Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jailbreaking

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
All though everyone has been saying 'My JB works perfectly, its like a brand new one'.....Dont Do It.

When you gather up the courage to push that button "Jailbreak" on whatever system...you pray to iPod God that it will work....when it does (Mine didnt, using iJailbreak 0.5.4 it went into DFU Mode straight after it said it was done?? wtf...i restored but anyway...) you think..kool...lets install things, you do it...enjoy it and when something goes wrong...you regret it or demand help like 'HELP! I bricked Mine...stuck in DFU....Apps Gone etc.." Or when something goes wrong like 'OMG I can't restore....'...hello its your fault.

I was a jailbreaking enthusiast...I like Jailbreaking, but couldnt do it on 1.1.1 because It was like a day old when i heard about JB'ing or Unshackling. So i held off till 1.1.4 as I had 1.1.3 before that... and all programs required 'A Jailbroken 1.1.2 or 1.1.1' And then the DFU and Not Restore thing happened (with iJailbreak 0.5.4)...Mind you without trying again...just to connect it to iTunes and put music on it. Jailbreaking seriously screws around with the device. Allthough it seems cool to do (JB'ing)...Apple has placed these restrictions for a reason. Until someone comes up with a Fool and Appleproof method that does not have any faults or problems that could occur, then I will jailbreak. Or if anyone on this forum is nice enough to post clear instructions on how to use iJailbreak on a Mac and what will happen after it supposedly completes (Is the DFU image supposed to appear??????? Do I wait for a certain amount of time??????) then I may join you in this burgeoning community of hackers.

Thankyou and please reply.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
That is very misleading. I have jailbroken 2 ipods from 1.1.1 -->1.1.3. If you follow directions, and I think that there are times certain people, do no understand the directions fully, it does work.

I have used the Dev teams JB on both my Touchs. Not one problem. One did not JB the first time and I just restored and started again. Done.

Both are running 1.1.3. They play iTunes purchased music and amazon for that matter. They are loaded with games I enjoy to pass the time. I listen to FM music on FlyTunes. I could not be happier. Movies play fine and pictures load without a hitch.

Twice you mentioned ijailbreak, that did not work for me. That is most likely your problem. It only works with 8 gig phones and Touchs.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I'm with dagored jailbreaking works 100% when you read properly the steps needed, obviously when you do read or understand something properly then yes you will fall under the catergory of failed jailbreaks and we get posts like this.

instead of posting threads like this why not stop and go can someone help me this is what I done this is what happend could someone help me fix what happend ;)

jbarr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Hmmm. I just did a full Restore using the v1.1.4 file, had iTunes treat it as a new iPod, and it upgraded to "stock" v1.1.4 without a hitch, including the "January Update" apps I paid for. I then ran ZiPhone-Win-v2.5 and it Jailbroke with 100% success. I've since installed a number of applications, synced with iTunes, and so far, so good.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
i think the touch and iphone jailbreaking has made a lot of people that would normally never hack anything feel like they can do it, and when one click solutions do not work they get angry, this is because they have no experience of these sort of things, hopefully the sdk will stop noobs from doing it and the complaining, i have nothing against enlightened hackers doing things but i am getting a bit fed up with noops whinning about bricked iphones etc (when usually they are not even actually bricked, they are just throwing around phrases that they read elsewhere with knowing what it all means and copy and pasting random things into terminal lol.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
What a thoroughly misleading and inaccurate title. Just because you couldn't jailbreak your device properly, doesn't mean it can't be done, as quite clearly, thousands have managed it just fine.

chicken2

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
how can you be so sure that it doesnt work, 4 of my friends have touchs and they all JB theirs, and they work perfectly.....

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I JBd 1.1.1, and it works flawlessly. I think the OP just doesn't know how to do it right, rather than the actual process being at fault.

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Actually

I own an 8GB Touch and used iJailbreak 0.5.4 which happens to be a frontend to ZiPhone 2.5 for Windows. How come then....is it going straight into DFU Mode after to JB? Is there something I have to do? and my iPod is a 1.1.4 + Jan Upgrade.

I ended up having to use iFuntastic to get it out of Recovery Mode/DFU Mode. Now, If i restore again, will it get stuck there again?????????? I didnt mean to get you guys and gals all sore at me, just because the most popular method, iJailbreak/ZiPhone for Mac OS X didn't work for me doesnt mean it wouldnt work for anyone else. I have contacted the developer of that program for information, and you know what? there has been no reply. He 'AriX' doesnt read emails or he just doesnt want to know that his program doesn't work.

I will gladly change my opinion on Jailbreaking, if somebody on here, tells me how to do a Jailbreak Safely and with a relatively easy to use Application for Mac OS X not Windows.

Thankyou for your undertstanding. And again...I will apologize for my post if I receive instructions on how to do the JB, easy ones and it works on my 8GB iPod.

Thankyou again

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I Am Saying

that Jailbreaking seriously stuffs around with the device in question. Apple placed the restrictions for a reason. Thats why Jailbreaking doesnt work. It may seem to everyone that it does, but you cannot see into the internal workings of the iPod or iPhone and you dont know what it really does to it. Me, I am waiting for a good set of instructions to do it in a fool-proof way on a Mac with Leopard. If nobody can provide a fool-proof way then, that proves it, people cannot provide a jailbreak method that is foolproof as there is 99.99999% chance that something will go drastically wrong and then well, your stuck with a darn expensive paperweight until you find some dangerous way to get it back to normal. Like I said, I tried it twice with iJailbreak which is a front-end to ZiPhone. It didnt work for me. Now can someone please answer this question......... it is below:

After the message in iJailbreak appears 'Enjoy you're newly jailbroken iPod touch'. The iPod displays a DFU Mode screen. I saw that and thought it failed. Will it reboot automatically to the actual JB'd iPod? or was it right to restore with iTunes?

I would appreciate an answer.

Thankyou.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
again with the jailbreaking doesn't work lol I am on a soft jailbreak 1.1.4 and everything is working 100% like it was when I got my ipod jailbroken to 1.1.3 so just cause u messed up doesn't mean it doesn't work :rolleyes:

jailbreak to 1.1.2 make sure you have installed bsd subsystem and open ssh, add the following source to installer

http://ipodtouchmaster.com/files/repo.xml

goto mobile jailbreak select 1.1.4 confirm to install it leave the ipod alone for about 45 mins if it does not reboot by then, hold the sleep/home keys to reboot ipod and when its turned back on you should get a slide to unlock when you unlock boom 1.1.4 jailbroken

Vigilante

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2007
Florida.
I jailbroke my iPod with a one click method, but I'm assuming that is much too hard for you to accomplish. :p Seriously though, just try it again if you are really interested in having a superior device, follow one of the hundred or so good jailbreaking posts step by step (and make sure you have the right version for their process).

itsadoozy

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
I have been living with a Jailbreak iPod Touch 8GB v 1.1.3 since Dec and it's been great, and the process was simple and painless.

Recently...today in fact, tried to go to 1.1.4 and then Jailbreak with Ziphone 2.5c GUI app.

Worked ok to a fashion, until I realised that the Installer failed to install any apps. Wifi worked fine, as did Safari and YouTube so decided to back track to 1.1.3, and that's when the fun began. Crashed the device and hung at the command line...luckily the other top thread on this subject guided me to how to restore my device, which looked pretty goosed at this point.

Have now recovered to a 1.1.1 fresh device, and will now upgrade via iTunes to a 1.1.4 and try Ziphone Jailbreak again.

Good thing is, if you do mess up or it hangs, you can at least restore everything back to factory defaults, so nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you have problems with your device, I suggest starting from scratch, and if all else fails, stick with a non-Jailbreak version.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
It seems that results can be mixed, for whatever reason. Probably a result of user error or jailbreak incompatibility. Either way, its very easy for some, and nearly impossible for others. If your not comfortable with possibly messy outcomes, then I wouldn't bother trying.

Things to remember:

1. Ziphone is only for 8 gig iphones/touches. If you were lucky enough to get it to work on a 16 gig, chances are it won't happen the next time.

2. There is no "real jailbreak" for 1.1.3 or 1.1.4, except for those that get ziphone to work.

3. There is a fix for any problem you can encounter, and you should be able to very easily do a restore. As long as you don't mess with the hardware, you will be fine. You may need to reinstall itunes or something, but no one has bricked a touch yet.

In my opinion, if you want to jailbreak, stick with 1.1.1 or 1.1.2. They are the most stable. I upgraded and have gone stock, but, if I were to JB I would go back to those. When Zitouch comes out or the dev team releases their JB, then I will probably try those.

Good Luck! Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it!

bnizzy

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
NYC
sheer laziness.

thats why JB isnt working for you.

Do you have any idea how many threads there are with ppl posting instructions on JB and how many ppl are enjoying JB right now???

JB 1.1.3:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/426137/

try this one on for size. i can personally attest that it works perfectly.

If you're looking for a no-brainer-watereddown-retard-version where you just push one button and its all done "perfectly" and "fool" proof and "apple-fool proof", you're better off not JB your iPod for right now.

So either spend some time reading up on threads and just do it, or stop complaining and posting threads with seriously misleading titles.

i bet you ended up wasting more time by being lazy in the first place.

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Ok

sheer laziness.

thats why JB isnt working for you.

Do you have any idea how many threads there are with ppl posting instructions on JB and how many ppl are enjoying JB right now???

JB 1.1.3:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/426137/

try this one on for size. i can personally attest that it works perfectly.

If you're looking for a no-brainer-watereddown-retard-version where you just push one button and its all done "perfectly" and "fool" proof and "apple-fool proof", you're better off not JB your iPod for right now.

So either spend some time reading up on threads and just do it, or stop complaining and posting threads with seriously misleading titles.

i bet you ended up wasting more time by being lazy in the first place.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:I do not appreciate being called lazy. I actually develop software for Mac OS X and play alot of sport. As I implied in the previous post, Jailbreaking may SEEM to work for everyone that does it successfully, but as you cannot see the inside of the device (i.e. Firmware and stuff) you do not know what it actually does.

And also, when something happens, like you are stuck at the command line on the iPod or iPhone, you search for help and try to unbrick the device, if it doesnt work, you simply get angry and say things like 'It didn't work my iPhone is a brick etc....' and dont patronize me on that one, oh no because there are plenty of examples out there on the site where people have gotten angry at their devices being bricked.

Recently, I looked up Rupert Gee on Wordpress, as my friend recommended him, I also downloaded ZiPhone 2.5c as recommended by my best friend, launched it, and....it Jailbroke. Complete with Installer. The only thing i really don't like is the fact the Customize (well, what does it do?) isn't compatible with 1.1.4 on iPods or iPhones, or even 1.1.3 for that matter.

I was actually going to step back on my implications that Jailbreaking doesnt really work (again, it may seem to, but inside, it doesn't) when I saw you're post Bnizzy Its posts like yours that get people angry, do you go down the street and see a teenage boy walking to work 'lazy' or any stranger 'lazy'?

Since my Jailbreak worked successfully.. I am going to.. Well you people across my time zone will see tomorrow.

Thanks for your implication Bnizzy, I haven't laughed that much in ages.

Cheers everyone else who aided me in the quest for Jailbreaking.

Now. MacRumors and everyone else, i dont mean to sound rude, but I was insulted so this is what I have to say.

And BTW, i Jailbroke natively on 1.1.4.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
You CAN NOT 'brick' a Touch!

'Brick'ing refers to the inability to make phone calls due to a corrupted baseband.

Secondly, Jailbreaking for myself is a 0 risk premise. I've used nearly every method since the first Jailbreak through Terminal.

For others reading this thread Jailbreak does NOT work on iPT 16GB

xXriderXx7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Lake Elsinore, California
First off, you may get more credence if you spoke a little more eloquently, because to me, it sounded as if you are a child.

Your altruism's about jailbreaking are vastly incorrect, as countless individuals are running jailbroken iPod's and iPhones. The only reason you dont hear as much about those is that they have no problems to speak of.

Al I have to say is grow up.
If your life is in such distress then dont worry about jailbreaking a simple ipod, focus on things that really matter.

And finally, didnt you expect flaming with a thread title such as yours?

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
You CAN NOT 'brick' a Touch!

'Brick'ing refers to the inability to make phone calls due to a corrupted baseband.

Secondly, Jailbreaking for myself is a 0 risk premise. I've used nearly every method since the first Jailbreak through Terminal.

For others reading this thread Jailbreak does NOT work on iPT 16GB

On the contrary, you can 'brick' any electronics. 'Bricking' means making something completely inoperable, and therefore as useful as a brick.

With regards to Jailbreaking not working, I've had a Jailbroken and unlocked iPhone for months, and I've updated mine whenever a new Jailbreak has been available. The only problem I ever had was caused by eBay crashing Safari.

bnizzy

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
NYC
:mad::mad::mad::mad:I do not appreciate being called lazy. I actually develop software for Mac OS X and play alot of sport. As for other things making me lazy, I have a relative that is very sick and will be for the rest of her life, so most of the time, I am on my feet running (literally) errands for her. As I implied in the previous post, Jailbreaking may SEEM to work for everyone that does it successfully, but as you cannot see the inside of the device (i.e. Firmware and stuff) you do not know what it actually does.

And also, when something happens, like you are stuck at the command line on the iPod or iPhone, you search for help and try to unbrick the device, if it doesnt work, you simply get angry and say things like 'It didn't work my iPhone is a brick etc....' and dont patronize me on that one, oh no because there are plenty of examples out there on the site where people have gotten angry at their devices being bricked.

Recently, I looked up Rupert Gee on Wordpress, as my friend recommended him, I also downloaded ZiPhone 2.5c as recommended by my best friend, launched it, and....it Jailbroke. Complete with Installer. The only thing i really don't like is the fact the Customize (well, what does it do?) isn't compatible with 1.1.4 on iPods or iPhones, or even 1.1.3 for that matter.

I was actually going to step back on my implications that Jailbreaking doesnt really work (again, it may seem to, but inside, it doesn't) when I saw you're post Bnizzy Its posts like yours that get people angry, do you go down the street and see a teenage boy walking to work 'lazy' or any stranger 'lazy'?

Since my Jailbreak worked successfully.. I am going to.. Well you people across my time zone will see tomorrow.

Thanks for your implication Bnizzy, I haven't laughed that much in ages.

Cheers everyone else who aided me in the quest for Jailbreaking.

Now. MacRumors and everyone else, i dont mean to sound rude, but I was insulted so this is what I have to say.

And BTW, i Jailbroke natively on 1.1.4.

Um..... are u kidding me?

You are one major drama queen. Starting from the title of this thread, down to the personal details about your relative being sick... um.... be more dramatic why don't you.

if you have BIGGER issues in your life than JBing an iPod, I suggest you go deal with those issues before spending your time in forums arguing with me about how I think you're lazy because you write threads like this before running simple searches.

I 100% agree with :

First off, you may get more credence if you spoke a little more eloquently, because to me, it sounded as if you are a child.

Your altruism's about jailbreaking are vastly incorrect, as countless individuals are running jailbroken iPod's and iPhones. The only reason you dont hear as much about those is that they have no problems to speak of.

Al I have to say is grow up.
If your life is in such distress then dont worry about jailbreaking a simple ipod, focus on things that really matter.

And finally, didnt you expect flaming with a thread title such as yours?

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
There.

Does that satisfy you bnizzy? I have edited my post. And I hope in your eyes, that I don't seem like a drama queen. You shouldn't have called me lazy in the first place.

Now..my Jailbreak worked perfectly. My best mate told me how to do it with quite complicated instructions. I did it and now i wanna know when Customize will be out for 1.1.3 and 1.1.4. And I also don't know what I would do without Lights Off. I love that game. Does anyone else find that game unimaginably addictive (like tetris) ??? Cos I found the secret to the game (or so i think) and that has helped me get up to level 89.

Cheers All!

bnizzy

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
NYC
There.

Does that satisfy you bnizzy? I have edited my post. And I hope in your eyes, that I don't seem like a drama queen. You shouldn't have called me lazy in the first place.

Now..my Jailbreak worked perfectly. My best mate told me how to do it with quite complicated instructions. I did it and now i wanna know when Customize will be out for 1.1.3 and 1.1.4. And I also don't know what I would do without Lights Off. I love that game. Does anyone else find that game unimaginably addictive (like tetris) ??? Cos I found the secret to the game (or so i think) and that has helped me get up to level 89.

Cheers All!

Ok, clearly you take things way too far and seriously and personally.
All I was saying was that you should run searches before starting threads called "Don't Jailbreak!!!!!!!! IT DOESNT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

therefore I called you lazy. jeez man, calm down, its not like I called u smth that bad. and its not an insult.

have u tried running a search on customize?

Customize 1.1.3 has been out.
its been working.
there's been so many posts about it already.

1.1.4 Customize, I dont know about that. But there are many posts about the 1.1.3 version.

Congratuations on JB ur iPod. Now I'm sure you can see why the title this thread is false, and the responses you've gotten because of it. It seems as though you are enjoying JB, evidenced by your multiple threads about how great it is.

All I'm sayin is u need to start using that SEARCH BAR in the upper right hand corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.