Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Electronista claims that MySpace.com is one of the few developers with early access to the iPhone SDK. They are reportedly working on a native iPhone application to access their site's services.
A finished version is not promised for Thursday's software development kit (SDK) presentation and may hinge on the announcement at Apple's campus before it can be released, though whether this is for code- or distribution-related reasons is uncertain.
MySpace is a very popular social networking website.

Article Link

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I'd rather have a more developed app for Facebook. The current web-based iphone app is severely lacking...

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
you would think facebook would be the first out with one since apple went far enough to make a commercial with them. The web app is alright but not ideal. If this is true, it would be nice if someone produced an aim app for Thursdays launch. Mobilechat is too unstable to be on any use.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
best news i've heard. myspace barely works on iphone right now. hopefully an awesome native app would fix that.... as for u facebook commenters the current web app works just fine and it one of the best developed web apps yet, and thankfully lacks all that facebook app ****:p

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
I some how doubt this just because Face-Nook actually made it into an advertisement which kinda suggests that they will be the social networking service apple defers to.

chickenninja

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
inside my skull
i cant believe this is news, it was only a matter of time. but still good news!!:)
Native app access is quite an honor if myspace warrants a native app then at this rate its goona get crowded. good thing it comes with seating for 16 gigs.

crudsponge

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
Detroit
Apple Will NOT Promote Myspace

First Off... Myspace is old. Sorry... Myspace is like a Pager. Everyone that didn't need one ran out an bought one 10 years ago... two years later, those same people stop using them. Same with Myspace... most people that ran home from work or school to check their myspace don't use myspace anymore. True, Bands on the road update their myspace regularly, and 16 year olds... but apple isn't going to go after Myspace. Myspace has a bad rap recently with Dateline, Peds, Creeps, 16 years old, etc... At work if you tell someone your on myspace it's a Joke! Seriously! Does Apple really want to be associated with that? Plus like it was brought out, Myspace is a mess. I'm sure some developer will create an App for Myspace, but I don't see Apple promoting Myspace or developing their own App. Besides, Imagine all the Crap people put on their page loading... even the songs that play. Half of it wouldn't show up right. So the App would really have to be scaled down Allot!

Second... if Apple Does create an App for Blogging... it will be Facebook. Come on people... were the hints not that obvious? Facebook on Apple TV? Jobs even demoed Facebook on AppleTV. Remember when Jobs called Starbucks when demoing the iPhone and ordered 2,000 Lattes? Later in the year they released the Starbucks App for the iPhone. Apple has been using iTunes to demo future looks and direction of Apple... aka Leopard Finder, so think iTunes... or AppleTV... 'Jobs Hobby'. Also, Facebook is a competitor to Myspace. Can't have Myspace on an Mac or iPhone with Facebook right next to it, and expect Apple to promote this.

You have to remember everything Apple does is carefully thought out and in Synce, kinda like 'iLife'. Take for instance Youtube & Apple...Youtube on iPhone, AppleTV... even iMovie has exporting directly to Youtube. Facebook is on AppleTV and in sync with your iLife package. Apple and Jobs have never mentioned the words 'Myspace.' Instead, Apple is going after Facebook... it's cleaner, and the direction Apple is going.
So where does Myspace exactly fit in all of this? No where.

My thoughts.

iStefmac

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
What kind of world is this, that the first reports of a native app resulting from early SDK, are MYSPACE?

Is this what YOU ALL have been waiting for?

I sure as hell hope not. How pathetic that its even on the front page.

craigverse

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2006
Reno, NV
Myspace has a much stronger user base and recently has basically become facebook on steroids. I have many upon many friends who have deleted their facebook in favor of their myspace.

More power to both however, the more apps the better. This will be an exciting time. I can't wait! :]

ChrisSamsa

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2007
I would welcome a myspace app because the actual site in safari is crap. I'm a full time, touring musician.. and a lot of the time I don't have access to internet, but Myspace is the greatest tool for any band's promotion, and this would definitely help me access that quickly and conveniently.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were true, this is generally how MySpace operates, they don't build different versions of their site like facebook.. except their severely under-developed mobile beta, but they did build an app for the younger generation's favorite "smart phone," the Sidekick, when the Sidekick was the phone of choice for a lot of myspace users. Now, the tides have turned, and the iPhone is mega popular and trendy.. even in very young people (myspace's largest demographic) Also, Facebook is getting all the press for their elegant use of the iPhone, which has actually caused me to switch and use facebook a ton more than my personal myspace, so I would guess that MySpace wants to battle that by being the first social network site to have a native app on iphone.

Either way, I'm sure we'll see a native Facebook app too, but MySpace may want to get in on the SDK announcement, or be first.

glennyboiwpg

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
I'd rather have a more developed app for Facebook. The current web-based iphone app is severely lacking...

Actually I find it the other way round. I find the full blown facebook (on a regular computer) is way to bloated. I really couldn't care less about facebook apps. (don't send me a picture of a drink, just send me a real one?!)

I find the iphone facebook app to be clear and concise, free of clutter and has exactly what I need to keep in touch with my friends.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
at this point i'd much rather have facebook also.

use facebook alot more. but sometimes i need to check myspace.

myspace is so two years ago at this point. they haven't upgraded at all.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Myspace has a much stronger user base and recently has basically become facebook on steroids. I have many upon many friends who have deleted their facebook in favor of their myspace.

I know many, many, many people (including myself) who did the exact opposite.

Myspace is old news. Nobody cares anymore.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Here is a thought, what if :apple:TV were to gain the function of MBA Remote Disc. This one feature would basically transform it into a Mac Mini or merge it.

Here is hoping for an :apple:TV update or :apple:TV Take 3. :D

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Come on people... were the hints not that obvious? Facebook on Apple TV? Jobs even demoed Facebook on AppleTV. Remember when Jobs called Starbucks when demoing the iPhone and ordered 2,000 Lattes? Later in the year they released the Starbucks App for the iPhone.

Facebook on Apple TV?

Starbucks on the iPhone?

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Facebook on Apple TV?

Starbucks on the iPhone?

I think he was referring to the iTunes WiFi Music store feature on the iPhone that will show the Starbucks option when you walk into a participating Starbucks (and allows you to preview and purchase the song currently playing in that Starbucks.)

It was supposed to be rolled out in Los Angeles by end of February 2008, but I haven't found a Starbucks anywhere here that has implemented this yet. Still just in San Francisco, New York and Seattle as far as I know.

crudsponge

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
Detroit
Correction: your right... Facebook isn't on AppleTV, Flickr is. (yes, I did get them mixed up) I don't use either, I find most of the blog sites pointless to be honest. If that's your thing, cool.
Although, I am writing my thoughts in this blog? lol :)

However, I still say APPLE won't design an App for MySpace. Will someone else? Yes. But APPLE WON'T. Myspace is something Microsoft would jump all over. Myspace is Dead for 'average people'. True, Musicians use it... yes. but how many people run home and check their Myspace, or post a blog on someone else's myspace?

Starbucks on the iPhone... mmm Where have you Been? Ya... it's on there. And 'possibly/rumored' more then just downloading songs Starbucks plays in the store. (if available)

Flickr on iPhone... that's where I'd put my money... I would see Apple going there. It's on AppleTV already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.