Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhotoBill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I'm wondering what the best file format would be for an external HDD connected to the Airport Extreme...I have a mixed environment some Apple machines, and a few Windows machines, and I'd like all of them to be able to access all of the data on the drive.

Advice....

Thanks,
Bill

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
I'm wondering what the best file format would be for an external HDD connected to the Airport Extreme...I have a mixed environment some Apple machines, and a few Windows machines, and I'd like all of them to be able to access all of the data on the drive.

Advice....

Thanks,
Bill

It doesn't matter for the AEBS. You have to pick what's best for you. Here are the most popular choices:

FAT32 - Will have full access from both Mac and PC, but have to deal with 4GB filesize limit.
NTFS - Will have full access from PC and read only from Mac... though I'm sure there are some third party apps out there that will allow you to write to NTFS from your Mac.
HFS+ - Will have full access from Mac but your PC will not have a clue what to do with it unless you have a third party app such as MacDrive.

I suggest HFS+ Journaled... it's what I use along with MacDrive on my PC's. HFS+ is just a superior file system to NTFS, and I hate FAT32. It's all really personal preference.

fwd-bwd

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
There is no need to use the antiquated FAT32. You CAN share a HFS+ drive with PCs with no problem. Because Airport Extreme in this case is a actually a file server (a NAS - network-attached storage), not a physical disk that connects to your PC. See my post here for a longer discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.