Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During the iPhone SDK event today, Apple announced that they would be releasing to developers the same APIs and Tools that they use to create iPhone apps.

Based on existing Mac OS X technologies, the SDK provides a robust package of tools for developers to use to develop iPhone native applications. The SDK is broken down into the following sets:

Cocoa Touch - Multi-touch events, Multi-touch controls, Acceleromter, View Hierarchy, Localization, Alerts, Web View, People Picker, Image Picker, Camera
Media - Core Audio, OpenAL, Audio Mixing, Audio Recording, Video Playback, JPG, PNG, TIFF, PDS Quartz, Core Animation, Embedded OpenGL
Core Services - Collections, Address Book, Networking, File access, SQLite, Core Location, Net Services Threading, Preferences, URL utilities
Core OS - OS X Kernel, BSD TCP/IP, Sockets, Power Management, Keychain, Certificates, File System, Lib System, Security, Bonjour

A software iPhone emulator for Mac OS X is provided to help with development.

Apple wrote a couple of quick demo apps, and also invited software developers to try to see what they could come up with in 2 weeks. EA demoed Spore for the iPhone, with 18 levels, an editor and accelerometer controls.

Also demoed:

- Epocrates - popular drug reference application for physicians.
- Salesforce.com
- AOL AIM (instant messaging client)
- SEGA's Super Monkey Ball

Native iPhone apps will be distributed through the iTunes App Store, with wireless downloads. Developers pick the price, and get 70% of revenue. The 70% will be paid out to developers monthly, and there are no other fees. The iTunes App Store will handle over the air updates to your applications. Developers of free applications will not be charged for Apple to deliver their applications through iTunes.

All this will come with the iPhone 2.0 update, in beta today going to thousands of developers. Customers will get it in June as a free software update to iPhone users. Meanwhile, iPod Touch users will be charged a small fee due to accounting issues.

The SDK will be available for free public download today.

Article Link

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Everything about this sounds fantastic, except perhaps the June release. But hell, it's something to look forward to.

Grats to Apple for knocking this one out of the park.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Question: is iPhone development Leopard/Xcode3-only, or will it work on Tiger/Xcode2? Anyway, AWESOME developments, I'm really excited about developing for iPhone now! They really packed so much in there, it's impressive, on the surface at least.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Well...it wasn't what I expected. No sling media. No app store till June. Yea, they should of just waited until wwdc.

xenotaku

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
its only 3 months, calm down everyone. Perhaps the launch of 2.0 will coincide with 3G iPhone as well.

archonium

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
I guess that's why the aptly named it a 'roadmap'.

It's not an actual release/launch.

Sounds really awesome though! I can't wait to have AIM without having be on a web app.

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
new phone

when they talked about enterprise didnt they say this would be built into the phone, now they r saying that this will come out in june 1 yr anniversay of the iday. is it possible theres a new phone.

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
And Touch owners are getting screwed again since they will have to pay for the update!

That sucks.

rlove06

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
Washington, DC
The Enterprise Apps are great!

I can wait till June if it's going to be more solid.

I wonder if we'll see 3G before then or coincide with the release :confused:

All in All, Apple's done well.

Going to be a big step for them into the enterprise world!

Ohh, just got a memo down from the boss.

Meeting in 30 minutes about iphone deployment to the enterprise.

Gotta Go!

AMessy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
At least we know when it's coming, and won't have to listen to months of speculation and false rumors. This is very un Apple like :)

I'm excited for the update, even if I have to pay for it on my iPod Touch, the last update was well worth the $20 to me.

pmarcovi

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2007
Another "Accounting Charge"

They think we are idiots. If it worked one, they do it again. They are back with the accounting charge crap for the iPod touch owners :mad: ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.