Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zuplar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
i was curious if anyone could help me help a friend. he is having problems with his G3's screen flickering. occasionally it scrambles but at other times it works fine. he said he was told this could be a common problem. does anyone know what would cause this.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Sounds like either a Ribbon problem between the screen the Logic Board, or a faulty Logic Board. See if it qualifies for the extended repair, or try using an external screen (if possible).

TEG

srent5

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
CA
Yah, that does sound like the logic board, I had a similar problem with my older iBook G3 which was actually covered under Apple, because of its known defect. I was actually able to find the link to their site, but not sure if they are still honoring the program.

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

*actually just noticed it did end last year, but maybe there's still hope*

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Applying pressure underneath the left palm rest on the bottom cover is where the graphics chip is and what is causing the problem. Taking the bottom cover off and putting some kind of material in there to "shim" the chip against the bottom cover usually solves the problem.

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
out of curiosity, which G3 are we talking about?

The colorful 'toilet-seat' G3s or the newer G3s which look like the G4s?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.