is more lifted than the right side?
i mean i just opened it today...its about 2-3 mm ajarred compared to the right side.

will i get an exchange without having to pay restocking fee?

yes, take it to the apple store

zgnoud

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
dont know man, my penryn gets maxium signal and is able at its maximum download speed - but then again my router is pretty decent too (108mbps NETGEAR)

higham

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2007
dont know man, my penryn gets maxium signal and is able at its maximum download speed - but then again my router is pretty decent too (108mbps NETGEAR)

yep mine is the same, i got a netgear router to but i'm not sure what the speed is of it think its only a 54mbps.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Does the new one drop the connection or are you just talking about the strength indicator in the menu bar? In Leopard, the indicator tends to show less strength than it did in Tiger, but actual performance remains the same.

The new one sometimes shows less strength, but the really odd thing is that it usually shows all five AirPort bars and yet gets really low throughput. So it's getting a good connection to the router, at least most of the time (every 5 hours or so, its connection to the router drops down to a single bar).

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
The new one sometimes shows less strength, but the really odd thing is that it usually shows all five AirPort bars and yet gets really low throughput. So it's getting a good connection to the router, at least most of the time (every 5 hours or so, its connection to the router drops down to a single bar).

I'd try changing the channel. I had an intermittent slow-down issue a while back, with Airport Express, and fiddled with a couple of diferent channel settings. Since changing to channel 11, no problems.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
doesnt the TiBook have more plastic areas than a MBP? Then of course it would have better reception.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The New MBP is the winner

Further testing has revealed that the MBP has a vastly superior antenna, contrary to my first impressions. There were some intermittent issues with the router and all the other networks around this house. Changing the channel made a huge difference, but only on the third channel change (which is why I ruled out a channel problem at first).

Now it's clear that the old TiBook gets nowhere near the reception that the Penryn MBP gets. I pick up 10 different WiFi networks when I scan with the new machine, and the old TiBook is only able to detect two of those.

I must say this new MBP is simply amazing. I'm so thrilled with it!

skiesforme

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Further testing has revealed that the MBP has a vastly superior antenna, contrary to my first impressions. There were some intermittent issues with the router and all the other networks around this house. Changing the channel made a huge difference, but only on the third channel change (which is why I ruled out a channel problem at first).

Now it's clear that the old TiBook gets nowhere near the reception that the Penryn MBP gets. I pick up 10 different WiFi networks when I scan with the new machine, and the old TiBook is only able to detect two of those.

I must say this new MBP is simply amazing. I'm so thrilled with it!

Nice to know that it worked out for you. I just sent you a reply to your query. Yes, the Penryn MBP has better reception than even my MB now :D

Mott

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
This is good news. I feel much better about setting up my new MBP tonight. I'll try the steps mentioned above and measure the results using a Wifi sniffer that gives out an actual number value for signal strength. I've used KisMAC on my ibook. Is there another one you guys would recommend?

skiesforme

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
This is good news. I feel much better about setting up my new MBP tonight. I'll try the steps mentioned above and measure the results using a Wifi sniffer that gives out an actual number value for signal strength. I've used KisMAC on my ibook. Is there another one you guys would recommend?

iStumbler works for me.

rsm5068

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
I don't have any of these problems with my new MBP. Just got it yesterday and it was a perfect setup (aside from forgetting the password for my network) and operation.

Mott

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
iStumbler works for me.

Thanks Ski.

The problem isn't the reception it's the Noise level. I'm running Istumbler on my MBP and G4 Ibook. The MBP has a noise level of about 17-18% on all networks found, but my Ibook has a reading of ZERO for noise. MBP does however get about double the signal strength over the IB. It does seem though that the reception comes and goes, one minute it's full bars then it's two or one.:confused:

I'll have to keep an eye on it and recheck my Linksys 350n settings.

Fyi I have the 350n set for G; only as a test though.

skiesforme

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Thanks Ski.

The problem isn't the reception it's the Noise level. I'm running Istumbler on my MBP and G4 Ibook. The MBP has a noise level of about 17-18% on all networks found, but my Ibook has a reading of ZERO for noise. MBP does however get about double the signal strength over the IB. It does seem though that the reception comes and goes, one minute it's full bars then it's two or one.:confused:

I'll have to keep an eye on it and recheck my Linksys 350n settings.

Fyi I have the 350n set for G; only as a test though.

It seems to be the same for me. Noise is always there whatever channel you chose, even if you are on a channel no one else is using in your vicinity. Noise may also be due to other laptops "Active scanning" all DSSS channel frequencies, and of course from all sorts of electromagnetic devices around us. So I think iStumbler shows us the right noise level. Ibook showing zero noise level is something I don't understand. It might be the case that the iBook Airport card is not set to listen to other Wi-Fi channels (is passive) while associated with a given router. Not 100% sure though... surely is interesting.
Yesterday, I noticed something interesting as well. My iPhone always shows ful wi-fi signal. It was near my MBP and while the MBP showed full signal, the iPhone had just 1 bar ! :confused:. So I took it in my had and moved about a bit in the living room (router is in the same room) but it stayed at 1 bar. I had to turn wi-fi on and it was fine again. :) Who knows what's with the radio propagation model !!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.