Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resevdog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Now that I have finally mastered the art of adding ringtones to my iPhone, I'm looking for some fun ideas for ringtones. For a while I went with the 24 "CTU" ringtone, and that was fine until EVERYONE started using it. Now I cringe when I hear it. I then went with "Battle Without Honor" (you may know it as the awesome O-ren Ishi walking music from Kill Bill). It's getting old. I need some new ideas. Songs are okay, but I'd rather go with something fun. Sound effects, pop culture references...what are you using?

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Now that I have finally mastered the art of adding ringtones to my iPhone, I'm looking for some fun ideas for ringtones. For a while I went with the 24 "CTU" ringtone, and that was fine until EVERYONE started using it. Now I cringe when I hear it. I then went with "Battle Without Honor" (you may know it as the awesome O-ren Ishi walking music from Kill Bill). It's getting old. I need some new ideas. Songs are okay, but I'd rather go with something fun. Sound effects, pop culture references...what are you using?

The "middle 8" from Anarchy in the UK. It's fun because almost everyone (of a certain age) recognises it, but few can actually place it.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
I've been using the "Menahmenah" song from the Muppet Show. The theme from the Looney Toons, Tom & Jerry, and Yakkity Sax, the song from the Benny Hill show.

I also have the audio from the shower scene in Psycho set for a couple of the girls in my address book.

m477h3w

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Bristol, UK
Do you know the TV show Countdown? It's on in the UK but not sure about the US? Well, my ringtone is the Countdown Clock, and my text alert is the last few seconds of the clock. It is so hillarious to see peoples faces when they hear it! If you've seen the show you'll know what I mean :D

senorFunkyPants

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
England
The first 30 odd secs of "the Who - Won't get fooled again" its brilliant, carries well and sounds good through mobile phone speakers (not usually the case for songs used for ringtones).
Its (or was) the opening music for CSi Miami.

HotblackDesiato

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
Scotland
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

One of the best opening riffs of all time, and then Ozzy's vocals come in at a frequency that lets you hear your phone ringing from miles away.

MWillis561

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
The Unit

I've been using the ringtone from the show "The Unit". It is the sound that there phone makes when they get a call for a "special assignment". It's been pretty good so far.

iSimon

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Glasgow
Well I only got my iPhone yesterday. Last night I just tried to create a ringtone from my mp3 collection to test the concept and the first song I came to that seemed to be 'ringtone-able' was the Airwolf theme. I'm actually fairly happy with it for now so I think I'll be sticking with it till I find something better - though I do like the idea of the countdown clock!

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I have three favorites:

1) My 10 year old daughter telling me I have a phone call
2) Stay Calm....Its only the phone (this is a voice/klaxon style ringtone)
3) 30 sec clip from The Annoying Thing (Crazy Frog Rip) This one drives everyone crazy and alot of stares from those around...cant help but answer it to shut it off before the lynch mobs start formin.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
The first 30 odd secs of "the Who - Won't get fooled again" its brilliant, carries well and sounds good through mobile phone speakers (not usually the case for songs used for ringtones).
Its (or was) the opening music for CSi Miami.

I would love to have that one, or any of the CSI theme songs for that matter. :)

I have a few on my current phone that will be transfered to my iPhone.

"We will rock you" - queen
The chanting kind of part (hard to explain) from the song "Weeping" by Josh Groban.
"The Day Before You" - Rascal Flatts

I have a few others, but those are my current favorites.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I have a few I use...

The theme from the TV shows "The Shield," "Arrested Development," and "Flight of the Conchords."

Carnivor

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
I used to use GnR Sweet Child of mine, you can loop the intro quite nicelly. atm tho im just using a oversampled ring ring, ie its really loud on the edge of distortion as opposed to a nicelly balanced sample. seems to work!

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
In this Rapidshare link, you will find a zipped file containing the following ringtones...

Arrested Development theme
Dethklok Coffee Jingle
CTU 24
Dethklok Theme song
Enzyte commercial music
Flight of the Conchords theme
Perfect Timing
PIMP
Scotty Doesn't Know (From Euro Trip) version 1
Scotty Doesn't Know (From Euro Trip) version 2
Spider-Man 67 theme song
The Shield theme

Enjoy

http://rapidshare.com/files/97039500/ringtones.zip.html

HeyKenny

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2007
I usually use one of these:

- the opening of Fox On The Run (The Sweet)
- the synth solo at the end of Lucky Man (ELP)
- the section of Peaches En Regalia (Zappa) starting at about 2:05
- the open of Over Under Sideways Down (The Yardbirds)
- a comp I made of David Lee Roth's vocals solo'd out from Runnin' With The Devil (search youtube if you haven't heard this yet!)

all seem to cut through noise (or a pocket) really well - and the DLR ringer always brings a smile

I am going to have to try The Final Countdown as well!!

FoxyApple

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
can you tell me how you get your iphone to recognize more than one custom rigntone, mine always shows up as one tone many times.

and where did you get the 24 ring sample?

Resevdog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
can you tell me how you get your iphone to recognize more than one custom rigntone, mine always shows up as one tone many times.

and where did you get the 24 ring sample?

Not sure what you're doing when you add them, but it seems as long as the names are different, you shouldn't have a problem.

The CTU ringtone came from an mp3 which can be found all over the internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.