Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkjazzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
How do I adjust the playback speed in Imovie 08?

For example, in quicktime you can speed up and slow down the video playback speed. How do you do it in Imovie 08?

Thank you in advance.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
How do I adjust the playback speed in Imovie 08?

For example, in quicktime you can speed up and slow down the video playback speed. How do you do it in Imovie 08?

Thank you in advance.

If your looking to do what I wanted to do which was a certain clip I wanted the video to go slow motion during some music, from what I read it wasn't possible without the use of some outside help.

I googled a while back when I had this idea and there was a tool that you essentially modify the movie clip but it seemed like a lot of trouble. Since it eventually exported the edited clip as *.mov and I was still just learning iLife.

I was told in another forum that you could slow the playback in another tool (not sure if you can do it in quicktime then save the *.mov file) then import it into your project.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
You can download iMovie '06 from Apple's website, slow down your clip and drag and drop the slowed down version out of iMovie '06 and into iMovie '08. Actually, you could do your whole project in iMovie '06.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
You can download iMovie '06 from Apple's website, slow down your clip and drag and drop the slowed down version out of iMovie '06 and into iMovie '08. Actually, you could do your whole project in iMovie '06.

I just saw (via chatting with another MR user than iMovieHD was available for people who bought iLife '08, IS in fact the regular (if there is a product) iMovie 08 available as well? I didn't see this, guess I need to go back and search some more, what about the other iLife products like iWeb06?

Thanks for the nfo, there was a scene in my daughter Fun Run I have Chariots of Fire playing and really wanted to slow the running speed but keep the music (sounds corny but turned out ok minus the slow motion running) if I can re-do the movie I would.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
As far as I know, only iMovie '06 is available for download. The reason for this is that iMovie '08 is a complete re-write of the program and, although new, drops lots of features that were originally present in '06 (such as special effects). For many users, this was a 'downgrade', but when upgrading from iLife '06 to iLife '08, iMovie '06 gets deleted (Intel Mac users only).

After numerous complaints, Apple posted iMovie '06 online so that those who didn't want or like the new '08 version could still use the old one if they preferred.

Personally, I've not tried out '08 yet, but will do when my new MBP gets here this/next week. My new-to-Mac dad is raving about it on his new iMac...

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
As far as I know, only iMovie '06 is available for download. The reason for this is that iMovie '08 is a complete re-write of the program and, although new, drops lots of features that were originally present in '06 (such as special effects). For many users, this was a 'downgrade', but when upgrading from iLife '06 to iLife '08, iMovie '06 gets deleted (Intel Mac users only).

After numerous complaints, Apple posted iMovie '06 online so that those who didn't want or like the new '08 version could still use the old one if they preferred.

Personally, I've not tried out '08 yet, but will do when my new MBP gets here this/next week. My new-to-Mac dad is raving about it on his new iMac...

I like iMovie 08 and have no experience with 06. I find the entire series easy. Made a few movies with some funky edits and they came out great. Some features I did wish were there and through time found out they existed in previous versions. Tonight I think (in addition to playing with my new camera) I'll be installed 06 as well to play with it. I am however a little pv'd that (from the same MR user I mentioned earlier) my Vid Cam might not be supported, but maybe it will be ok since I also have 08.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.