Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
As of now ESPN.com seems to be okay. Restart your mac and clear your browser cache and all should be fine.

If there were other sites using the same stuff (some have said latimes.com), then I would guess it is up to those sites to fix it.

This does not seem to be Apple's problem, IMO, but rather Adobe's.

lvdjgarcia

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2007
Thanks

Worked for me! Thanks for the help.

As of now ESPN.com seems to be okay. Restart your mac and clear your browser cache and all should be fine.

If there were other sites using the same stuff (some have said latimes.com), then I would guess it is up to those sites to fix it.

This does not seem to be Apple's problem, IMO, but rather Adobe's.

POLBOSS

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Turn off AirPort, or disconnect your Ethernet cable or both, open Macintosh HD (or whatever you named your HD) open the global Library folder (not your personal Library), open preferences folder, Trash the SystemConfiguration folder, restart your computer, turn on your Airport or connect your Ethernet cable. Problem solved :)

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Turn off AirPort, or disconnect your Ethernet cable or both, open Macintosh HD (or whatever you named your HD) open the global Library folder (not your personal Library), open preferences folder, Trash the SystemConfiguration folder, restart your computer, turn on your Airport or connect your Ethernet cable. Problem solved :)
This worked for me. Thanks!

TJones

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I've been getting a rash of lock-ups this morning at multiple sites. Even this site was beach balling. I disabled Javascript and that seems to have sorted things out.

Even Firefox was locking up so who knows what the heck is going on.

sbj

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
ESPN crash

Safari and Firefox freeze the moment I go to espn.com. Right at the home page. Just started happening today, Sat. 3/8. MacBook acting fine otherwise.

Patrickjam

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
Had the same problem starting last night into the morning. Reset router, cleared cache and OK now. Problem definitely not with the Mac. Something at the site (mainly ESPN and YouTube) went haywire.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
So mine seems to be working ok now. I tried restarting and clearing cache and resetting Safari, but no luck last night. It just fixed itself sometime today.

Jrolls

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
restarting and clearing the cache worked for me.. thanks for all the people who advised this.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
I'm on my 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro, and whenever I go to http://www.espn.com or http://www.youtube.com (on either safari or firefox), I get that spinning beachball.

The problem just started today. I've had my MBP for over 9 months now, and this is the first problem I've had.

tman08- this probably isn't a problem with your RAM or whatever, because I have the exact same problem and I haven't installed anything or made any changes recently.

Someone diagnose this PLEASE.

(I too have had to command, option, escape out of the unresponsive windows)

ESPN is a site which seems to be design for IE. It seems as if you have a plugin (Flip4mac?) which is outdated?

tmaeus

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
Solution -- from Apple-Support forums

I spent a good bit of time Friday night pinpointing the problem as a specific element on espn.com (and then Ad-blocking that element). Never did any of the uninstalls/reinstalls being discussed on this thread, just restarted -- a lot (well, I did repair permissions after some of the restarts, but they seemed fine). Then, Saturday afternoon, the following post appeared on the thread, confirming my results:

Keith Lam

I know lots of you were/are having problems with ESPN.com crashing your browser. You get the spinning beach ball of death and then you need to force quit. If this has happened to you within the last 24 hours. As in after 8pm EST March 7, 2008, you need to restart your computer and you can visit ESPN.com again without any crashing. You don't need to delete anything or change anything. Just a simple restart. Thanks for your patience while this was fixed.

15" MBP rev2 Mac OS X (10.5.2) ESPN.com Web Developer​

JerZDevil111

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
A twist?

Hi all, I was having the same issues as everyone while visiting ESPN, youtube, etc, and while I was researching the problem, the display on my Macbook OS X 10 4.11 went screwy. I clicked on my system preferences, and the display went into what almost looks like a negative photo image (a lot more white and black) and the resolution dropped significantly.

My display looks fine during startup, and for a few seconds once it's completely booted, it's fine, but then goes back to crap. My display also looked completely fine when I ran a disk utility from my Install disk. I repair and verified everything, restarted, and still have the same issue.

I'm at wits end. I wanted to post this first off to get any help, and second to see if this happened to anyone else or if it's just my screwy Macbook. This is honestly the first issue I've had with this laptop, and i've had it almost two years. Thanks for any assistance.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
I clicked on my system preferences, and the display went into what almost looks like a negative photo image (a lot more white and black) and the resolution dropped significantly.

I can't help you, but I do know it's not serious. There is an adjustment somewhere (in Sys Pref?) that allows you to make a negative image on your display, and it sounds like you've accidentally activated it. I will let someone who knows more point it out to you. Perhaps you should've started your own thread concerning this problem, it might've gotten noticed faster. Good luck,
Morod

TJones

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Hi all, I was having the same issues as everyone while visiting ESPN, youtube, etc, and while I was researching the problem, the display on my Macbook OS X 10 4.11 went screwy. I clicked on my system preferences, and the display went into what almost looks like a negative photo image (a lot more white and black) and the resolution dropped significantly.

My display looks fine during startup, and for a few seconds once it's completely booted, it's fine, but then goes back to crap. My display also looked completely fine when I ran a disk utility from my Install disk. I repair and verified everything, restarted, and still have the same issue.

I'm at wits end. I wanted to post this first off to get any help, and second to see if this happened to anyone else or if it's just my screwy Macbook. This is honestly the first issue I've had with this laptop, and i've had it almost two years. Thanks for any assistance.

Control+Option+Command+8 ??

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
For those who needed to change their home page from espn I think all you would need to do is disconnect the net, and then open Safari and change the homepage. It should work.

SI.com has exactly the same headlines as ESPN.com, not always as good of content, but I am down on ESPN anyway so I prefer SI for many things.

JerZDevil111

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
It's not a negative, sadly. I wish it were that easy. I started another thread to help me with the issue, and have tried nearly everything under the sun. Thanks for the help though, it was much appreciated.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
back from the dead, I have this issue on all three of my browsers... safari, firefox, and camino.

Sorry to hear that...:rolleyes:...I would help you but you are a Jayhawker!!!

Go Tigers!!

on topic- I actually have had a horrible time with Safari lately on my flatscreen iMac desktop but it is an older versions (OS and Safari)- my Safari on my Macbook (and Firefox) are running really well...so I can't be of help- even if I wanted to!:D

lazarogb

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
Same Problem Without Espn

Hey guys, i've been having the same problem browsing on safari and on firefox with the "beachball" thingy... i havent visited espn.com but it happens a lot on youtube and right now that i was using gmail.
i have a new MBP 2.53ghz, 4gb ram.

It's pretty annoying anyone know whats causing this??

thanks

zacheh

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Hey guys, i've been having the same problem browsing on safari and on firefox with the "beachball" thingy... i havent visited espn.com but it happens a lot on youtube and right now that i was using gmail.
i have a new MBP 2.53ghz, 4gb ram.

It's pretty annoying anyone know whats causing this??

thanks

Having the same problem with my new Mac Pro. I Have to do a hard reboot after each time the browser freezes because the keyboard becomes unresponsive.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I have no issues now (except for the Kansas fan:D) with safari but I am using my new MacBook Pro unibody....on the iMac Flatscreen though it is a different story- it is running Tiger and won't run most heavy content websites including espn, facebook, etc.

I am still running Leopard...I have snow on disc, but not installing it until it is updated a few more times.

Raynewoman

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
*Freezing*

It absolutely has nothing to do with ESPN.
I have not gone onto that site, and I am having the same problem that many people seem to be having.:confused:

It is freezing every five minutes, and is making it near impossible for me to get any work done.

I read that it may be a plug-in, so I tried uninstalling the cooliris plug-in. Still, the same thing is happening.

I have heard that it could be a bad connection. I have been in an Extended Stay for the past week, but it has continually gotten worse until I can barely do anything.

I am just hoping to find a quick-fix in one of these forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.