Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrizzlyHippo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
on the sofa
With all the negative talk of warped screens, lids, latches and faulty screens, I just want to know if anyone has received their new 15" PB and has NO problems with it?

I'm expecting mine in about 2 weeks and am considering cancelling the order for a few weeks until Apple corrects the faults on the production line.

So, any of you have a GOOD new 15" PB?

Cheers,
Grizzly

willmg

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
MA
Mine is fine as well, no warping, no dead pixels, though the screen no longer sits completely flush with the base in order to prevent key markings and this may be what some people are comenting on, I went to apple store and all of theirs where the same and the guy said thats the new method to prevent the markings. Only thing I have decided I dont like completely is the slot loading drive, it just scratched one of my DVDs slightly so now gonna be real careful to make sure it isnt scratching all of my discs.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: anyone got a GOOD new PB 15"?

Originally posted by GrizzlyHippo
With all the negative talk of warped screens, lids, latches and faulty screens, I just want to know if anyone has received their new 15" PB and has NO problems with it?
Generally everytime someone complains about an issue it gets echoed by others until it is out of proportion. A lot of people get good systems. Get LCDs with no bad pixels. The people who get good hardware don't say much of anything, except maybe in response to questions like yours. However their responses tend to get buried by the people whining - even if the whiners have never seen the bad hardware themselves.

My opinion is that if there were any line production problems, they've been straightened out already. Apple pretty much jumps right on the problems like this when they get reported.

RajK

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2003
I got my PB last week and I don't have any problems with it right now. I'm very happy with it.

DigitalFr33dom

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2003
What type of Specs did you get on your powerbook? or did you get it default no things added, because I am ordering mine tonight :D but want to know how long the avarge wait is , on the (canadian) website it says 7-10 days or 3-6 if i get expediated shipping :D so i am wondering how many other people got a good powerbook???

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Mine is perfect, not a single fault or complaint at all. It runs quietly, I have never once heard the fan come on or feel it get hot, the screen latches perfectly, the screen is beautiful and clear without dead pixels, and the DVD has not eaten any CDs. I am very pleased with the built and quality of this machine to the point where I have been tempted to send a feedback email to Apple to just praise them for giving me the best computer I have ever had.

As far as specs, the only things I have added BTO are the single DIMM 512 RAM and the 5400 RPM HD.

willmg

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
MA
Mine was 1.25GHz, Single 512MB chip, Superdrive, 80GB 4200rpm

Ordered Sep. 16 11:30AM

Recieved Sep 25 12:00PM

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Opened the box 5 days ago, and have been giving it a good look-over since. Easily the most solidy built laptop I've ever owned or even seen, MUCH better than the TiBook. This thing is solid. Makes me want the 17" now!

DigitalFr33dom

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2003
Originally posted by Les Kern
Opened the box 5 days ago, and have been giving it a good look-over since. Easily the most solidy built laptop I've ever owned or even seen, MUCH better than the TiBook. This thing is solid. Makes me want the 17" now!
the battery life is ussally about half an hour to an hour longer than OSX says so lol, because i know some people who have their pb's it says like 2 hours and 30 mion, yet their at 3 hours of use and 20% of their battery left, and yes they were using it for some stuff :D

stoid

macrumors 601
Tack on another vote for good Apple products. I received mine on Friday and have used it almost continuously since because it is so frickin awesome. I am completely blown away by it's awesome craftsmanship. I give it 4.5 stars of 5 simply because with normal use, I only get about two hours of battery life, and I was hoping for a little more.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So is the battery life short, or is it inaccurately displayed? For myself, 3 hours is acceptable, while 2 hours is bad.

And does the screen come to you warped, or does it warp slowly over a few hours of use? Is it a manufacturing error on some of the machines, or is it because of the heat and pressure through its use?

DigitalFr33dom

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2003
Originally posted by stoid
Tack on another vote for good Apple products. I received mine on Friday and have used it almost continuously since because it is so frickin awesome. I am completely blown away by it's awesome craftsmanship. I give it 4.5 stars of 5 simply because with normal use, I only get about two hours of battery life, and I was hoping for a little more.

its inaccurately displayed :D

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Yip, mine is pretty perfect too.

Lid closes fine, no warping, no dead pixels, latch keeps it shut.

Mine is 1.25Ghz w/ one DIMM of 512 everything else 'stock.'

The battery life is around 2 hrs, but this seems to be the norm.

Overall, switching couldn't have been easier.

drewcare

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2003
I've got the stock 1.25Ghz one, didn't change anything and nothing is wrong... no dead pixels, no warping, the screen isn't 100% flush with the base, but i'd rather have that then marks on my screen (but i still keep the packing that came w/ my powerbook over the keys just to make sure). all i have to say is, i'm in love. For battery life, I've seen anywhere from 2 1/2 hours to about 3. I haven't really timed it or anything, but I know that it hasn't run out of juce on me yet using it in my classes, or running around, although I plug it in whenever i have a chance, like the library, or in a lab.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
How are you guys getting 2 hours on battery? I turned airport and BT off and let it drain on the first day to calibrate and it took nearly 3 hours and 40 minutes to finally die. This was even during installing MS Office and listening to a CD off and on, too.

Andrush

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2003
nearly perfekt

stock 1,25 GHz, arrived on Thursday, everything's alright but a single pixle which is little lighter than the others. Nothing anyone would see if he doesn't know, I mean I don't really mind at last. HD is quite, screen is bright and backlight makes me a hard on :D
Perfekt machine, love it.
Love to apple for delivering it two days before my birthday, love to u all :p

Mineral

macrumors member
May 10, 2003
Arkansas
Mine has been flawless as well.

With airport running, I get about 3 hours on average of battery life (not looking at the battery clock in OS X.. real time). I could get 3.5+ I'm sure if I wasn't on the 'net.

GrizzlyHippo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
on the sofa
Thanks...

Thanks for the replies.

I figured this was the case, but not having read any positive comments on the new PB's I just wanted to check there were some out there.

For anyone interested, I've ordered the following spec though my local reseller:

1 - PB15 1.25Ghz, 1Gb ram, 60Gb 7200rpm hd.
2 - External Wiebetech MicroGB 800 HD enclosure to house the standard OEM 80Gb HD from the PB.

Can't wait for it all to arrive!

Grizzly

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Re: Thanks...

Originally posted by GrizzlyHippo
Thanks for the replies.

I figured this was the case, but not having read any positive comments on the new PB's I just wanted to check there were some out there.

For anyone interested, I've ordered the following spec though my local reseller:

1 - PB15 1.25Ghz, 1Gb ram, 60Gb 7200rpm hd.
2 - External Wiebetech MicroGB 800 HD enclosure to house the standard OEM 80Gb HD from the PB.

Can't wait for it all to arrive!

Grizzly

Sounds good, these new PowerBooks are pretty amazing machines and I am sure you will enjoy yours.

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
How are you guys getting 2 hours on battery? I turned airport and BT off and let it drain on the first day to calibrate and it took nearly 3 hours and 40 minutes to finally die. This was even during installing MS Office and listening to a CD off and on, too.
Even casual web surfing uses up quite a bit of juice, due to the high hdd usage (not to mention airport). It is also a matter of cpu settings, screen brightness, volume level, etc.

uptick

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2003
NY
Also a new user of the 15" PB.
Picked it up from an Apple Store over the weekend - no warped hinges or dead pixels or scratches or fingerprints or any other noticeable blemishes. It's a solidly built laptop, and it feels that way :).

Through first-hand experience, I have to say mine has a case of getting a high fever. Then again, maybe it's what I'm making it do: continuously rip CDs into iTunes. With the CPU, hard drive and superdrive running full-blast and in concert, the Powerbook gets hot (my concerns posted in another thread elsewhere). I surmise that if you're a low-intensity battery-conserving user, it should run cooler :rolleyes:.

On the slot-loading superdrive, I wonder if that felt-like "lip" serves not only to keep dust out of the drive, but to sweep the disc surface of dust as it gets loaded in. When inserting a disc, it doesn't feel like the disc is centered in the slot. But it does suck the disc in rather voraciously when inserted to within about 1" :D.

Overtime, I wonder if all those exposed ports on the sides will gather much dust. Wish they could be hidden and covered just like the PC card slot is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.