Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackbelt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I want to be able to test the applications that i wrote on my iPod Touch. Does this require buying the package ($99:()?? i want to test the app not sell it.

Thanks

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I want to be able to test the applications that i wrote on my iPod Touch. Does this require buying the package ($99:()?? i want to test the app not sell it.

Thanks

Yes, this does require that you pay the $99, although Apple is not actually giving out the packages yet.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
that's not the SDK, just Xcode, the SDK is not beta, at least not according to Apple http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/

Taken from the iPhone SDK readme.
This beta release of the iPhone SDK includes a complete set of tools, compilers,
frameworks, and documentation for creating iPhone OS applications. These tools
include the Xcode IDE, and the Instruments analysis tool, among many others. With
this software you can develop applications that run on iPhone and iPod touch using
the included iPhone Simulator.

Says beta pretty clearly.

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Well the fact that they said the SDK wasn't ready for final release until June may have been a good indication that it was in beta.

I thought that they only said that iPhone v2.0 and the AppStore weren't going to be ready untill June..

nokq

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2003
Testing Applications

Thanks

I believe it does. Under the iPhone OS Programming Guide -> Development Environment -> Working with a device -> Preparing Devices for Deployment, it specifically states

"
* Become an iPhone Developer Program member
* Obtain a developer certificate
* Designate your device for development
* Obtain and install a provisioning profile
"

Note that the "Obtaining a Developer Certificate" section says that you need to create a certificate through Keychain Access and upload it to the iPhone Dev Center. I could not find this upload location on Apple's site. I assume you get access to this after Apple charges you the $99 fee. After this, you get two certificates(Apple Root and Apple WWDR certificates) that you can download from the site and configure XCode to see.

Often helps to RTFM :)

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Even if you had a code-signing certificate you'd still need the provisioning profile info from Apple. I imagine that getting this file/info is to protect the cell network from spurious apps mucking things up, and maybe mucking up your otherwise working iPhone.

You can still use the simulator which does most everything a real device does.

But really without Interface Builder support (yet) making any real day-to-day apps is a major pain. I bet there are a smaller subset of developers who have the IB update w/iPhone OS support included. All the better to let the big guys get a head start on making pricey, official, awfully corporate, commercial apps for App Store Launch Day in June (instead of us piddly little ShareWare guys).

And don't forget a lot of the stuff is under NDA (I guess the actual programming interfaces since the Xcode stuff was shown off publicly).

nokq

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2003
Even if you had a code-signing certificate you'd still need the provisioning profile info from Apple. I imagine that getting this file/info is to protect the cell network from spurious apps mucking things up, and maybe mucking up your otherwise working iPhone.

You can still use the simulator which does most everything a real device does.

But really without Interface Builder support (yet) making any real day-to-day apps is a major pain. I bet there are a smaller subset of developers who have the IB update w/iPhone OS support included. All the better to let the big guys get a head start on making pricey, official, awfully corporate, commercial apps for App Store Launch Day in June (instead of us piddly little ShareWare guys).

And don't forget a lot of the stuff is under NDA (I guess the actual programming interfaces since the Xcode stuff was shown off publicly).

The more I looked at the SDK last night, the more I thought I can't do much yet. I've got a load of documentation to pour over though. The fine print in all of this is that the Developer Program is only available to a "Select U.S. based Developers".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.