Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
The main question I haven't seen an answer to is this.

1) If I was accepted into the $99 dollar developer program, when I put my apps on my iPhone, will it stay with my iphone or only as long as Xcode open and my iPhone is connected to my mbp?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I don't think anyone knows the answer to this since that functionality doesn't exist yet until people start receiving the 2.0 firmware.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I don't think anyone knows the answer to this since that functionality doesn't exist yet until people start receiving the 2.0 firmware.

According to the event Kainjow, you can develop apps using the simulator or the uploading it to your device.

They said they would start accepting applications soon.

I understand the concept of the Appstore, and the final product will be chained through the appstore, but what about for developers who want to test their app on their own iphone?

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I am thinking of calling Apple HQ and request to speak to some engineer about this.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
According to the event Kainjow, you can develop apps using the simulator or the uploading it to your device.

They said they would start accepting applications soon.

I understand the concept of the Appstore, and the final product will be chained through the appstore, but what about for developers who want to test their app on their own iphone?

Yes, I know you'll be able to test apps on your own phone, but this requires the 2.0 firmware, which isn't available yet because AFAIK they haven't started the iPhone Developer Program yet (maybe they have, but no one's gone public about it yet).

I'm just saying no one knows the details about how the apps interface with the phone and how long they stay on there. You could try emailing ADC though.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Yes, I know you'll be able to test apps on your own phone, but this requires the 2.0 firmware, which isn't available yet because AFAIK they haven't started the iPhone Developer Program yet (maybe they have, but no one's gone public about it yet).

I'm just saying no one knows the details about how the apps interface with the phone and how long they stay on there. You could try emailing ADC though.

Thank you,

Yeah. I guess with the 99$ fee you get access to the 2.0 Firmware. Do you need the 2.0 firmware though to have apps loaded onto the iphone or just a digital certificate?

I am pretty sure the SDK works like the tools that apple uses. I don't know, I know the Enterprise people applying for an enterprise beta, would get the 2.0 firmware because it has the enterprise features.

But for the developer program, do you really think they need access to the 2.0 firmware to load apps on the iphone?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Either the current 1.1.4 firmware supports 3rd part apps or it doesn't. I'm willing to bet it doesn't.

I also think the $99/year is for the certificate, because don't you usually have to update those yearly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.